o19

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:51 am

Hey,

spent another couple of minutes on my "no keys" problem. Since the week has been pretty busy up to now I didn't manage to organize new parts yet, but I tried a slightly different setup using a phone power supply and only the data portion of my y-cable. As I expected I got the same results as before. So it's either the cable (as mentioned above I'm pretty sure I didn't mess up the pins, but it might just be a poor cable) or my keyboard is dead.
An Atrix might actually help, or some known-to-work cable combination. :) Anyone able to supply one of those in the Bay Area in exchange for a coffee? Otherwise I'll just go and try to find some other cables at nearby stores or wait until I'm back in good old Europe and have access to all the tools...

Best, Jan

o19

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:48 am

Okay, quick update. Looks like something is wrong with my dock. I borrowed a keyboard at work and it works. Not only if it's directly connected to the Pi, but also when it's connected to the docks hub and the dock is connected to the Pi using my y-cable. Same thing for the touchpad.

So if I didn't miss the part where I have to turn on the lapdock keyboard somewhere it seems to be broken. I'll probably just let it go until I'm back home... 40$ is still a steal for the screen, the hub and the battery...

johnbeetem

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:20 am

o19 wrote:So if I didn't miss the part where I have to turn on the lapdock keyboard somewhere it seems to be broken. I'll probably just let it go until I'm back home... 40$ is still a steal for the screen, the hub and the battery...
Bummer. I wonder if the you can turn screen brightness up and down by holding down a "fn" key and pressing the '~' and '{' keys. Screen brightness is handled within the lapdock, so this would tell you if the keyboard is completely dead or it's the USB connection to the keyboard.

Might just be a loose cable in the Lapdock. The Lapdock is pretty easy to disassemble to get at the main circuit board, but watch out for the 12V battery voltage.

o19

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:46 am

That was actually a good idea to track it down further. Controlling the brightness didn't work as well, so I'll use the coming weeked to have a look inside the dock below the keyboard. I already had removed the cover towards the rear once, but didn't see anything. Anyway, it's a great exercise...

o19

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:31 am

Success! After closing the connector for the ribbon cable of the keyboard unit (keyboard side), it works! I just don't know how long I'm going to use it this way now, since the dock is so modular, that I actually might want to build something less laptop-like from the parts :) Thanks a lot for all the help.

This helped a lot as well: http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/crac ... ainer;b60b

The Ardent Serpent

Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:44 pm

I assembled an RPi computer system created strictly from plug and play parts (i.e. no soldering/splicing). I'm happy to say it came to a success.

I've posted a parts list and schematic for those who are interested:
http://www.ardentserpent.com/#12

Full size pic:
http://www.ardentserpent.com/images/rpicomputing.jpg

1HzCoder

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Ordered the lapdock and cables ect. over the weekend.
This is my kind of hacking. Has anyone thought of running a twisted pair of greenwires from the unused data pin outputs on the power micro usb around to the data terminals of one of the usb outputs? Looking at the schematic and enlarged photos it looks like it could be done. That is if you can solder that small, something I can only do on my best days. All hacking would be inside the Pi case, hopefully making a neater job on my "FrankenPi", and leaving all usb outputs free. It's not even born, yet I have named her.
What do you think?
Einstein once said you don't really understand anything until you can explain it to your Grandmother

johnbeetem

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:13 pm

o19 wrote:Success! After closing the connector for the ribbon cable of the keyboard unit (keyboard side), it works! I just don't know how long I'm going to use it this way now, since the dock is so modular, that I actually might want to build something less laptop-like from the parts :) Thanks a lot for all the help.

This helped a lot as well: http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/crac ... ainer;b60b
That's terrific! Thank you for the TechRepublic link -- I added it to the Wiki (http://elinux.org/RPi_Screens#Motorola_Atrix_Lapdock).

Bobknopfler

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:13 am

Hi o19, can you expand on the fix a little for me please. I'm having a similar problem but the atrix is brand new so I think a fault is unlikely. I've tried adjusting brightness and volume without success. Everthing works fine with a usb keyboard plugged directly into the rpi. Is there a way of testing the lapdock?

