lunarkingdom

Video artifact with retropie and B+ Pi what is it??

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrqh0-J ... e=youtu.be

It seems to happen when there is a load on the system, it looks intentional, does any one know what it is?

Jessie

Re: Video artifact with retropie and B+ Pi what is it??

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:25 pm

It is new with the b+ and the latest firmware. It is a brownout or usb over-current warning.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that the square is supposed to be in the upper right corner from the looks of your video you are getting it center right in your way. I think there is a way to disable this warning in config.txt

Jessie

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Reading further...the rambow square is just for the brown out detector. Nothing has been enabled yet to inform users of USB overcurrent.

lunarkingdom

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:43 pm

how do I access the config.txt will I see it if I put the sd card into my iMac or do I use a command to access?

Jessie

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:47 pm

lunarkingdom wrote:how do I access the config.txt will I see it if I put the sd card into my iMac or do I use a command to access?
You can do it either way. From the CLI it will be found in the /boot directory. From your mac it will be in the fat32 partition. I'm not sure what command will disable it though.

lunarkingdom

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:51 pm

so is this brown out typically caused by not enough power? I am using a 5v2a charger to power the pi and the 5v screen,, I can switch to battery that has a dc to dc step down convertor and up the voltage a little to see if it helps (from 5.0v to 5.1v) that should give it a little more amperage.

Jessie

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:59 pm

It goes off when the voltage drops below a certin level (I think 4.65V). Which can happen if there is a surge of power use. Upping the voltage should help. Be careful the max is 5.25V. Past that will trip the polyfuse.

Jessie

Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:46 pm

avoid_warnings=1
In your config.txt will stop the box if you are sure everything is working fine otherwise.

lunarkingdom

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:53 pm

Thanks Jessie! Turned out I was installing the wrong code causing this problem, the B+ is a little different than the older Pi's so it was uncharted territory for a minute there. I fixed the problem without disabling it but really good to know I had options. ;-)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:20 am

lunarkingdom wrote:so is this brown out typically caused by not enough power? I am using a 5v2a charger to power the pi and the 5v screen,, I can switch to battery that has a dc to dc step down convertor and up the voltage a little to see if it helps (from 5.0v to 5.1v) that should give it a little more amperage.
Try a better power cable.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

lunarkingdom

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:28 pm

no need (I have 2, 1 of witch is made for the Pi) as it was night and day, when I installed retropie and did all the update code it worked fine, when I went to follow a tutorial on adding GPIO controls there was a line of code that said:

sudo sh ./install.sh updatesystem

every time I used that code after a fresh install it would start the brownout activity. after 3 installs all the same with brownout I wiped the drive once more, installed retropie then did everything in the GPIO tutorial EXCEPT for this line of code and everything works great and no more brownouts. pretty smoking gun if you ask me.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:45 pm

There is also a similar red square that signals the PI is shuttling back its over clocking because it became too hot!

In the future its likely another coloured square will be used to signal USB over-current events.

Its much better to fix the brownout warnings than simply ignore these rainbow squares.

brownouts can lead to memory corruptions which can lead to file system corruptions, or unexpected crashes etc.
Its could be one hidden reason for sd-card corruptions, and if you power an external USB HD drive through the PI, brownouts can also affect the HD.

Most often its caused by bad microUSB cables that have too much resistance, or it could be that the PSU simply cannot cope.

The brownout detector should be a valuable tool to keep your PI healthy.

lunarkingdom

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:52 pm

read my previous post I address all of these concerns, bad firmware caused it to brownout clear as day, triple redundant testing.

jamesh

Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:07 pm

lunarkingdom wrote:read my previous post I address all of these concerns, bad firmware caused it to brownout clear as day, triple redundant testing.
Nope. Out of date firmware, not 'bad' firmware.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

lunarkingdom

Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:28 pm

you are correct! I am wondering if this is due to how new the B+ is...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:33 pm

lunarkingdom wrote:read my previous post I address all of these concerns, bad firmware caused it to brownout clear as day, triple redundant testing.
I can't really see how any kind of software can cause brownouts!

Perhaps software can cause unintentional extra current consumptions, like turning on the GPU at full force, or perhaps causing GPIO's to be "shorted", but otherwise I don't know how it could be possible. The PSU should normally be able to cope with any software caused phenomena, except for creating real GPIO shorts.

Instead, what can happen is that older software programs a GPIO port so that it affects the PWR LED, but thats not the same as "causing brownouts".

The GPIO that reads the brownout detector on the B+ is GPIO35. Programming GPIO35 as an output can affect the PWR LED.

lunarkingdom

Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:39 pm

very interesting and more than likely what happened, I am just glad that removing the "sudo sh ./install.sh updatesystem" solved the problem albeit temporarily until the firmware is updated to work correctly with the B+

jdb

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:55 pm

lunarkingdom wrote:very interesting and more than likely what happened, I am just glad that removing the "sudo sh ./install.sh updatesystem" solved the problem albeit temporarily until the firmware is updated to work correctly with the B+
The firmware is working as intended.

It is providing user notification (in an obvious way) that the input voltage level is falling below specified limits. If adding load to the system (through processing, use of the video engine or attached USB peripherals) causes this to appear then it is a symptom of inadequate input power.

The fact that this does not occur on previous versions of the firmware does not mean that the problem does not exist.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

andrum99

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:19 pm

Does the brownout warning only work on the B+?

dom

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:33 pm

andrum99 wrote:Does the brownout warning only work on the B+?
Yes.

dan3008

Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:54 pm

Guess my arcade cabinet may well hve to have a B+ now, since its going to be portable, need to check batteries, and other peoples power supplys
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

Return to “Gaming”