kolsi

Re: Kweb Suite (Minimal Kiosk Browser, omxplayerGUI)

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:52 am

It also came to my mind. It is a single webpage with few AJAX snippets that are periodically refreshed in the background. But I'm trying Chromium and memory usage is being stable for many hours.

ALphacube

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:41 pm

Hey @gkriedl, how can I install kweb, and thereby omxplayergui, (and thereby smooth video playback on Firefox :D) on Arch Linux ARM?
I'm on a RPi3.
There is an AUR package for kweb, but it takes forever to compile webkitgtk on and straight-up throws up some random errors after a while.
Can you help me? I couldn't find anything for Arch.
Or is the AUR package unrelated to you, made by someone else completely.
Thanks in advance!

ALphacube

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:44 pm

ALphacube wrote:
Hey @gkriedl, how can I install kweb, and thereby omxplayergui, (and thereby smooth video playback on Firefox :D) on Arch Linux ARM?
I'm on a RPi3.
There is an AUR package for kweb, but it takes forever to compile webkitgtk on and straight-up throws up some random errors after a while.
Thanks in advance!
Yes, I know this is Raspbian land, and I'm technically very off-topic here, but it seemed the best way to get advice, and as a bonus from the developer themselves.

gkreidl

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:28 pm

ALphacube wrote:
ALphacube wrote:
I'm on a RPi3.
Thanks in advance!
Yes, I know this is Raspbian land, and I'm technically very off-topic here, but it seemed the best way to get advice, and as a bonus from the developer themselves.
Someone took an older kweb suite version and created an Arch Linux version. I'm not responsible for it.

As a develper I hate rolling releases. Programming for them is like walking on a swamp.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

ALphacube

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:34 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:28 pm
ALphacube wrote:
ALphacube wrote:
I'm on a RPi3.
Thanks in advance!
Someone took an older kweb suite version and created an Arch Linux version. I'm not responsible for it.

As a develper I hate rolling releases. Programming for them is like walking on a swamp.
Yeah, I know what you mean. As a user, it's slightly 'swampy' too, too many frequent upgrades, and keeping a stable setup gets very difficult. I'm only using Arch on the Pi due to the latest Firefox on there, which performs much better than the FSR version in the Raspbian repos. I'm a diehard Firefox fan, hence the measures taken for it. No worries, I'll poke around more and figure out a way to do it. Thanks anyway!

Shambler0

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:39 pm

Greetings. I am running latest version of kweb and omxplayerGUI on Raspberry Pi 1 model B (yes, it's old but it works fine otherwise).

After a while of using this to watch youtube intensely enough I invariably get a RECAPTCHAv2 challange ("click on all fire hydrants").

RECAPTCHA does not work on kweb or midori or dillo, and chromium times out on RPi after more than 10 minutes of trying to load the webpage.
Without JS enabled it does not load at all, with it the images are not clickable. Audio challenge does not work either - nothing happens.
I have a "normal" x86 PC but was unable to proxy the RECAPTCHA there in a way that would actually work.

Is there anything I can do other than discarding RPi and buying RPi4 or android device? Thanks.

I'm probably not the first to run into this, how do other people solve such problems?

gkreidl

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:14 am

Shambler0 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:39 pm
Greetings. I am running latest version of kweb and omxplayerGUI on Raspberry Pi 1 model B (yes, it's old but it works fine otherwise).

After a while of using this to watch youtube intensely enough I invariably get a RECAPTCHAv2 challange ("click on all fire hydrants").

RECAPTCHA does not work on kweb or midori or dillo, and chromium times out on RPi after more than 10 minutes of trying to load the webpage.
Without JS enabled it does not load at all, with it the images are not clickable. Audio challenge does not work either - nothing happens.
I have a "normal" x86 PC but was unable to proxy the RECAPTCHA there in a way that would actually work.

Is there anything I can do other than discarding RPi and buying RPi4 or android device? Thanks.

I'm probably not the first to run into this, how do other people solve such problems?
I suppose this is caused by new design elements at youtube which may be incompatible with the old webkit1 engine.

Unfortunately the newer webkit2 engine is missing some important API calls which are important for kweb. Maybe I'll try to find workarounds in the future and then upgrade to webkit2.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

sveicken

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:35 pm

Hello,

I am impressed about kweb and the omxplayer. Works very well.

But on youtube.com I dont see anything. I only see empty frames, no pictures, no clickable links ...
But javascript is enabled. Everything is enabled (Full Power Browser - Config).
Another example: On the raspberrypi.org-forum-side I get some menus on the wrong place.

