timlab55

2 Pi's Are Better Than One

Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:14 am

Okay, first off, out of all my post that I've made on this board, I have finally gotten my NAS up and running. I chose Open Medial Vault as it very straight forward once you do it once or five times. Currently, my Pi is running great along with my NAS. So again, I want to thank all the help that I have received from this board so far.
Now when Christmas get's here (and it's not coming fast enough), I'm getting another one. Now for the problem. My first one it's hostname according to OMV and my remote correction all I have to do is type raspberrypi and off she goes and I'm there on the desktop ready and willing. One day I'm going to learn how to teach it how to make a cup of coffee for me. But when Santa Clause (yea even at 65 I still believe in him (kid at heart)), and I have my second one up and running, I would like to call the first one raspberry NAS. Because this is all she's going to do for her life, is be my little NAS. So when I log into my first one either from the web page, Open Medial Vault or from anywhere, all I want to do is type in raspberrynas. On the second one, again from anywhere, all I want to do is type in raspberrywebserver. So how can I accomplish this? Even if my router changes the IP address (which I don't like to do), all I want to do is type in the name.

Thanks
Dan

wildfire

Re: 2 Pi's Are Better Than One

Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:00 am

From a terminal...

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
select

option 1 System Options

then

option S4 Hostname

Change that to whatever you wish, then select reboot after selecting finish.

Your IP shouldn't change.
E8 85 A2 40 C9 40 81 94 40 81 95 40 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

ejolson

Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:31 am

timlab55 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:14 am
Okay, first off, out of all my post that I've made on this board, I have finally gotten my NAS up and running. I chose Open Medial Vault as it very straight forward once you do it once or five times. Currently, my Pi is running great along with my NAS. So again, I want to thank all the help that I have received from this board so far.
Now when Christmas get's here (and it's not coming fast enough), I'm getting another one. Now for the problem. My first one it's hostname according to OMV and my remote correction all I have to do is type raspberrypi and off she goes and I'm there on the desktop ready and willing. One day I'm going to learn how to teach it how to make a cup of coffee for me. But when Santa Clause (yea even at 65 I still believe in him (kid at heart)), and I have my second one up and running, I would like to call the first one raspberry NAS. Because this is all she's going to do for her life, is be my little NAS. So when I log into my first one either from the web page, Open Medial Vault or from anywhere, all I want to do is type in raspberrynas. On the second one, again from anywhere, all I want to do is type in raspberrywebserver. So how can I accomplish this? Even if my router changes the IP address (which I don't like to do), all I want to do is type in the name.

Thanks
Dan
Congratulations on getting it working!

I think a hostname is better without the spaces, so maybe raspberrynas is what the Pi could be named.

Edit: This post was written at the same time as the previous post which suggests using the Pi configuration tool. That's likely a good way to get started.

With Linux based systems it is enough to edit /etc/hostname and reboot to change the name of the system. With Raspberry Pi and Debian systems, you may also want to change /etc/hosts so the local address 127.0.1.1 is also associated with the new hostname. I don't know if Open Media Vault requires additional configuration or not.

For example, if you set up NFSv4 with kerberos-based user-level authentication, likely the hostname in your keytab and the entries in the kdc database need to be updated. I think samba.conf may require updates as well, but maybe not. I just went through much of this last week when moving a NAS from a testing network to the campus network.

As mentioned, reboot after changing the hostname. Since the hostname is used in security tokens created by the windowing system, new windows may fail to open until after a reboot.

In general it's a good idea to check the Pi still boots after any change while you still remember what you've changed.

As with all system changes, it's possible the Pi will no longer boot. For this reason is important to have a recovery plan. My plan usually involves removing the SD card from the Pi and going for a walk. After that I mount the card on another Linux computer, try to remember what I changed and then change it back.

Another plan is to backup the working SD card to a second one before changing anything (make sure the backup boots) and switch to that in case of trouble.

Once a Raspberry Pi starts performing a useful function, it's nice to have a second one for experiments. Then a third and a fourth and so on as each finds something useful to do. Welcome to the club!

W. H. Heydt

Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:24 am

The thread title is extensible... Three Pis are better that two.

