jspeccy

ZXBaremulator v3.0

Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi all,

I've released a new version of my bare-metal ZX-Spectrum emulator for Raspberry PI 2/3. The great new feature is HDMI sound, thanks to the incredible work of Rene Stange, the Circle library author.

The binaries can be found on my project web page: ZXMini

Best regards
José Luis

TonyD

Re: ZXBaremulator v3.0

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:53 pm

great project, thanks for sharing
Tony

diylinuxuser

Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:49 pm

Hi,
I just recently discovered this project and tested it with Raspberry Pi Zero W. The emulator works perfectly, especially I'm happy with a startup time :)

Few questions?
1) I have pretty nice and small PS2 keyboard. RPi Zero fits there quite well. But, it is PS2. No problem, I thought - there is a stm32f103 project of PS2-to-USB converter. It works Ok with PC and RPi3 (under Raspbian OS). But ZXBaremulator can't recognize the keyboard. Could it be that stm32 initialization is too slow for ZXBaremulator, since the former gets the power from the same USB? If so, is it possible to add a config parameter for ZXBaremulator to wait before getting into USB keyboard routines? (Another option is to add the GPIO support for PS2 keyboards)

2) Is it possible to get PWM audio from RPi Zero, since HDMI sound is not supported?
Last edited by diylinuxuser on Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

jspeccy

Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:44 am

Hi,

You can try with parameter 'usbpowerdelay=2000' in cmdline.txt file, but this slows down the boot by two seconds.

Anyway, the STM32 should declare in his HID descriptor a boot device, that's a need for Circle library.

The Zero model can't output PWM sound because the GPIOs are devoted to real ZX Spectrum keyboard support. Typically, the best solution is to use a Raspberry PI 3A+ and get HDMI sound for free.

Anyway, next April will be the fourth anniversary for ZXBaremulator. In all this time, no more than two dozen of users are using the emulator. Develop a BM software needs a great effort, not comparable with standard emulators. So few users don't justify this effort, that's true. I have the development totally frozen by now, and I'm not motivated to continue with it. The users opt by fancy PC emulators or FPGA based hardware emulators. Nobody is worried about the precision when they only wants to play Manic Miner or Saboteur. For this, any basic emulator works like a charm. Sadly, no one needs a BM emulator.

diylinuxuser

Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:10 pm

Hi,

thanks for the answer.
The 'usbpowerdelay=2000' parameter did not help. So it is possible that there is something wrong with HID descriptor.

About HDMI sound - does it work only with RPi 3A+ (the newest one)?
In all this time, no more than two dozen of users are using the emulator
- I do understand (I've closed one small DIY project - retro BASIC computer on stm32, due to almost zero interest).

Have you thought of putting the project into open source?

jspeccy

Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:07 pm

The HDMI sound works on all PI 2/3 models.

The project isn't open source.

fanoush

Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:22 pm

jspeccy wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:07 pm
The project isn't open source.
Oh, it isn't? That's a bit strange since Circle is GPLv3 licenced, see https://github.com/rsta2/circle and you probably directly include Circle classes into your code and inherit from it. Or did I miss something? Is there some library exception or dual license in Circle for using it like this?

Of course it is better that you are at least sharing the binaries, and GPL may be not the most practical license for Circle project if the intention of its author was to share improvements of Circle code itself and not force derived projects like this emulator to make the code available. But as it is according to the licence your project should be open source too? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Return to “Gaming”