Rafiqi

4 desktop display in one screen

Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:09 pm

Hello everyone I hope you are doing well.

I would like to know if there is a way that I display 4 different desktops with GUI on 1 screen and 1 Raspberry PI?

Here is the reason why. We want to show 4 websites each on a different side of the screen. these websites show the company's assets.

The issue is that upper management does not want me to align the chromium tabs. I have also found terminal multiplexers but i don't know to use them and it turns out i don't need a terminal multiplexer (Like screen, tmux).

If there is a way that I display 4 different desktops with GUI on one screen and 1 Raspberry PI can someone teach me step by step :D sorry, I am new to all of this and thank you all in advance.

ejolson

Re: 4 desktop display in one screen

Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:15 pm

Rafiqi wrote:

I would like to know if there is a way that I display 4 different desktops with GUI on 1 screen and 1 Raspberry PI?

Here is the reason why. We want to show 4 websites each on a different side of the screen. these websites show the company's assets.

The issue is that upper management does not want me to align the chromium tabs. I have also found terminal multiplexers but i don't know to use them and it turns out i don't need a terminal multiplexer (Like screen, tmux).

If there is a way that I display 4 different desktops with GUI on one screen and 1 Raspberry PI can someone teach me step by step :D sorry, I am new to all of this and thank you all in advance.
Is the problem that you need to run each of the four browser windows in a different security context?

KeithMck

Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:14 pm

You can start 4 instances of browsers, & align them however you want - to do so 'automatically, you will need to state their positions in a start up script.

Or........just use a tiling Window Manager. ;) https://www.tecmint.com/best-tiling-win ... for-linux/

Rafiqi

Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:38 am

ejolson wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:15 pm
Rafiqi wrote:

Is the problem that you need to run each of the four browser windows in a different security context?
I want to run the 4 Browsers in one screen seamlessly

Rafiqi

Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:40 am

KeithMck wrote:
You can start 4 instances of browsers, & align them however you want - to do so 'automatically, you will need to state their positions in a start up script.

Or........just use a tiling Window Manager. ;) https://www.tecmint.com/best-tiling-win ... for-linux/
Wellp, this is a valid solution, yet upper management doesn't want 4 aligned chromium tabs, they want 4 different desktops/windows/chromium tabs in one screen.

ejolson

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:00 pm

Rafiqi wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:40 am
KeithMck wrote:

Wellp, this is a valid solution, yet upper management doesn't want 4 aligned chromium tabs, they want 4 different desktops/windows/chromium tabs in one screen.
The only way I'd know to do this is with VNC or RDP. For even greater security separation you could also use QEMU. It may be possible to do something with docker and again VNC to make sure each browser is securely separated from the other but on the same screen.

The idea behind the Xinerama extension to X11 was to allow one desktop to span multiple monitors. In this case one wants the opposite: multiple desktops on one monitor. Given the size and resolution of some monitors this could be practical.

I don't know whether the techniques used by Xinerama could be modified to divide a screen into multiple X sessions. That sounds difficult to me. Though it might work on Plan 9, I don't think X11 has ever supported running a window manager inside another window.

On Linux it might be possible for Wayland to create multiple windows each running a separate window manager. If anyone here knows about that, it would be interesting to hear ideas about how.

Return to “Beginners”