What am I doing wrong? I tried different configurations ...
Maybe I just miss an easy thing? I read parts of the manual but I didn't find something.

Thank you very much for the help,

Kind Regards, Sven

gkreidl

Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:58 am

sveicken wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:35 pm
Hello,

I am impressed about kweb and the omxplayer. Works very well.

But on youtube.com I dont see anything. I only see empty frames, no pictures, no clickable links ...
But javascript is enabled. Everything is enabled (Full Power Browser - Config).
Another example: On the raspberrypi.org-forum-side I get some menus on the wrong place.

What am I doing wrong? I tried different configurations ...
Maybe I just miss an easy thing? I read parts of the manual but I didn't find something.

Thank you very much for the help,

Kind Regards, Sven
The youtube problem is quite new. The basic problem is, that the webkit(1) engine is getting too old and does not support some modern stuff (mostly CSS3 styling etc.). At the moment I cannot do anything about it.

Switching to webkit2 is unfortunately not easy as some of the API tools on which kweb depends have changed a lot or are completely missing. I'm currently working on another project, but will have deeper look into it in the future.

sveicken

Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:24 pm

Thank you very much, that explains why I did not find "the missing button". So I will wait, until you (or someone else) can solve the problem. Till then, I will have to find my own workaround. For example the bookmark-solution for chromium browser.

Thank you very much, the Kweb Suite is really cool!

Suhanko

Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:12 pm

I'm not sure if I need to do something more than open file:///usr/local/share/kweb/homepage.html, but I got only the text content of this file in kweb browser. I saved it as home default, restarted browser, started as root, changed permissions and so on. Nothing has worked.
Could someone give me a trace about, please?

gkreidl

Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:38 am

Suhanko wrote:
I'm not sure if I need to do something more than open file:///usr/local/share/kweb/homepage.html, but I got only the text content of this file in kweb browser. I saved it as home default, restarted browser, started as root, changed permissions and so on. Nothing has worked.
This file does not exist after installation. You have to create it in some way, e. g. by using kweb_edit.py (as root). By default, the menu page will be shown on start (if no homepage.html file exists).

Suhanko

Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:39 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:38 am
Suhanko wrote:
This file does not exist after installation. You have to create it in some way, e. g. by using kweb_edit.py (as root). By default, the menu page will be shown on start (if no homepage.html file exists).
Thanks to answer.
I got it! Is not just a file copy. It works now! Thank you!

MiamiRedFish3

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:03 pm

Hi all, I installed Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta test version and was trying to install kweb and omxplayer. Following kweb installation steps, I got this message:
Dependency is not satisfiable: libwebkitgtk-3.0-0
And for omxplayer, got this message:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
omxplayer:armhf : Depends: libavcodec58:armhf (>= 7:4.0)
Depends: libavformat58:armhf (>= 7:4.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Do you all know if kweb and omxplayer will eventually have the 64-bit version of the software or are there solutions to circumvent this by compiling it directly on the 64-bit version?
Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:59 am

To MiamiRedFish3,
You might need to update the software. Try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
on the command line, then reinstall kweb and omxplayer.

Kevan876

Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:55 am

Goodnight, I know this is a long time but I'm trying my luck, how can I erase everything after installation?, I want to give my younger brothrthe pi without the plugin

MiamiRedFish3

Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:09 am

552233114 wrote:
To MiamiRedFish3,

Dependency.jpg
Dependency.jpg (126.05 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
Got the same dependency error on a Raspberry Pi 4 64-bit OS. Looks like kweb currently cannot be installed on 64-bit OS.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:27 am

MiamiRedFish3 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:09 am
552233114 wrote:
To MiamiRedFish3,

Dependency.jpg

Got the same dependency error on a Raspberry Pi 4 64-bit OS. Looks like kweb currently cannot be installed on 64-bit OS.

The latest release of kweb pre-dates the ARM64 release by a year.
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

gearhead

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:05 pm

@gkreidl

I too am developing on arch arm for RPIs. I was able to build the old kweb version from the git repo https://github.com/ekapujiw2002/kweb. It is quite old. I get a browser and can use it, but there seems to be a problem pointing it at http://localhost/, It will not display the page (fixed - enable js). Chromium is what we have been using, but it is quite large/heavy for us since all we need to display is php/html/png (and js). We want to go full screen w/o title bar and be able to scale the page, so the requirements seem to be aligned with kweb but we need to be able to point it at the localhost.

edit: I figured out what was going on. We are using js and I needed to enable it by the cli, when enabled, the old version we compiled will connect to the localhost and display the pages.

