Moelster

Raspberry Pi + Gameboy. (Yet another build log)

Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:14 pm

Hi everyone!
(Please excuse my norwegian-english..)

I've just bought my first Raspberry pi (ver 2), and started this topic to share my progress on building a pi-driven gameboy classic.
I know that this has been done successfully many times before, but I think I have some ideas to share with you guys.

The nostalgic feeling I got when opening the package containing the case was indescribable, even though the case is just a china-copy.

I started visualizing how I wanted it to look, and I started to make changes to the case.

First of all, I extended the LCD-hole to make room for a 3,5" screen, then i gutted the back-side of the case as much as possible. And this was the result.

Now I had to figure out what screen to use.
To be honest, I thought that composite video out was removed, but it was actually just moved inside the audio socket! :p
Every screen I found that connected via GPIO or DSI had this annoying offset (black vertical stripe), and that wouldn't work great with the case. But then i finally found a dead centered 3,5" LCD-screen that would fit the case perfectly

After figuring out that composite video is still present, I don't know if this is the screen I will use eventually.
It costs atleast three times more than the average 3,5" rear view car display, but I don't need to cut or modify no LCD controller-board.

I also wanted to add more buttons. Preferrably six, to be able to emulate psx. Two more in front, and four shoulder buttons.(Currently I am thinking about how to be able to play N64-games with the planned button set-up..)

First, I was playing with the shoulder buttons of a SNES-controller. It would've been awesome to fit four of them at the back of the Gameboy, but I scrapped that thought because of all the space it would take.

And since I had allready torn apart a SNES-controller, I didn't want it to go to waste.
So this is what I ended up with.

Backside

And both front and back

I really messed up when making the two extra holes in the front, by making them too big.. Now I am trying to figure out the best way to fix it without having to buy a new front.

I am trying to figure out what kind of juice I am going to feed the beast.
By salvaging batteries from dead laptops, I have two types of Li-Ion available. The classic round 18650, and a flat type.
The 18650 is rated at 2400mAh, and the flat is at 1900mAh. Some assembly needs to be done before I decide on which battery to use.

I have ordered:

Audio amplifier.
Battery charge/protection circuit
DC to DC step-up converter (5v)
Power switch
Volume thumb-potmeter
Silicone buttons

I am going to order:

3,5" LCD screen
Common ground dmg button pcb
Teensy
4 pole minijack socket

I am also planning to take apart a game-cartridge and superglue it to the game slot, to get some more space.

Do I have everything covered? :p
Time will tell.

Input is appreciated.

TO BE CONTINUED..!

C-Fu

Re: Raspberry Pi + Gameboy. (Yet another build log)

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:10 am

Awesome project!

Just a quick suggestion/question: why don't you use spare/old mobile phone batteries? might have a better fit.

zandercz01

Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:08 am

Hey,

Have you thought of using a small analog Joystick?
This means it's easier to play games and also transfers signals like a D-Pad.
I suggest you also let people access the SD card from the outside to allow for easy transfer of game and also USB ports on the side and mini USB charging. You could also incorporate a button (a small on) on the side to allow for a automatic return to the main menu.
If using a TFT monitor you could also try to remove the HDMI port for more room :)

Moelster

Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:44 am

A short update.
I recieved silicone buttons, power switch(es) and audio amplifier yesterday :)

For the two extra holes in the front I think I will do the same as I did for the shoulder buttons. To cut out a "button-frame" from a SNES-controller and fit the frame in the front. There is a slightly shorter gap between the original GB-buttons than in the SNES button-frame, but that'll have to do..

I am also concidering adding a pi-cam to the GB, just for fun.

C-Fu wrote:Awesome project!

Just a quick suggestion/question: why don't you use spare/old mobile phone batteries? might have a better fit.
Thank you, C-Fu :)
I've looked through some old cell phone batteries, but I find the most of them too weak.
I could try to find batteries for newer cell phones, though. I'll just wait and see how much space I've got left to work with after fitting most of the other components.

zandercz01

Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 am

Hey,

You could add a button (a small one) to take you directly back to the homescreen. Also you could install a joystick?

Also does the PI still need display drivers?

Moelster

Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:41 pm

zandercz01 wrote:Hey,

Have you thought of using a small analog Joystick?
This means it's easier to play games and also transfers signals like a D-Pad.
I suggest you also let people access the SD card from the outside to allow for easy transfer of game and also USB ports on the side and mini USB charging. You could also incorporate a button (a small on) on the side to allow for a automatic return to the main menu.
If using a TFT monitor you could also try to remove the HDMI port for more room :)
I've actually thought of purchasing a DS/3DS analog stick, but couldn't find a suitable place to fit it.

I will still need all the buttons currently present on the GB, so I have no idea where to place it.

I have thought about positioning the Pi in a way for the sd-card to be available from the outside, and I think I know how to place it combined with the game cartridge I am glueing to the back. :)

The idea to make charging and USB available from the outside is also good. I'll give it a thought :)

Both HDMI and ethernet ports are candidates for complete removal.

Drivers for the screen is downloadable from the seller of the LCD-screen :)

Thank you for the tips and input so far!

zandercz01

Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:51 am

Hey,

Also how did you sand down the back?
Also what about incorporating LEDs into it to look cooler.

