stg

Re: Wooden laptop for lasercutter+cnc

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:16 am

We are building a wooden laptop using a flexible wood technique we stumbled upon a while back . see http://www.snijlab.nl/?page_id=358

We hadn't decided on a mainboard when we started, but after finding the R.Pi the choice seems pretty obvious ;)

What we have is a complete design for making the case using 2mm plywood and a laser cutter. We have a fully functioning prototype of the case.

We also have a 3D design for CNC-cutting the keyboard keys and a layout design to engrave the keys on the laser cutter, post assembly.

To run the 4.3" LCD we designed a DVI to parallel board that should be able to drive the LCD if the signalling from R.Pi is correctly set. (Single)touch data is provided as an I2C pinout.

LCD: readily available from ebay for ~$25
DVI input: HDMI port
Reference design: DVI2PAR by Till Harbaum

For the keyboard I designed a small PIC-based QWERTY keyboard PCB with pinouts for power, uart-tx, uart-rx and power.

If SPI/I2C is required we will have to adapt the signalling, but hopefully we can use the "boot-messages UART" once the system is running. Thoughts regarding this?

Reference design: Cherry G84-4100
Key pitch: 10mm

We are hoping to add wifi using an SPI/I2C wifi module. Any suggestions?

Final laptop should have ports for audio, usb, sd/mmc, video out and possibly wired ethernet.

I think it's gonna look pretty retro-hot and with the R.Pi it should actually be useable - more than we expected when starting the project aiming just for shits and giggles.

Do you want pictures?

jacklang

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:21 am

yes please lots of pictures!

Lakes

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:24 am

Quite a few people are going to interested in that LCD driver board as well... ;)

stg

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:15 pm

Cool, I will post pictures of the case when I get off work. For now, heres the boards.

Did not expect much interest in the LCD driver, perhaps I should order more than for myself - what do you think?

I mean, the LCD it's designed to drive is quite low-res: http://resources.mini-box.com/.....manual.pdf
Not sure if this is the one I have, but the specs and pinout are identical.

The same design could be made to drive most parallel load LCDs, but I really do want to design for a flexcable header and not a pinout header. That would be too big and require additional work to connect to the flexcable.

And there is always the chance of it requiring some reworking - it is after all the first batch of a new design...

stg

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:10 pm

Not lots of pictures, but at least one :)

This is an early prototype of the screen/keyboard joint.
Bunch of things changed since then but you'll get the idea.

meltwater

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:29 pm

That looks amazing. And there are those who said...it wooden't work.

The LCD adaptor board sounds quite interesting, any rough ideas of what it'd cost? I think there a lot of people who are interested in a low cost solution for a small display, even if it's not used as the primary one when programming the device.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

stg

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Thank you sir!

I'm not sure about the cost, but for the small quantities I need it won't exactly be cheap. The PCB itself is gonna run me ~$10, the main components ~$25 so I'd guess a maximum of $50. It's not that bad and it would of course be much cheaper if anybody would want to bulk-produce it.

I will be ordering four boards and manually equip them with components. I'm gonna use one as a secondary display for my PC, one for the laptop project and one is for a friend so assuming none of the boards have problems I should have one left over.

I've handed the design over to some random guy in China I buy electronics from. He is already selling this LCD with a MCU adapter board and he seemed very interested in making this as an alternative adapter board. Perhaps it will be possible to buy them from him in the near future.

meltwater

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:01 pm

Well I think the more options available the better, the added cost isn't much if someone has a large panel laying around from an old laptop or need it for a particular application. Good to see there are ways to use the HDMI output.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

stg

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:33 am

I think most larger panels use an LVDS interface and not a parallel one.

For that you would need something like this (the red board) plus an LVDS transmitter as pointed out on the wiki.
There are probably single chip solutions too.

I have a large LG panel that wants 6 LVDS pairs for odd/even pixels and r/g/b.
There seems to be a big difference between different LVDS interfaces.
Not sure if one could build a one-off solution to drive anything unless you go FPGA.

stg

Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:57 am

Well, I ordered the PCBs today and upped the count to 10 for the HDMI-LCD board instead of the original 4. So there will be at least 5 boards that I can sell for roughly $15+shipping. Those are BARE UNPOLULATED PCBs.

I do have a reflow oven so I could populate the boards, but the components aren't exactly free and it is a bit time consuming, so we'd have to work something out before I order components next week. Let me know.

SteGriff

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:27 pm

I absolutely love this! If I could have a wooden laptop that size that could boot or come out of hibernation in less than 10 seconds, I would pay ALL THE MONEY.

Pluribus

Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:53 pm

Count me in.  I'll take a housing, keyboard pcb and lcd controller - the whole shebang.  Send me a pm and we can work out costs and payment transfer etc.

Ian

aidded

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:38 pm

count me in! how can i buy one?

bit confused, how much would i have to pay for a populated board and case?

BrokenFrog

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:37 am

Did anything come of this fantastic design idea? I've just broken my PDA, and would love one of these instead if it makes in to prototype or even production!

DurableGravy

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:09 am

i hope not :P cuz if they didnt finish then i have the first raspberry pi laptop (that i built not those bs atrix things) mwahahahahahahahahaha

BrokenFrog

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:33 am

Don't keep it to yourself then! Show and tell! :D

DurableGravy

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:50 pm

well to be honest i just barely got all the pieces and built it out of legos to make sure my design made the most sense in terms of organization and such. and now that i have that i just need to print it off from solid works then i'll show it off. unless you wanna see lego version. which im fine with. i just dunno how to upload pics XD

jimmis98

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:43 pm

I know this is an old thread that I am trying to revive, but it was such a nice project to be left aside...
I guess it has been discontinued? Pity! Is there any chance of continuation? I am sure I am not the only one thinking it is awesome having such a cute little gizmo... Maybe we could gather all we who'd want one and, dunno, make a mass order? Would crowd-sourcing be an option?
Last edited by jimmis98 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pluribus

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:45 pm

As I said before, I still want one so if anything is being made of this project, or the project files are available, please let me know!

Thanks

Ian

Return to “Other projects”