generatorlabs

ColecoVision & MESS help

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:19 am

I am the proud owner of a new R-Pi2B.
I have a Retropie image working on it and it is fantastic.
But for me the entire experience would not be complete without Colecovision.

I have tried following many posts regarding the installation of MESS and they seem straight forward but my newb hands are having trouble grasping what is going on here.

I downloaded advmess, decompressed it and followed a rather dated instructional thread by Shea Silverman (@2012). When I do to invoke ./configure I get a message that says "no video driver is available.... if you have the SDL library somewhere try using with-adl-prefix"

I am not sure what any of this means. I installed any dependencies call for in the instructional.

I would just like to get MESS as a emulator available in emulation station. I would like it also to be full screen. I have seen one or two videos that show colecovision running but only within a small windows in X. I want it to run in the console much like stella and mame do.

Any help really appreciated!

welshy

Re: ColecoVision & MESS help

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:18 am

generatorlabs
Welcome to thte Forum! I havent .as yet, compiled AdvMESS for the Pi2 but AdvMAME works fine so there should be little issue with its sister Program. I would surmise you haven't installed the SDL Libraries, they are a requirement.

AdvMESS - A “Beginners Guide” to Compiling and Using - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=23113
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

generatorlabs

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:48 pm

The link you provided was one of the resources I was using prior to starting this thread.
The SDL library and other dependencies were installed with no incident.
Does that instructional only apply to the older version of the Pi's?
Is there a different video chipset for the Pi2B?

welshy

Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:59 pm

generatorlabs
Mmm, it may be another 'Quirk' of the new Hardware/Operating System Kernel, I have found a few Programs that require slight tweaks and/or additions when compiling with Pcsx_ReARMed being one (notaz has apparently made the required changes to the code). As previously stated, AdvMAME compiles and works with no changes from the Pi1, I will give it a look when time is available to make sure the process of compiling AdvMESS according to my previous instructions is still valid. Just to check when configuring its asking for the SDL Libraries so I would surmise they didn't install correctly, don't forget, ALWAYS run sudo apt-get update to access the latest, correct dependencies!

generatorlabs

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:28 pm

OK cool....thanks in advance for anything you find.
I have a few spare SD cards so I will also build a fresh RetroPie image and start from scratch to install MESS just in case I have missed something.

Thanks

BarbuDreadMon

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:23 pm

https://github.com/libretro/libretro-fba allows you to play colecovision games too.

welshy

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:33 pm

BarbuDreadMon wrote:https://github.com/libretro/libretro-fba allows you to play colecovision games too.
FBA is an Arcade Board Emulator, as far as I know, it doesnt support ColecoVision Titles! I have an older version ColEm which was to slow to be practical on the Pi1, perhaps the Pi2 can run it efficiently.

BarbuDreadMon

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:04 pm

You are wrong, FBA support arcade, megadrive, supernes, pcengine, mastersystem, gamegear, sg1000 and colecovision games. And its libretro implementation do the same (i'm the maintainer). To check which cv games are supported, go to https://github.com/libretro/libretro-fb ... melist.txt and search for cv_ . By the way, to load a cv game, you need to load - for example - "cv_2010" but the rom should be named "2010.zip".

welshy

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:31 pm

BarbuDreadMon wrote:You are wrong, FBA support arcade, megadrive, supernes, pcengine, mastersystem, gamegear, sg1000 and colecovision games. And its libretro implementation do the same.
I stand corrected!

Neil Munday

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:32 pm

Hi,
BarbuDreadMon wrote:By the way, to load a cv game, you need to load - for example - "cv_2010" but the rom should be named "2010.zip".
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have tried this can I can't get my ROMs to load. For example, I zipped the "Jumpman Junior" ROM as "jmpmanjr.zip" (containing the file jmpmanjr) and tried to launch RetroArch with your FBA core using the command:

Code: Select all

retroarch -L emulators/RetroArch/lib/fb_alpha_libretro.so roms/ColecoVision/cv_jmpmanjr
but I get the following error:

RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: [FBA] Archive: jmpmanjr
RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: [FBA] Archive: coleco
RetroArch [ERROR] :: rarch_log_libretro :: [libretro ERROR] :: [FBA] Failed to find archive: roms/ColecoVision/coleco
RetroArch [ERROR] :: load_content :: Failed to load content.
I can happily play arcade ROMs fine with the emulator.

I also tried renaming the ROM inside the zip to "jmpmanjr.rom" but this made no difference as well as creating "roms/ColecoVision/coleco" directory and trying to put the ROMs underneath it but it still didn't want to load.