Thanks.

o19

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:30 am

Bobknopfler wrote:Hi o19, can you expand on the fix a little for me please. I'm having a similar problem but the atrix is brand new so I think a fault is unlikely. I've tried adjusting brightness and volume without success. Everthing works fine with a usb keyboard plugged directly into the rpi. Is there a way of testing the lapdock?

Thanks.
Sure. I bought my Atrix second hand, but it came in the original packaging. With the first attempt and a y-cable based on the sketches in this thread I got HDMI and power working right away. Only USB data seemed not to work. To try if your issue is indeed similar to mine, I'd try to plug the USB keyboard into one of the female USB-A ports on the lapdock. If that gives you data over the y-cable, you might have the same issue.

In my case the blue ribbon connector in this image (http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/crac ... hotopaging) wasn't connected properly. To get there I just disassembled the dock following that entire slideshow. Once I'd gotten there and reconnected it, I followed it again, this time using the << button. :)

Everything inside the dock is fixed with screws or good quality connectors. The connectors use different mechanisms to keep the cables in place, but it should be easy to figure out how they work. If you found the proper way, you won't need to apply brute force. The only tools I used were a screwdriver and a pair of tweezers (for the connectors).

The connector right of the tweezers in this image (http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/crac ... photo-roto) should be the 12V power connector. You might want to disconnect it first.

AND: You'll most likely void your warranty. I went for it, because I bought mine as "used" and for cash. If you can go for an RMA, that might be the simplest solution...

Bobknopfler

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:10 am

Excellent advice.

A standard usb keyboard plugged into the lapdock doesn't work either, so it looks like my Y cable is no good for the data connection. Maybe the cheap cable was a bad choice. I'll order another asap and make sure it's a female micro to male A type.

Thanks again for your help.

Bobknopfler

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi o19,

Just a quick question for you.....

If you connect your lapdock only to to the rpi through the hdmi and provide power to it, can you adjust the volume or brightness using the lapdock keyboard? I can't, which I'm guessing might suggest a fault on the unit?

Thanks again,

Nick (frustrated !)[*]

Chris1975

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:46 pm

What are the commands to enable/disable ethernet? Thanks in advance.

stubz151

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:52 pm

is there touch support? and any sound

Chris1975

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:13 pm

stubz151 wrote:is there touch support? and any sound

No touchscreen. Sound works well though.

Chris1975

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:21 pm

Chris1975 wrote:What are the commands to enable/disable ethernet? Thanks in advance.

Nevermind.I found them. :lol:

Devfarse

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:57 am

Newark has a good supply of Pis from what I have seen over the last few days. I ordered one and all of the necessary connectors for about a 6 foot standoff from the Pi and got a new Atrix lapdock off of amazon for $80. I only have a laptop and no external monitor so I had been looking for a separate monitor and USB keyboard so this think is a great fit for me and worth it for the nice form factor and battery.

I will be getting a rev 2 model B so I will try to backfeed power through the USB A connector but if I have problems I will just use the micro USB and make the Y adapter. Sometimes it is vague, but am I correct in assuming that the micro USB can't be used in host mode?

brainchill

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:12 am

This is cool for the pi but its also a really cool application for a generic keyboard video solution for around the datacenter ... thanks!

johnbeetem

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Devfarse wrote:I will be getting a rev 2 model B so I will try to backfeed power through the USB A connector but if I have problems I will just use the micro USB and make the Y adapter. Sometimes it is vague, but am I correct in assuming that the micro USB can't be used in host mode?
The RasPi Micro USB jack only connects Vbus (+5V) and GND. It does not connect the USB data lines. You shouldn't have any trouble with backfeed: RasPi rev 2 directly connects its USB A ports to 5V0 = TP1.

Bobknopfler

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:10 pm

Update.....

I don't know if it's due to buying cheap cables or not, but the problem of the keyboard/trackpad not working was down to the green and white wires being switched. To solve this it's simply a case of connecting the green to the white and the white to the green.

