typh0id

Help setting up PiSNES in RetroPie

Tue May 06, 2014 11:30 pm

Hey there!

I am relatively new to both my Pi and Linux but I'm learning more and more each day. I've been getting RetroPie set up but I've heard the PiSNES is a much better emulator than the default SNES one on RetroPie. I've seen several posts with people saying they've "Switched over" to PiSNES but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that. Could somebody please walk me through the method for changing to PiSNES as the default SNES emulator within RetroPie? And please be specific with command lines because I'm still getting a handle on this Linux thing :P

Thanks so much!

KitchUK

Re: Help setting up PiSNES in RetroPie

Thu May 08, 2014 8:25 am

Here's how to install up to date PiSNES and add to Emulation Station.

How you install it:

1. Go to the command line (press F4) and type

Code: Select all

cd RetroPie-Setup
then enter.

2. Then type

sudo ./retropie_setup.sh
then enter. This should open up the RetroPie Script.

3. Press enter on the Source based installation option. This will bring you to a long list of emulators to install.

4. Press the space bar on all of the items in the list so the little asterix to the side has been removed. Pressing the space bar select which components you want to install.

5. Find one that says something along the line of 'Install SNES Emulator PiSnes' and press the space bar to just select this one.

6. Scroll down to OK and and press enter. This will download the latest version of PiSNES from source and install all the files on to your Pi.

7. Once this has done, reboot the pi and check in the folder again and there should be all the files including the config files.

8. Then traverse to

home/pi/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg
and open this file. (The folder .emulationstation is a hidden folder)

9. Go to the line in the that mentions Super Nintendo and remove the # that launches PiSNES and put the # in front of the RetroArch command.

10. Now when you launch a ROM it should be emulated in PiSNES instead of RetroArch.

You can navigate through the Pi via SSH with a program like WinSCP if you wish. I find it much easier this way!

typh0id

Sat May 10, 2014 8:40 pm

Oh man...thank you SO SO much! That tutorial was perfect (I even used it to switch Master System over to PicoDrive!) Thank you for taking the time to spell all of that out for me. I've learned much from it!
:D

KitchUK

Sun May 11, 2014 9:36 am

No problem :D

Also, I would recommend using the Genesis-GX Core for Master System as its has better compatibility and perfromance with games (example: Ys: The Vanished Omens) in my opinion.

zSprawl

Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:39 pm

Thank you so much KitchUK!!

Return to “Gaming”