Can you tell me where I have gone wrong please?

Edit: does Coleco require a BIOS file per chance?

Cheers,

Neil.
http://pes.mundayweb.com -> The Pi Entertainment System for all your gaming needs

generatorlabs

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:24 am

Coleco definitely requires a zipped BIOS file.
I have been having difficulties getting MESS to run on my Pi but I have been running Coleco in MESS on a PC for some time.
I can assure you that without the BIOS you will not see the colorful Coleco boot logo.
The BIOS is all over the net.
The BIOS goes in the ROMS folder and the games go in images/Coleco/blablah.zip

generatorlabs

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:32 am

welshy wrote:generatorlabs
AdvMESS - A “Beginners Guide” to Compiling and Using - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=23113
So I started from scratch. I had nothing to lose. This is all a mini education for me.
a) Made a fresh RetroPie image
b) Booted & did some housekeeping (Overclock to 950, Resize Partition, Memory Split to 16 etc)
c) Set Root pswd
d) Loaded LXDE, tested and dropped out of X to the console.

Then started to with the instructions here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=23113

e) libsdl-1.2 is was already up to date in the latest Retropie image
f) gcc4.7 was already up to date in the latest Retropie image
g) skipped step 6 "export cc=gcc4.7"
h) ran ./configure......no unusual errors
i) ran "make". This took a very long time and spit out more unusual messages than I would have been comfortable with. The messages sounded scary but I can't be sure what they really mean. At the end there was a line similar to "recipe for file xxxx not found" I did not know if that was a fatal error so I pushed forward. I have not compiled anything directly on the Pi before so I was unsure and unaccustomed to most of the dialogue flying by on the screen.
j) I got MESS/Coleco to work if I launched it within an X session but I could not get it to work in Console.
k) Throwing caution to the wind I downloaded the SVGA library that is referenced in the MESS install documentation. I hope this was not a bad thing to do ?!?!?!
l) Rebooted and was able to get Coleco to work in console @ full screen BUT it is really not playable because it is sooooo slow. Frame rate is very bad. I haven't even tackled the sound yet.

So can you tell me if I am at fault for the sluggish response? I am assuming that emulators launched from within EmulationStation are launched as console programs outside of the X environment correct?

Any tips/hints would be really appreciated.

BarbuDreadMon

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:44 pm

Yes, libretro-fba needs a bios (same as mess) to run coleco. I attach the clrmamepro dat file for fba coleco to this post if you have issues finding the correct set.
Attachments
FB Alpha v0.2.97.35 (ClrMame Pro XML, ColecoVision only).dat.zip
(10.33 KiB) Downloaded 467 times

generatorlabs

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:31 am

Started playing with MESS again.
Running in console mode.
Tried SVGA drivers and then tried to force FB drivers.
Results on very slow frame rate is still the same.
I pressed F11 to see the frame rate and it was dead locked at 50%
If I press F10 the framerate jumps to well over 600% and the game is flying.

So can someone please explain what would be holding the value at 50%.
It clearly looks like the CPU has plenty of headroom to push this game very well.
What option doI have to adjust to bring this emulator to a normal speed?

Also I don't know what the references to libretto are. Isn't that another emulator? Why not start a thread for that instead of hijacking this one. I am still new to this. I am not sure what Retroarch/Libretto etc really are. Is this installed in the Retropie image by default?

Thanks!

neurojab

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:14 am

RE: Colecovision MESS running at 50% in console mode
I was just having the exact same problem.
Here's what you do to fix it. Go into .advance/advmess.rc, and change the line display_frameskip =auto
to display_frameskip=0.75
Now advmess should be able to emulate colecovision on the console full speed, full screen on an RPI
I suppose rendering all those pixels in full screen mode without accelleration makes it slow down enough to need to skip frames. It's still really smooth and accurate emulation.

Post back if you are able to get it working in emulationstation. I suspect that's also a matter of configuration.

neurojab

Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:18 am

If anyone is interested, here's the system config I used to get coleco working in retropie with advmess:
The tricky thing is to point advmess and emulationstation at the same set of roms, then use the config below to get emulationstation to pass the rom name instead of the full path.
(this goes into /etc/emulationstation.es_systems.cfg)

<system>
    <name>coleco</name>
    <fullname>ColecoVision</fullname>
    <path>~/RetroPie/roms/coleco</path>
    <extension>.rom .ROM .col .COL</extension>
    <command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 "basename %ROM% | xargs advmess coleco -cart " "coleco"</command>
    <theme/>
</system>

generatorlabs

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:48 pm

neurojab wrote:Here's what you do to fix it. Go into .advance/advmess.rc, and change the line display_frameskip =auto
to display_frameskip=0.75
Now advmess should be able to emulate colecovision on the console full speed, full screen on an RPI
Brilliant! It works very well now. This is all new to me as I have never had to do this on a PC based MESS install.

