kotiko

rpi-update without internet?

Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:55 am

Hi,

It's possible to download the latest version of "rpi-update", and the execute rpi-update from the file downloaded?

I want to update the Raspberry PI without internet connection.

Thanks.

AndrewS

Re: rpi-update without internet?

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:29 pm

kotiko wrote:It's possible to download the latest version of "rpi-update", and the execute rpi-update from the file downloaded?
If you have a Linux PC with an SD card reader (and an internet connection), it's possible to use that to update your Pi SD card using the rpi-update "offline" mode https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update#ro ... -boot_path

kotiko

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:37 pm

ok... but what I need is:

1-Download a new firmware and rpi updates in a file/files.
2-Upload this file on pi
3-Execute update with this file in Raspberry pi without internet

The rpi-update download a file in the raspberry, right? So I can post-execute this file downloaded?

Thanks

AndrewS

Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:45 pm

Why do you need to do it on the Pi, why isn't the offline-upgrade suitable for you?

rpi-update doesn't just download "a file" it downloads thousands of files... (from https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware) so in theory what you're asking is possible, but in practical terms it doesn't seem worth the effort.

kotiko

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:10 am

Hi,

Can I do this:

1-sudo apt-get --print-uris --yes upgrade | grep ^\' | cut -d\' -f2 >downloads.list
2-wget --input-file downloads.list
3-dpkg -i *.deb

Thanks?

rpdom

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:18 am

kotiko wrote:Hi,

Can I do this:

1-sudo apt-get --print-uris --yes upgrade | grep ^\' | cut -d\' -f2 >downloads.list
2-wget --input-file downloads.list
3-dpkg -i *.deb

Thanks?
Sort of...

Run step 1 on your Pi.
Copy the file downloads.list to a Linux system that has got internet connection.
Run step 2 on that Linux system.
Copy all the *.deb files to /var/cache/apt/archives on your Pi.
Don't run step 3, do this on your Pi instead:
3a-sudo apt-get upgrade

The apt-get upgrade will find that all the files it needs are already downloaded and will install them for you.

[edit]This isn't the same as running rpi-update. It will keep most of your software updated, just not the kernel and firmware.
rpi-update installs the latest "bleeding edge" kernel and firmware, which may, or may not, fix any problems you have.
apt-get will normally install the latest "stable" kernel and firmware, but as you won't be able to run "apt-get update" to get the latest list of available packages, you won't get any updated versions.

Your best bet is to try and get your Pi occasional internet access, I'm afraid.

kotiko

Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:37 pm

ok, thanks.

Do you know how is the command to update the raspberry with "sudo apt-get install XXXXX" kernel and firmware only?

Return to “General discussion”