So I started looking around a bit and found this thread. I downloaded the 'src' from this link:http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kwe ... src.tar.gz but it appears to have compiled kweb and components in the archive I downloaded. I was looking for source to compile. Is the source code available? What is the license? Is it something we could put in our FOSS audio player?

Is there a way to scale the full screen from the command line? We intend to not have a keyboard and want to pre-select the zoom percentage when it is used. With chromium, we can pass it a flag ' --force-device-scale-factor=0.7' and scale it by 70%

COASTER19

Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:11 am

gearhead wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:05 pm

Is there a way to scale the full screen from the command line? We intend to not have a keyboard and want to pre-select the zoom percentage when it is used. With chromium, we can pass it a flag ' --force-device-scale-factor=0.7' and scale it by 70%
Go to the "Editor page". From there find the header "keyboard editor" and select "autoconfig" from the drop down menu. Add the following to the first line without the quotes: "?+++++". This will zoom the page to 150%.

For my kiosk mode application running on a Pi Zero W, my startup string is

kweb -ZKHCUA+-zbhrqfpoklgtjneduwxyavcsmi#?., http://127.0.0.1:5000/
I do not know of any way to get more fine control over the zoom level (my application would perfectly fit the display at ~145% for example). Ironically this makes kweb a poor choice for a 24/7 kiosk application where you need to precisely fit the application to the display. The speed and memory usage are wonderful though, greatly extending SD life with swap and logs disabled.

If anyone knows of a way to get finer control of zoom please let me know, this browser is otherwise perfect for pi zero projects.

gearhead

Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:22 pm

@coaster19 thanks, that helps. I was able to find the source code of the latest 1.7.9 after reading through the current manual. I will build it and see how far I get. IMO, this would be easier to find and more broadly used if the current version and info was on github. It seems all the other browsers are bloating up and this one is staying lean. Ideal for a kiosk, IMO.
Does anyone know if the 1.7.9 is built against WebKit2 API/ABI instead of WebKit1 API/ABI? I guess I'll find out soon enough. The old 1.4 version of kweb that I found on github is built against WebKit1 API/ABI (webkitgtk version 2.4.11 is the last version to support the WebKit1 API/ABI) which is pretty far out of date and difficult to build against. If it is against webkit2 API, it will be much easier to build it for aarch64 as I cannot build the old webkit1 for aarch64...

update: it does not use WebKit2 API. Bummer. Maybe 1.8.0 will?

In the spirit of FWIW, the old API version of webkitgtk which is webkitgtk 2.4.11 or earlier has a number of security vulnerabilities. Many have been patched in the later versions. The last version of webkitgtk that will allow compile of kweb is this one. Webkitgtk is currently at 2.30.5. A sample of the old webkit security issues are here:
https://webkitgtk.org/security/WSA-2017-0004.html

MiamiRedFish3

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:15 pm

Hi gearhead, Were you able to run kweb on arch64? problem I am facing is chromium consumes too much memory on Pi 3B+ and unable to run kiosk based app on buster arch64. wanted to see if there was a lighter browser similar to Chromium. but it appears only kweb came anywhere close... but it wont run on arch64 :|

gearhead

Wed May 19, 2021 12:01 am

I never did. I am using luakit which is a webkit based browser. The others are surf and surfer that I have tried, but luakit works in xorg as well as weston. It does suffer from a memory leak, though and needs to be restarted every few days on a 3b+.

I have a hunch gkreidl is no longer with us. If someone wants to update kweb work with the current webkitgtk+, it would be a benefit to the community, IMO. It is beyond me to be able to do that. The link to the latest source is still valid: http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kwe ... src.tar.gz.

The first step, as I see it, is to update kweb to use the latest webkitgtk+ which is the webkit2 syntax. I think that after this is done, it could be built for aarch64.

djimmy

Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:01 pm

Hello,
@gkreidl It is possible to have an update for the last raspbian bullseye version ?

Thank you very much for your work. Kweb is very fast compare to chromium browser.

DougieLawson

Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:46 pm

djimmy wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:01 pm

@gkreidl It is possible to have an update for the last raspbian RaspiOS bullseye version ?
Guenter hasn't logged on to the forum since 20th Oct 2020 so you may be out of luck with that.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on Twitter/LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”