GlowInTheDark

old threads

Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:35 am

(Totally changing the subject)

I really think that old threads (say, more than 1 year old - i.e., since last post) should be removed, but I sort of get why management here does not want to do that.

But, given that, I do think that they should be automatically locked - i.e., kept around (for archival, continuity, whatever reason(s)), but not be able to be added to. That would solve a lot of issues.
Poster of inconvenient truths.

Back from a short, unplanned vacation. Did you miss me?

Tau

Re: Need to return Pi's

Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:02 am

if no post in 24mnth then lock the thread
the originator could request the thread to be re-enlivened if there is additional useful into

JohnsUPS

Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:47 am

I try to watch the OP date, but it can be missed. Maybe find a way to noticeably mark a post that has been resurrected from the past? Maybe highlight the date somehow or mark it in a way that is readily apparent to readers/potential posters?

LTolledo

Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:06 am

if no post in 24mnth then lock the thread
the originator could request the thread to be re-enlivened if there is additional useful into
been hotly contested in the past....

the result:
maintain the status quo...
and that ended the discussion...
(AFAIK there were several casualties)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:28 pm

we have begged for an automatic solution to lock old posts, but its seems we are asking too much.... :? :roll:

[p.s. April 2021, we now have auto subject locking if the last post in the thread becomes older than 180 days (six months)]

Heater

Re: old threads

Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:36 pm

I have had notification, by PM or email, from forums I have not visited for years about posts I had long since forgotten.

It happens that someone has a similar problem or interest in some obscure thing that they can't find discussed or documented anywhere. So they post a question to an ancient forum thread. In the hope someone is still listening. Had they started a new thread I would never have known.

So I'm not so keen on auto locking old threads. Certainly not deleting them.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

fruitoftheloom

Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:38 pm

Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

jbudd

Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:58 pm

we have begged for an automatic solution to lock old posts, but its seems we are asking too much.... :?
Sorry, probably a dumb quesstion...
Is it based on a database? SQL?

GlowInTheDark

Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:04 pm

OK. interesting.

Looks like me and management actually agree on the desirability of a course of action (auto-locking).

It's just that the functionality to do that (automatically, without mods having to manually do it) doesn't exist in the software.

That's a shame.

(PS/BTW: I am assuming [and you know what that means] that the person/entity being "begged" to is/are the maker(s)/maintainer(s) of the PHP forum board software. The point of this parenthetical being that it might be some other entity - say, higher ups at RPF/RPT/RPwhatever...)

stevend

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:27 pm

Perhaps the best of both worlds would to be to display some sort of warning message when a user clicks on 'reply' to an old thread. Minimal extra overhead (check 'last post' date in the code).

The message would very briefly point out the options, and give 'New Thread', 'Reply Anyway' and 'Cancel' buttons.

Undoubtedly it wouldn't filter out all the necro posts, but should catch some of them.

Couldn't find a standard extension to do this on a quick look, but shouldn't be difficult to do (shades of existing "there's been a new post since you hit 'reply'" feature).

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:06 pm

stevend wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:27 pm
Perhaps the best of both worlds would to be to display some sort of warning message when a user clicks on 'reply' to an old thread. Minimal extra overhead (check 'last post' date in the code).

The message would very briefly point out the options, and give 'New Thread', 'Reply Anyway' and 'Cancel' buttons.

Undoubtedly it wouldn't filter out all the necro posts, but should catch some of them.

Couldn't find a standard extension to do this on a quick look, but shouldn't be difficult to do (shades of existing "there's been a new post since you hit 'reply'" feature).
Unfortunately that presumes the "necro poster" is "really human" as opposed to a "spambot". Especially if some spambots have now been designed to be able to detect their "clean first post", to an ancient (or not) thread, being approved and then insert a spamlink after such approval? :twisted: I'm wary of "first posts" that are "replies" within existing threads. However, given the size and age of this forum a "requirement" to introduce yourself (in a specific thread) before being approved is no longer viable (and was probably only workable pre-spambots).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P3B+, P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

MiscBits

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:46 pm

mahjongg wrote:
we have begged for an automatic solution to lock old posts, but its seems we are asking too much.... :? :roll:
? It's a free extension https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ck_topics/
No one told me 2020 was a trilogy...

rpdom

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:34 am

MiscBits wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:46 pm
mahjongg wrote:
? It's a free extension https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ck_topics/
That's not the issue.
Unreadable squiggle

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:50 am

Have asked our forum admin to look into using the extension to lock posts...
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

thradtke

Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:27 am

Pity. I use old threads from time to time, and not only my own.

