ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:46 pm

samighi11 wrote:I have ordered some of the new Raspi B+ models. I will post ASAP if the model works with the lapdock 4G models. I have been using them for about a year now and they are exceptions for Model A and Model B. Now lets see how Model B+ goes.

I should have them by Friday 7/18 and will post results by then if not sooner.
The lapdock works just fine as long as your cable does not rely on trying to backfeed the pi. Power must come in through the microusb slot.

samighi11

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:58 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
samighi11 wrote:I have ordered some of the new Raspi B+ models. I will post ASAP if the model works with the lapdock 4G models. I have been using them for about a year now and they are exceptions for Model A and Model B. Now lets see how Model B+ goes.

I should have them by Friday 7/18 and will post results by then if not sooner.
The lapdock works just fine as long as your cable does not rely on trying to backfeed the pi. Power must come in through the microusb slot.
Do you have one already and tested?

ShiftPlusOne

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:03 pm

I don't own one, but I have access to them and yes, I have tested it.

riklaunim

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:34 pm

If you need more power on the RPI (like for USB) then you will have to power it separately with stronger power adapter. Model B on its own will work, but like B + Gertboard was underpowered when powered from Lapdock.

MisterC
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:07 am

HI all,

Had the same problems with "No HDMI Input" and not powering up. I had it working yesterday, and then it became inoperable for unknown reasons. Only being a newbie, I wasn't keen to do any soldering after looking up a bunch of posts. I checked the micro-USB to USB-A cable by changing it, and voila! Sorted. Still looking into why, though. If anyone has an idea why that may have been the issue, any help would be hot.

Cheers,

MrC.

MisterC

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:11 am

MisterC wrote:HI all,

Had the same problems with "No HDMI Input" and not powering up. I had it working yesterday, and then it became inoperable for unknown reasons. Only being a newbie, I wasn't keen to do any soldering after looking up a bunch of posts. I checked the micro-USB to USB-A cable by changing it, and voila! Sorted. Still looking into why, though. If anyone has an idea why that may have been the issue, any help would be hot.

Cheers,

MrC.
Found it. I was in a rush, and had forced one of the micro-USB female pins down and out. It was bridging between the pins and the shield. Ugh. So simple, and I had a proper heart attack about it!

Lob0426

Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:58 pm

The Lapdock works fine with a B+.

I still was using the older style cable with separated power and USB ( and a power switch). It was a tight fit as the microUSB power and HDMI connectors are very close on the B+. I will be making a new cable that fits better, but the old one works for now.

Using a back feeding cable is out for the new board.

I updated and upgraded the SD card from the Lapdock then used Win32DiskImager to copy it. Then I transferred it to a Micro SD card. Booted first time and I had WiFi and all working. I did not have the Seagate GO HDD plugged in. When I plugged in the GO and booted I lost the keyboard and touchpad. Then I rebooted and did not have WiFi. The third time I rebooted everything worked. It has worked for the last several boots.

It acted like the hub on hub fight that we had with the Lapdocks earlier on. Could also be a power issue. But so far it seems to have worked itself out for now. I might try powering the HDD from the RasPi rather than the Lapdock USB if the problems come back.

Other than that the RasPi B+ sits kind of off sided on the Lapdock compared to to a B Model.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Chris1975

Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:37 am

Hi. Does anyone else use MoC? Some of the keyboard controls aren't working for me. In particular the volume controls. Any help would be appreciated.

James75

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:29 pm

Hello all, I have read this post from start to finish (plus anything else I can find on there web) and I cannot find the ans to my problem. Pls help if you can.....

My problem is with the keyboard mapping / configuration for the Lapdock 100 model. I have read the info on page 26 of this post and I have my keyboard set up as suggested (but for a UK keyboard).

Now the funny thing is, when I first boot up and enter my login details (using latest Raspian Wheezy dist) the keys behave as they should in that initial terminal window, however as soon as I launch the GUI with startx, all goes to pot. I think it is then changing into a US keyboard as @ is entered by 'shift + 2' which is where it is on my MacBook instead of 2 keys to the left of 'L'.

Has anyone else had this issue or got the faintest idea on how to sort this strange behaviour ? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have been working on getting the lapdock functional all week and this is the last hurdle that I have fallen at (although there have been many other hurdles too but have been able to resolve all other issues due to the excellent info on this and other websites!!).

My knowledge is pretty limited so please could any responses be newbie-friendly.

Many thanks

James.