Also what would be the point of a PI Cam

C-Fu

Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:10 am

Moelster wrote: Thank you, C-Fu :)
I've looked through some old cell phone batteries, but I find the most of them too weak.
I could try to find batteries for newer cell phones, though. I'll just wait and see how much space I've got left to work with after fitting most of the other components.
You should check out Xiaomi Redmi Note's battery, it's quite thin, and I believe should work with your step-up converter.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/O ... 31942.html

I have a bunch of these available if you want one, although I must note that I can't ship them to wherever you are since Malaysian Post doesn't allow me to ship batteries, and I have not tried shipping stuff internationally before.

zandercz01

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:47 am

Could you fit a joystick in the bottom corner?

Or remove the original D-Pad replace it with a Joystick and move the D-Pad down?

mouth78

Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:11 pm

Hii.

I am really interested in this post, I want to do a proyect as yours. Here I can learn and study your work, for the moment your proyect sounds great . I think the configuration buttons is perfect.

I will be here all days.

Please tell us your progress.

Moelster

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:28 am

zandercz01 wrote:Hey,

Also how did you sand down the back?
Also what about incorporating LEDs into it to look cooler.

Also what would be the point of a PI Cam
I've used a small stanley-knife for all of the modifications. The only place I've used a file was the button-holes, to get them nice and smooth.

LEDs sounds cool, I might get back to that when I'm close to finish the build :)

The cam would be just for fun. And to use it, I would have to use bootberry, to boot into raspbian or something.

C-Fu wrote:
Moelster wrote: Thank you, C-Fu :)
You should check out Xiaomi Redmi Note's battery, it's quite thin, and I believe should work with your step-up converter.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/O ... 31942.html

I have a bunch of these available if you want one, although I must note that I can't ship them to wherever you are since Malaysian Post doesn't allow me to ship batteries, and I have not tried shipping stuff internationally before.
Thanks for the tip! At 3100mAh, the battery sounds promising. Even though the battery is rather flat, it's still quite large.
Here's a picture of the size cut out on a post-it:

I will have to wait for the screen and controller-pcb before deciding on batteries.

zandercz01 wrote:Could you fit a joystick in the bottom corner?

Or remove the original D-Pad replace it with a Joystick and move the D-Pad down?
I could, I think. Great idea! I will have to give it some thought, and try to imagine how it will feel while playing.

mouth78 wrote:Hii.

I am really interested in this post, I want to do a proyect as yours. Here I can learn and study your work, for the moment your proyect sounds great . I think the configuration buttons is perfect.

I will be here all days.

Please tell us your progress.
Thank you, mouth78 :) I will try to keep you updated whenever there is something to share.

Since last update, I have recieved the battery protection/charging/step-up circuit board and the audio potmeter.

I have also created a temporary case out of a SNES game-cartridge, just to make the time pass!

It's still kind of rough, though.

C-Fu

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:20 pm

Moelster wrote: I have also created a temporary case out of a SNES game-cartridge, just to make the time pass!

Can you share the inside pics? Interested to see how much work needed for this, as I have a couple of SNES and Super Famicom carts lying around doing nothing.

Moelster

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:34 am

C-Fu wrote:
Moelster wrote: I have also created a temporary case out of a SNES game-cartridge, just to make the time pass!

Can you share the inside pics? Interested to see how much work needed for this, as I have a couple of SNES and Super Famicom carts lying around doing nothing.

Ofcourse! Here are some pics :)

I cut out a bit more than I needed. It was quite easy, actually :)

C-Fu

Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:05 pm

Moelster wrote: Ofcourse! Here are some pics :)
Cool! Thanks for that! Any reason as to the reason you position the Pi that way, instead of say, the usb ports are at the top part of the cart?

Moelster

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:38 am

C-Fu wrote:
Moelster wrote: Ofcourse! Here are some pics :)
Cool! Thanks for that! Any reason as to the reason you position the Pi that way, instead of say, the usb ports are at the top part of the cart?
Not really :p I found out that the micro-SD would fit perfectly (with some tiny adjustments) to the "clip hole" at the top of the cartridge.
It also felt more natural because the original circuit-board connection to the SNES-console is located at the bottom of the cartridge.

cleathy

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:17 pm

Hey man, i'm currently building one myself, so it could be awesome if we could discuss some of the problems along the path to creation ;) as a start, i can see that you've added 8 buttons total. shouldn't 6 buttons be enough, or is there a more elaborate plan to the button placement.

But cool stuff dude, keep us posted (:

kmusawi

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:05 am

HI,

Your post is just what ive been looking for!!

I really need your help on a simple question...how do you get the D-Pad to connect to the Pi ? is there a module you connect it to or what are you using?

cleathy

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:39 pm

kmusawi wrote:HI,

Your post is just what ive been looking for!!

I really need your help on a simple question...how do you get the D-Pad to connect to the Pi ? is there a module you connect it to or what are you using?
Hey, you can either use the GPIO pins or buy a Teensy (as far as i know)

Heres a somewhat guide to using the GPIO pins
https://learn.adafruit.com/retro-gaming ... pi/buttons

And heres a guide to using the Teensy to send different button presses
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_keyboard.html

mouth78

Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:22 pm

I impatient expect your advances.

Regards.

mouth78

Mon May 11, 2015 6:08 pm

Hello, do you have some news?

mouth78

Sat May 23, 2015 7:31 pm

Is the proyect dead?

mutendo64

Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:08 pm

Is this project deadso?

Return to “Gaming”