Is there a functionality that only users with N contributions can write to an M months old thread? That would be the better solution.

But whatever you do: Please don't delete my (or anyones) old threads/posts please.
Rocket Scientist.

GlowInTheDark

Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:16 am

Pity. I use old threads from time to time, and not only my own.
Nobody is seriously talking about removing them (although, N.B., I personally think that's the right move, but, politically, it just ain't happenin').

The thing that is being discussed is "auto-locking" them - i.e., making them read-only after a period of time (inactivity). I don't think that that would be something to which you would be opposed.

Two additional comments:
1) You can always start a new thread, and say something like: I was reading the thread titles "How to <whatever>..." and I would like to continue discussing the general idea here.
2) One of the things I am trying to fix (i.e., prevent) is the inevitable "Wow! What a necro!" verbiage that you always see when someone does respond to a long-dead thread.

gsh

Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:50 am

Ok,

I've enabled auto-locking on a private forum to check whether it is working correctly and it seems to do the right thing.

It does seem to require enabling on a per forum basis, but was thinking of autolocking any thread where the last post was 90 days old...

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

bjtheone

Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:57 am

Obvious its RPT's forum and you have the most experience, but auto-locking at 90 days seems too short. It would be interesting to see thread life span stats and get some sense of the point at which additional comments are disconnected or disjoint from the main body of the thread.

davidcoton

Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:00 pm

+1
Given that a proper analysis is probably too much work, how about starting at 180 days (or even a year) but keeping a "watching eye" on how it works?
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

thradtke

Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:12 pm

gsh wrote:
Ok,

I've enabled auto-locking on a private forum to check whether it is working correctly and it seems to do the right thing.

It does seem to require enabling on a per forum basis, but was thinking of autolocking any thread where the last post was 90 days old...

Gordon
Could I have my threads unlocked by contacting the board of moderators (e.g. by reporting the original posting)? Thus far, some have been necro'ed more than once for good reasons. It would be nice to keep one topic in one thread.
Rocket Scientist.

thradtke

Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:21 pm

GlowInTheDark wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:16 am
Nobody is seriously talking about removing them (although, N.B., I personally think that's the right move, but, politically, it just ain't happenin').
So, you'd want to remove e.g. the image-utils thread if there's no traffic for some time? Purging all the good information there? Or my Pi 500 thread with listings, schematics and lots of cool contributions and improvements?

I'm one of those using the search funtionality of this formum and always be happy when I don't have to ask a question a second time, or when I find some valuable information. Locking is not good, but purging the stuff would be (sorry!) plain silly.
Rocket Scientist.

GlowInTheDark

Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:26 pm

Calm down. As I said, politically, it just ain't happenin', so no worries.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:46 pm

bjtheone wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:57 am
Obvious its RPT's forum and you have the most experience, but auto-locking at 90 days seems too short. It would be interesting to see thread life span stats and get some sense of the point at which additional comments are disconnected or disjoint from the main body of the thread.
I suspect the 90 days is so that he can determine that the autolock is working correctly, not that that is the time period to use for the public forums. In most of these threads, the bulk of the debate has always been over how log a period of inactivity should lead to locking. The most commonly supported ranges have been on the order of 6 months to a year.

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:47 pm

gsh wrote:
Ok,

Gordon
I'm with DavidCoton on 180 days.
It'll be interesting to see how long that PHPBB3 extension is going to take to run on nine years of posts. You may need to do it in phases to avoid killing the wee beastie.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on Twitter/LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:57 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:47 pm
gsh wrote:
Ok,

Gordon
I'm with DavidCoton on 180 days.
It'll be interesting to see how long that PHPBB3 extension is going to take to run on nine years of posts. You may need to do it in phases to avoid killing the wee beastie.
Since--apparently--it has to be applied forum by forum, that could be done one at a time rather that hitting all of them at once.

Return to “General discussion”