Adam Freeman

Re: STICKY: GAMES LIST: Games That Work On The Pi

Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:20 am

Hi,
New pi4 owner here, wonderful little device.

Unfortunately, after a bit of testing it would appear that not many of the games made for the OS (based on Debian) work on the pi family due to the ARM based architecture, So to answer your question (stevejones81), unfortunately no. A game has to be made to work with the hardware as well as the OS.

Having a gog and itch.io account, I have been working through the games that have linux versions hoping to get lucky.
Through a gog linux installer FTL works (one of my favourite games of all time):

https://www.gog.com/game/faster_than_light

And quite fittingly, the amazing pseudo mini console that is Pico-8 works (it has its own specific Raspi build):

https://lexaloffle.itch.io/pico-8

Apologies, I am new here and stumbled across this list and thought it helpful to add these two entries.
If these have been covered elsewhere on the forum, I hope you can forgive me, pls feel free to edit my post as you see fit.

Moonmarch

Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:38 pm

To see if a game from the repository can be installed on the Raspberry Pi computer. All you need to do is check the package page of the game on the Debian website. Scroll down the web page until you see the Architecture category. If you see ARMHF, that means that game can be installed on the Raspberry Pi computer. To install the game, you need to use the sudo apt install "game-package-name" command in the terminal. To uninstall the game, use the sudo apt remove "game-package-name" command in the terminal.

To find games that cannot be installed using the sudo apt install command. You would need to know how to compile software on Linux computers. There is no complete list of open source Linux games, you would have to find the games on your own. I recommend searching around the Gaming section of the Raspberry Pi forums. None of the game build guides receive stickies, even though there are topics with 10's of thousands of views. Most commercial Linux games are designed for the I386 or AMD64 computer architectures.

ptitSeb

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:36 am

Adam Freeman wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:20 am
Hi,
New pi4 owner here, wonderful little device.

Through a gog linux installer FTL works (one of my favourite games of all time):
You can run FTL on a Pi4 with box86 https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86. Give it a try, it's not that difficult to build it yourself, look at the README and COMPILE.md for some indications

Kzitold

Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:48 pm

Does ssh and telnet games count?

ssh sshtron.zachlatta.com
telnet telehack.com

Edit: Alternatively, you could SSH to telehack port 6668 as "guest" if you don't have an account.

Machai4

Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:45 pm

I was playing rimworld on Pi and it;s working pretty smooth

Debianking

Wed May 19, 2021 2:31 pm

you forgot flightgear(apt-get) and openttd (flatpak install)

dinchamion

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:56 am

Machai4 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:45 pm
I was playing rimworld on Pi and it;s working pretty smooth
How? I've been trying to get it running, but no avail.
---
Greg

Writer, nerd, Digitally Intelligent Neohuman.

shinniene

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:54 am

These can work on the Pi:

Doom.
Duke Nukem 3D.
Wolfenstein 3D.
Quake III.
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast.
Hurrican.
PiFox.

RasPiGaming

Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:42 pm

Has anyone else found that the Flathub version of Sonic Robo Blast 2 works well on the Pi4 (don't know about other models)? I've found it works great!
An RPi can be a gaming PC. As long as you have the right packages and software anyway.
Using a RPi4 8GB with Ubuntu Desktop 21.04, main interests are gaming and programming. Also occasionally uses two RPi3B+ and a RPi3B.

zephirusar

Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:22 am

8-)
mrpi64 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:07 pm
PLEASE NOTE: This list hasn't been updated in years, and is likely to be out of date. No guarantees are given as to the accuracy of any of the below information - it is kept here for historical reasons.

Many thanks go to: PuppetHoundz.TheGreatNi
I run steam in raspian in rpi3b+ but only can play 2 or 3 games. Shadow warrior. Galcom 2, hated i make work now windows 11 on rpi3b+ , now play age of empires 2,plyable, epsxe in software render. 17fps. Dolphin emu 5fps xd. Snes emulator, Doom. Dosbox abandonwares. And more.w11 run x86 and x64 apps. Blasphemus run, but cant walk ,

Code: Select all

😝
, i run counter strike 1.6 in steam 5fps. , Broforce run but exreme slow. Diablo dont run. D2 dont run. Starcraft dont run. Continue testing. I can run over edge browser more browser emulator , psx , msx.

😎
i make a tutorial to help install it . In nexts days

RasPiGaming

Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:07 pm

zephirusar wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:22 am
8-)
mrpi64 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:07 pm
PLEASE NOTE: This list hasn't been updated in years, and is likely to be out of date. No guarantees are given as to the accuracy of any of the below information - it is kept here for historical reasons.

Many thanks go to: PuppetHoundz.TheGreatNi
I run steam in raspian in rpi3b+ but only can play 2 or 3 games. Shadow warrior. Galcom 2, hated i make work now windows 11 on rpi3b+ , now play age of empires 2,plyable, epsxe in software render. 17fps. Dolphin emu 5fps xd. Snes emulator, Doom. Dosbox abandonwares. And more.w11 run x86 and x64 apps. Blasphemus run, but cant walk ,

😝
, i run counter strike 1.6 in steam 5fps. , Broforce run but exreme slow. Diablo dont run. D2 dont run. Starcraft dont run. Continue testing. I can run over edge browser more browser emulator , psx , msx.

😎
i make a tutorial to help install it . In nexts days
If you're going to play Steam on the RPi, the best option would be the Pi4, the Pi3B+ you won't get as much out of. Do you run it all in Windows 11? If you use Linux you can use Box86 and 64 to run Steam (I haven't ran Steam through Box86 yet because I use a 64-bit OS so it's hard to get the needed libs, but I've used Box64 a bit and it works great!) and other game centers at higher FPS.

EDIT: Read more through your post, saw how you at first ran them in Linux. There are 2 reasons why some might not work:
1. If you're using Raspbian 32-bit, 64-bit games won't run.
2. Some games might use syscalls or libs that haven't yet been implemented in box86.
An RPi can be a gaming PC. As long as you have the right packages and software anyway.
Using a RPi4 8GB with Ubuntu Desktop 21.04, main interests are gaming and programming. Also occasionally uses two RPi3B+ and a RPi3B.

symbios25

Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:53 am

Windows 11 are awfull slow in Rpi3B+,and in RPi4 you need at least the 4GB ram model to make it somehow decent
you need to boot from usb from a fast flash drive or an ssd,the memory card speed is a joke
i had 40mb/s max read speed from the microsd in Rpi4 and now i have 200mb/s from a fast flash drive
use twister os it has box86 pre-installed
my self i have ported a few games to work in Raspbian like smoking guns,urban terror
anyone knows how to make Assault cube work without problems in Raspberry Pi ??

RasPiGaming

Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:14 pm

Some more games I've gotten working...
SuperTuxKart (needs some configuration)
Minetest (works decently)
Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart (no config needed)
Sonic 3D Blast DX (needs Box86 and Wine for installation, afterwards works through a Sega Genesis emu)
Just thought I should add these.

AkulaMD

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:27 pm

RasPiGaming wrote:
Sonic 3D Blast DX (needs Box86 and Wine for installation, afterwards works through a Sega Genesis emu)
Would be nice if @Botspot could incorporate it into his Pi-Apps.
Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) with desktop and recommended software
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8GB at stock speed (never overclock)

Never overclock your Pi.
Encourage optimization instead.

RasPiGaming

Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:38 pm

AkulaMD wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:27 pm
RasPiGaming wrote:
Would be nice if @Botspot could incorporate it into his Pi-Apps.
Which one? You can easily get them on Flathub. Except for S3D DX, that's more complicated.

Return to “Gaming”