Micha1982

Application launch toolbar-issue

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:56 am

There is a problem in the applaunch toolbar:

I installed Iceweasel but it did not appear in the applaunch-toolbar-softwarelist.

I managed to fix/add it manually - but when will this problem being fixed? It exists a while, when I am right before Jessie was launched!
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Application launch toolbar-issue

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:16 am

Micha1982 wrote:There is a problem in the applaunch toolbar:

I installed Iceweasel but it did not appear in the applaunch-toolbar-softwarelist.

I managed to fix/add it manually - but when will this problem being fixed? It exists a while, when I am right before Jessie was launched!
Have you upgraded Jessie ?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
There was an update for the Desktop Interface

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=122906
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

Micha1982

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:39 am

If the update was before the 25.october, there are still issues (I still got something like MagPi or PiStore in the list) - I am not writing about the startmenu - what I mean is the icon-bar next to it!

JimmyN

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:02 pm

When adding an item to the Launchbar it looks in "/usr/share/raspi-ui-overrides/applications" for the menu list. If the newly installed application places the .desktop file in "/usr/share/applications", as it has in the past, it will still show up in the menu, but not in the menu list that Launchbar checks.

I found that moving the .desktop file from "/usr/share/applications" to "/usr/share/raspi-ui-overrides/applications" takes care of the problem and the menu item will then show up in Launchbar as an item you can add.

If you look in "/usr/share/applications" and "/usr/share/raspi-ui-overides/applications" you'll see they contain the same files originally, everything that came preinstalled is duplicated in both menu directories. When you install a new application it will place the .desktop file in "/usr/share/applications" and it will be added to the menu. But to find it in Launchbar it needs to be placed in "/usr/share/raspi-ui-overides/application".

This is only a problem if you want to add a new item to the Launchbar. I think Launchbar should check the "traditional" location for menu items since that's where most applications will still place their .desktop menu file, or "/usr/share/raspi-ui-overrides/applications" should be just a link to "/usr/share/applications", so when you install a new application and want to add it to the Launchbar you don't have to putz around moving the .desktop file so Launchbar can find it.

Micha1982

Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:28 am

JimmyN wrote:This is only a problem if you want to add a new item to the Launchbar.
Thats what I mean. And the reason the bar being there.

You're right, that is what I found out, too. It is able to add things by hand - but it would be fine if it works as intended and things would be in the correct list automatically.

FloatingCloud

Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:59 am

I can't think of any reason why the RPi should use "/usr/share/raspi-ui-overrides/applications" instead of "/usr/share/applications". Maybe this is unintentional.

Micha1982

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:53 am

The problem still exists...adding new programs (in this case Iceweasel) to the applaunch toolbar still does not work.

Can someone please fix it?? Where to report it?

Micha1982

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:25 pm

Is Simon Long active in the forum, too?

DirkS

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:03 pm

Micha1982 wrote:Is Simon Long active in the forum, too?
I think he's here occasionally.
I would report any isses on github. In this case it's probably the lxpanel repo: https://github.com/raspberrypi/lxpanel

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 04, 2016 9:12 am

Sorry - I've only just spotted this.

I can't replicate the problem that you are seeing - what you are trying to do works fine for me.

I install iceweasel with apt; this causes Iceweasel to appear in the main menu under the Internet category. I then right-click in the launchbar, and open "Application Launch Bar Settings" - I open the "Internet" section in the list on the right, where Iceweasel is listed, and click "Add".

This gives me a working Iceweasel icon in the launchbar.

The use of /usr/share/raspi-ui-overrides is deliberate - it means that we can customise our version of Raspbian without changing dozens of packages which are installed by default.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”