James75

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:38 am

James75 wrote:Hello all, I have read this post from start to finish (plus anything else I can find on there web) and I cannot find the ans to my problem. Pls help if you can.....

My problem is with the keyboard mapping / configuration for the Lapdock 100 model. I have read the info on page 26 of this post and I have my keyboard set up as suggested (but for a UK keyboard).

Now the funny thing is, when I first boot up and enter my login details (using latest Raspian Wheezy dist) the keys behave as they should in that initial terminal window, however as soon as I launch the GUI with startx, all goes to pot. I think it is then changing into a US keyboard as @ is entered by 'shift + 2' which is where it is on my MacBook instead of 2 keys to the left of 'L'.

Has anyone else had this issue or got the faintest idea on how to sort this strange behaviour ? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have been working on getting the lapdock functional all week and this is the last hurdle that I have fallen at (although there have been many other hurdles too but have been able to resolve all other issues due to the excellent info on this and other websites!!).

My knowledge is pretty limited so please could any responses be newbie-friendly.

Many thanks

James.
Hi all,

panic over !! I have found the answer. This was in the 'changing keyboard language in lxde' post:

Report this postReply with quotePermalink
by Lirex » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:56 am
You can in user's home, the user create a file .xsessionrc

best in terminal

nano .xsessionrc --> Enter

setxkbmap de (override with your language)

Ctrl + o --> Enter

Ctrl + x

Logout - Login

now u have automatically your desired keyboard layout.

Lirex

Reading other posts I think my problem might have something to do with the fact that I have set up a static IP address. Either way it works a treat now!

James.

Steve Drain

Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:20 pm

[quote="Lob0426"]Using a back feeding cable is out for the new board. [B+]

But not for the A+.

This new board is the holy grail as far as I am concerned. My previous minimalised Raspberry Pips have all required a lot of fiddling and some compromise, but I can fit an A+ and all the extras in a cheap case easily:

More details at:

http://kappa.me.uk/raspberry_pip4.htm

samighi11

Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:46 pm

Steve Drain wrote:
Lob0426 wrote:Using a back feeding cable is out for the new board. [B+]

But not for the A+.

This new board is the holy grail as far as I am concerned. My previous minimalised Raspberry
Pips have all required a lot of fiddling and some compromise, but I can fit an A+ and all the extras in a cheap case easily:

More details at:

http://kappa.me.uk/raspberry_pip4.htm
Wow. This is amazing. Can you do a step by step built and parts how to? Lapdocks are hard to come by these days, but w A+ I want to built some for our school (hate to admit, but for minecraft and python coding).

I like the reset and power switches. And love the capacitor to avoid cover closure issues.

With the b+ I have been able to reduce cable lengths since the ports are near each other, but would love to have a plug in board.

Thanks for sharing. Impressive use of A+

Lob0426

Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:28 pm

The newly released A+ does back-power.

The Lapdock has an internal 4 port powered USB powered hub. The keyboard and the touchpad are internally connected. There are two external connectors. These are both high power USB ports.

I have had no trouble using either to power a USB HDD or a WiFi dongle. The Lapdock will run about 2 to 3 hours with a B model so should run up to 4 hours with an A+. Those figures are with an HDD with the OS attached and the WiFi. Without the HDD it should add a couple more hours.

The A+ size should really make it work well with the Lapdock.

Lob0426

Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:21 am

Just received an A+ that my brother bought for me. Connected it to the Lapdock, installed from NOOBS, used WPA GUI to connect by WiFi. Works very well. I need to make a new cable to use the A+ as a back-powered device.

Running update && upgrade on it now!

Much more compact than the B, A or B+. Now if they would offer it in 512MB one of these days.

Bill_A

Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:21 am

I bought one off ebay 61.95 with shipping but it has a cable with 2 male plugs. one micro usb power and the other with micro hdmi. Its a lapdock 500 motorola. I skinned back the wire to see how its wired up and its not as simple as yours. I am hunting adapters female to female both hdmi micro and usb micro before I try cutting and soldering.

If I were to take pictures of the wiring do you think you could give me some help or advise on how to wire it if I cant find the adapters.

Bill.

LapdockLuv

Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:50 pm

Bill,

Contact nosofer AT googlemail.com. He has made a USB splitter cable and also has access to an HDMI cable which I purchased to use RPi with my Motorola 100 Lapdock. I believe these will work with the 500 as well.