As my phone dinged to alert me of your post I had also discovered that pressing F11 and then one of the other function keys (I think it was F8) changed the frameskip from 75, 66, 50 and 25.

If I set it to 75 I can see the game running at 98%-100%.
With frameskip set to "Auto" it was running at exactly 50% & way to slow. A huge difference when auto is disabled.

What I was doing was temporary and your suggestion makes it permanent. Thanks a million!

generatorlabs

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:22 pm

I would like to ask for one more tip on this Coleco emulator.
I figured out that setting "safequit no" allows me to exit gracefully without going thru multiple steps.
However I cannot see an equivalent option for game start-up
Every time the game starts I am greeted with a) disclaimer b) coleco info banner and c) cartidge banner and then I get to see the Coleco BIOS. So that's three distinct screens I have to acknowledge every time, two of which I should be able to switch off. I kind of understand that the first disclaimer may only be bypassed by re-compliling MESS.
I had to do something similar on my PC MESS build.

Any tips/links on getting rid of the nag screens?

Thanks

generatorlabs

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:32 am

neurojab wrote:If anyone is interested, here's the system config I used to get coleco working in retropie with advmess:
The tricky thing is to point advmess and emulationstation at the same set of roms, then use the config below to get emulationstation to pass the rom name instead of the full path.
(this goes into /etc/emulationstation.es_systems.cfg)

<system>
    <name>coleco</name>
    <fullname>ColecoVision</fullname>
    <path>~/RetroPie/roms/coleco</path>
    <extension>.rom .ROM .col .COL</extension>
    <command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 "basename %ROM% | xargs advmess coleco -cart " "coleco"</command>
    <theme/>
</system>

This also worked for me. My ROMS are still in zip format so I added the ZIP and zip extension to the above.

Apparently EmulationStation cannot handle a space in the name of the ROM file.
Did you also observe this?
If I rename Smurf Rescue.zip -> SmurfRescue.zip then it works.

Thanks again

generatorlabs

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:07 pm

@nuerojab

I let my kids play a Coleco title called Cabbage Patch kids.
It was then that I noticed that if you moved the joystick left or right the music and framerate would accelerate noticeably. If you release the joystick the music and framerate go back to normal.
Game becomes difficult to play anytime you have to move the character and perform jumps

Any ideas?

ChinMuzik

Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:34 am

generatorlabs wrote:I would like to ask for one more tip on this Coleco emulator.
I figured out that setting "safequit no" allows me to exit gracefully without going thru multiple steps.
However I cannot see an equivalent option for game start-up
Every time the game starts I am greeted with a) disclaimer b) coleco info banner and c) cartidge banner and then I get to see the Coleco BIOS. So that's three distinct screens I have to acknowledge every time, two of which I should be able to switch off. I kind of understand that the first disclaimer may only be bypassed by re-compliling MESS.
I had to do something similar on my PC MESS build.

Any tips/links on getting rid of the nag screens?

Thanks
I would like to know if there is a solution to this as well....Does fba give the nag startup screens? From what I can see, FBA runs all the cv games that MESS can...so maybe it is a more viable option?

welshy

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:09 am

ChinMuzik
FBA may well be the better alternative, however, you will still get the BIOS Disclaimer shown. Its Emulating the Original machine which purposely displayed it for, I believe 12 Seconds (apparently there was much research into how long it should be shown), thus making it the first System to do so.

ChinMuzik

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:59 am

I've never seen a disclaimer screen on the actual hardware unit. Are we talking about the rainbow colecovision screen with the game title? Because, if I remember correctly, the emulators Virtual Colecivision and ColEm do not display these either.

welshy

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:10 am

ChinMuzik
Yup, ColEM on Windows does as does Virtual ADAM (I just checked the Unix version on the Pi2, also has the 12 second 'Splash Screen'), so far as I recall most ColecoVision EMU's do. The Actual hardware does except for a few 'Third Party' Carts that circumvented it.

IntvDave

Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:18 am

Use the following setting to ignore the nag screens when started and exiting a game.

misc_quiet yes
misc_safequit no

Would someone please post their Raspberry 2 compile of Mess? Please also post advk and advj utilities?

Thanks!

Return to “Gaming”