KitchUK

CatSFC - Snes Emulator

Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:36 am

Has anyone tried this libretro core yet on the Pi?

https://github.com/libretro/CATSFC-libretro

I've not had chance to test it myself but it's possible it might have better performance/compatibility. Interesting quote directly from the Libretro blog:
Even though we already have a lot of Super Nintendo emulator cores (well, let’s make that ‘the most amount of SNES cores out of any project’), a lot of them still had too high performance requirements for some really low-power devices out there. CatSFC is a libretro fork of SNES9x based on SNES9x 1.43. It should be a lot faster than SNES9x Next (our current fastest SNES core if you exclude PocketSNES).

The nice thing about our fork of CatSFC is that we added some stuff to it in the progress. For instance, SNES9x’s sound pre-blargg APU has always been quite bad. So what we did with CatSFC was put it in optionally. Even with the blargg APU it’s still a lot faster than SNES9x Next.

Obviously this core might only be interesting for people that have devices where power is not at a premium, like the Raspberry Pi, Xperia Play and similar low-power systems like that. The more choice the merrier.

DigitalLumberjack

Re: CatSFC - Snes Emulator

Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi pal,

i'm gonna try it on the retroboxOS and i'll leave a feedback here.

welshy

Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:47 pm

Gentlemen
On initial inspection its slower than the RetroArch: PocketSNES Core, or PiSNES, (although as its baseb on SNES9x 1.43 its obviously more accurate than either!). The exception is SFX powered Titles, seems Star Fox/Wing and Yoshi's Island are much improved over the old Core (PiSNES does not Emulate these). Will re configure where possible, Test some more later and perhaps add a Link in the Emulation Thread for those who may be interested.

Edit: Just noticed there is Frame Skip available in the Core (NOT TESTED).
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

DigitalLumberjack

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:58 pm

I tried gradius 3, i know it slowdown when the first dragon shows up. But i don't know if it is a game slowdown or because of the emulator. Both pocketsnes and catsfc shows 60fps on display, even when is slowing down. Same perf here.

Do you have a game that is really laggy ? All my games runs well on pocketsnes.

KitchUK

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:16 pm

DigitalLumberjack wrote:I tried gradius 3, i know it slowdown when the first dragon shows up. But i don't know if it is a game slowdown or because of the emulator. Both pocketsnes and catsfc shows 60fps on display, even when is slowing down. Same perf here.

Do you have a game that is really laggy ? All my games runs well on pocketsnes.
How does it perform with Mario All-Stars? Controls work correctly in game? None of the other emulators are able to correctly run this rom.

DigitalLumberjack

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:27 pm

Héhé yes that is true. Super Mario All Star works with pocketsnes but is only controllable with a second controller...

First thing, Rendering Ranger R2 doesn't work with catsfc... bad point.

I'll try super mario all star

DigitalLumberjack

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:11 pm

Answer is no, it's the same, in super mario all stars, you have to play with the second controller.

KitchUK

Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:16 am

welshy wrote:Gentlemen
On initial inspection its slower than the RetroArch: PocketSNES Core, or PiSNES, (although as its baseb on SNES9x 1.43 its obviously more accurate than either!). The exception is SFX powered Titles, seems Star Fox/Wing and Yoshi's Island are much improved over the old Core (PiSNES does not Emulate these). Will re configure where possible, Test some more later and perhaps add a Link in the Emulation Thread for those who may be interested.

Edit: Just noticed there is Frame Skip available in the Core (NOT TESTED).
Did the frameskip improve performance at all?

DigitalLumberjack

Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:56 am

I see no difference on games I tested...

KitchUK

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:21 pm

DigitalLumberjack wrote:I see no difference on games I tested...
Shame...at leas the performance is better for SFX games!

Return to “Gaming”