Bill_A

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:59 pm

Thank you. I will email them.
LapdockLuv wrote:Bill,

Contact nosofer AT googlemail.com. He has made a USB splitter cable and also has access to an HDMI cable which I purchased to use RPi with my Motorola 100 Lapdock. I believe these will work with the 500 as well.

qkall

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:59 pm

Out of curiousity, has anyone gotten the rpi2 working with the lapdock?

gregeric

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:11 pm

Rpi 2B works fine with the Lapdock, same cabling as needed for the B+.

cjan

Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:48 am

hi, which keyboard layout for lapdock choice?
touchpad mouse curser seems halt random & caps lock key blinking.

retknow

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Worked with the RPi2

mr_arc

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Just to be clear, when people are saying Lapdock - they mean the earlier ones. Not the Lapdock 100 or Lapdock 500. The Lapdock 100 has the connectors on a cable rather than on board at the back of the unit.
With the Lapdock 100 (I have one), it seems very difficult to get it to power the screen on and stay on.

I'm attempting to return it now as it seems useless, I don't want to perform a song and dance to get it to power on. It defeats the purpose of being portable if it's a faff to actually use.

If I can't return then it's coming to bits and I'll see if this stupid behaviour can be hacked out!

cptdodgerm

Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:47 pm

I have recently received my Pi2 and have successfully been using it on my lapdock100. As per instructions on other posts I had to modify the config.txt file and now with a boot sequence i can get the lapdock 100 screen displaying 100% of the time. It can take a bit of time getting used to but considering the lapdock is supposed to get the correct signals from a phone, i am prepared to put up with a slight bit of hassle to get it working.

The boot sequence is as follows:

Pre setup - Make sure the lapdock is fully charged and that you have both the HDMI and USB cables plug into the lapdocks connector and the lapdock screen is in the 'open' position. Nothing is plugged into the Pi2

1. Plug the HDMI connector into the Pi2, and pay attention to the 'power on' led on the lapdock. As you plug the connector into the Pi2, this led will quickly flash. (Lapdock is in a temporary power on state)

2. Once you have seen the power led quickly flash on the lapdock, remove the HDMI connector from the Pi2 but still pay close attention to the power led on the lapdock. After approx 30-40 seconds, this will flash again. This indicates that the lapdock has powered down.

3. Now plug in the HDMI connector again and you should see the screen on the lapdock activate. This where you need to be quick because as soon as you see the lapdock screen activate, you need to plug in the micro usb connector into the Pi2's power port. If you delay plugging in the Pi2's power connector, the lapdock thinks nothing is connected and will power off the LCD. If this happens, you need to start all over again from Pre-setup

4. If you have timed it correctly and plugged the Pi2's power connector in as soon as you saw the lapdock's screen activate, you will see the Pi2 booting into it's operating system. At this point while you see the Pi2 booting, plug in the other USB cable into the Pi2 so that the lapdocks keyboard and touchpad will function.

A couple of things to note. If at any time you power down the Pi2 and remove any of the cables, you must start from Pre-setup to be able to get the lapdock display to work properly. If you try to cut corners it just will not work. I've spent over 4hrs trying all sorts of different combinations in the hope the lapdock would quickly display again once i've powered down the Pi2 and removed it's cables but the only method that worked reliably and 100% was the method i've just described.

If you plan on leaving the Pi2 connected to the lapdock to return to it latter, just shutdown the Pi2 either by command line or via x windows, which ever one you happen to be in at the time BUT make sure you leave all the cables connected. Once you shutdown the Pi2 you will notice the LCD screen display goes off but the Pi2 is still powered on (Pi2 power led still on). Wait till the lapdock turns off it's power, you will know this by focusing on the lapdocks power on led. After approx 30-40 seconds of you telling the Pi2 to shutdown, the lapdock will power down. As soon as you see that led flash again to indicate the lapdock has powered down and provided you have not removed ANY cables from either the lapdock or Pi2, pressing the lapdocks power button will power on everything properly. You will notice the LCD activate and then the Pi2 booting instructions scrolling down the screen.

Like others I was frustrated at how long and cumbersome it took to try and get not only the Pi but also the Pi2 to reliably function with the lapdock 100 and now i can confidently say I have and i am pleased with the results. As long as I follow the procedure I've laid out, all i am basically doing is waiting 40 seconds each time for the lapdock to power down. That's a small inconvenience I am prepared to take :)

Rog

cjan

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:22 am

sorry guys,
oldest 256M version Rpi did not match Openelec V4 & V5 on lapdock, keyboard & touchpad not work, anyone had V3 or older version link?

Return to “General discussion”