If you don't want to go through the the raspi-config CLI, you can also change the hostname through the GUI version.

ame

Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:29 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Basically, the number of Pis you need is the number of Pis you have plus one.

cincfleet

Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:56 pm

ame wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
So True, I am currently on number three, Pi b (early version) then jumped to a 400 and more recently a 4b4gb. I am now hankering after a Pi Zero w or wh :lol:

KeithMck

Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:31 pm

....started off with a 3B, then got another, then they made the '+' version which had faster wifi, so bought a 3B+, got curious about the 3A+, so bought one - then along comes the 4B, had to have one, more ram - then the 400 - gave away my 2x 3B's to a code club, as I wasn't using them - now find that I'm not really using my 3+'s, but I'll hang on to them, as I may try a NAS, or a server of some kind in the future - I just hope the RPi5 doesn't show up too soon...... :lol:

wildfire

Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:35 pm

Slight discrepancy in your timeline...

The 4B came out before the 3A+

EDIT: I'll correct myself (ram must be faulty), my recollection was that the 3A+ came out a couple of month after the 4B, it appears I was wrong.

My apologies Keith.
Last edited by wildfire on Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
E8 85 A2 40 C9 40 81 94 40 81 95 40 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

timlab55

Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:40 pm

I would have to agree that once your hooked on a Pi, then you have to have more (LOL). But it's the hostname that I"m after, okay go it and I was thinking the same thing, but wanted to make sure.
Any one else want to charm in about this? I love it.
Thanks for the comments.
Dan

W. H. Heydt

Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:24 pm

cincfleet wrote:
ame wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
So True, I am currently on number three, Pi b (early version) then jumped to a 400 and more recently a 4b4gb. I am now hankering after a Pi Zero w or wh :lol:
I have lost count. I do try to keep a spare or two on hand for each actively working version. The current actives ones (as in running 24/7) are 2 Pi4B-2, 4 Pi4B-4, 1 Pi2Bv1.1. Used from time to time, 7 Pi2Bv1.1, 1 Pi2Bv1.2 (soon to be at least 3), 1 Pi0, 1 Pi0W, 1 Pi0WH. And a project to come, using a Pi Pico to prototype for a Pimoroni TIny 2040 (the intent is a very small, portable, trackball). Note that the list doesn't include formerly active Pis (going all the way back to Model B with 256MB DRAM and 140mA polyfuses for each USB port) and ones waiting for inspiration and/or need to strike (and that includes a Pi4B-8 and a Pi400, while waiting for ones with a black case to show up before I get another).

timlab55

Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:06 pm

There's a person who knows Pi's.

bensimmo

Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:39 am

timlab55 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:40 pm
I would have to agree that once your hooked on a Pi, then you have to have more (LOL). But it's the hostname that I"m after, okay go it and I was thinking the same thing, but wanted to make sure.
Any one else want to charm in about this? I love it.
Thanks for the comments.
Dan
On your next Pi, as you know what you think it is going to be, change the host name after the OS is installed. Before you start setting the webserver up.

As a side moan from me...
What's quite annoying with my new TP-Link Deco setup (a mesh WiFi system) is host name tends not to work on it. Sometime they do, but after a while they can get lost especially if they move to a different access point in the mesh. Having to go back to IP addresses and scanning for where they are is a royal pain I'd left behind ages ago.
Especially when you have quite a few IoT and Pi devices around the house.

cincfleet

Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:08 pm

cincfleet wrote:
ame wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Number four recently arrived, 4b8gb with the desk top case from the Pi Hut. Nice blue LED fan and expansion board.
PiDesktopblueled.jpg
PiDesktopblueled.jpg (63.17 KiB) Viewed 219 times

timlab55

Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:16 pm

Sweet

W. H. Heydt

Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:09 pm

cincfleet wrote:
ame wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
*Only* counting Pi4Bs...I'm up to at least 12.

The "one more than you have" works only if your need is an arithmetic series. It could as easily be "twice as many as you have" (or some other multiplier). Woe betide if you need an exponential series to keep up...

davidcoton

Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:28 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:09 pm

The "one more than you have" works only if your need is an arithmetic series. It could as easily be "twice as many as you have" (or some other multiplier). Woe betide if you need an exponential series to keep up...
Clearly, whatever the series, the factor is not one. It must be π.
So, for owners with N Pi:
  • Some of us only need N+π
  • Some need N*π
  • The worst cases of Pi-itus can only be explained by a need for N^π (N**π in other languages)
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

Return to “Beginners”