Very pleased with myself for working this out using a meter!

Next challenge is sound over the hdmi, followed by wifi.

Much happier now.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:33 pm

Bobknopfler wrote:If you connect your lapdock only to to the rpi through the hdmi and provide power to it, can you adjust the volume or brightness using the lapdock keyboard? I can't, which I'm guessing might suggest a fault on the unit?
Adjusting the display brightness via the keyboard should work, but I don't recall anyone being able to adjust the volume via the keyboard.

It appears audio is processed within the phones with which these docks were designed to work where the particular keyboard Fn key codes are being interpreted by the phones, but the Pi has no idea what those key codes are supposed to do, and it just ignores them. The display brightness, on the other hand, is apparently controlled completely within the lapdock, so the linkage is there between the Fn key codes and control of the display via something like lapdock firmware.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Bobknopfler

Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks Jim, you're right. This is a good way of working out if it's the lapdock or the set-up that's at fault. I nearly returned my lapdock before discovering the green/white wire problem.

Devfarse

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:16 pm

A quick update on which parts to buy for a successful adapter set. The last of my things arrived today and after some splicing, everything works perfectly. I chose to only backfeed power through the USB A connector.

Micro USB female to male adapter $4.28
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EJHH20

HDMI male to Micro HDMI Male $6.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060AU5MW

Atrix Lapdock new in box $71.99 (it has a UK keyboard but only affects placement of symbols. This is also where you could save the most money by shopping around. Price is dropping, I paid $79.99 11 days ago)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M17D62

Micro HDMI Female to Micro HDMI Female $5.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280761232832

Optional USB Male to Micro USB Male $5.79 (if you dont have a spare USB lying around that you can hack up or if you need to provide power to the micro USB instead of the USB A connectors.)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ES5ZSW

All items have free shipping and the last item shipped directly from China to the US in 11 days. No grinding or sanding of the connectors is required either; there is plenty of clearance between them when connected to the lapdock.

Total price $95.04... not too bad for the best possible RPi mobile setup and all new stuff.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:44 am

Has anyone experienced the trackpad locking up where the cursor stops responding and the LED no longer turns off/on when double-tapped to lock/unlock the trackpad? The buttons and keyboard still work, so you can Ctrl-Tab between windows and type into terminal sessions, Ctrl-Esc to get to the LXDE menu, direction arrows to navigate menus, etc.

Logging out of the X session doesn't fix it, as reentering via startx doesn't restore response, which suggests a hardware/driver soft failure (i.e., it's not hardware fatal). I think I've had Chromium running every time, but I can't say for sure 100%. Of course, I always have too much running, but only because the Pi keeps fooling me into thinking that I have a full-fledged laptop using the lapdock - I'm amazed at how responsive LibreOffice runs.

I'm not overclocking or doing anything else non-stock, BTW.

Other than this, I'm more than happy with my PiTops!
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

malcolmmp

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:36 am

Hi all- I've been lurking on this thread for a while as I've waited for all my components to arrive. I just sat down this week and put it all together and things have been working pretty well so far.

I noticed some people have been having trouble trying to get the Volume +/- fn shortcuts working, and I just got a rough but working solution together today.

If you run Xev you can see that the key combo is generating XF86Audio[Lower/Raise]Volume events. If I understand correctly, LXDE doesn't natively handle those events. So if you edit ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml and add the following keybinds, you can increment the volume by about 10%.

Code: Select all

<!-- Volume keys -->
    <keybind key="XF86AudioLowerVolume">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>amixer -q set PCM 1064- unmute</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>
    <keybind key="XF86AudioRaiseVolume">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>amixer -q set PCM 1064+ unmute</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>
I was having problems incrementing by actual percentage. As far as I could tell, amixer wasn't behaving as described in the man pages. Any expertise on a more elegant solution is more than welcome! The next step would probably be to use an OSD system to present the state updates.

Also note that this solution is LXDE-specific, and would only work during your x session.

Return to “General discussion”