tonyfirshman

Apple keyboard and hash key

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:02 pm

How can one type hash (#) from an Apple keyboard? Normal <ALT £> no use. Difficult to be a programmer without it (8-)# I resort to ssh!

Mortimer

Re: Apple keyboard and hash key

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:15 pm

I ssh into my Raspberry Pi quite often from a Mac, and haven't had a problem. Maybe I have just been lucky so far and haven't needed a hash key so far. I shall have a closer look when I am back at home, and see.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

tonyfirshman

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:46 pm

That is precisely how I get the hash key. I have tried lots of key combinations, involving the right and left ALT with and without shift and with/without ctrl. Quite hazardous as magnificent things sometimes happen, but no # (8-(#
As a programmer, hash is *vital*. I do like Apple products but not having hash as a key is quite bizarre.
I suppose it is because the American keyboard does (in place of £).

patrikg

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Could it be locale ??

walleee

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:11 pm

try ctrl + alt + 3

pajo

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:04 pm

I use a Mac keyboard, and use ctrl-3 to type a hash character with my pi.
#
(On the Mac it's alt-3 to do the same)

Mortimer

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Yup alt-3 works for me too.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

tonyfirshman

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:18 pm

None of the following work for me:

<ctrl 3>
<alt 3>
<ctrl alt 3>

... with all combinations of L and R keys.

I have tried every combination key press I can think of, and some do *wonderful* things!
Mind you I find both my keyboards a mite flaky. The Apple in particular often stops working, or does wild repeats until I press another key. The Pi does not see ESC at all with my only USB *real* IBM keyboard. It also repeats wildly.
Maybe I just have a faulty board.

tonyfirshman

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:28 pm

He he - found it. 'locale' was dead right. Hash is a plain '\' key! However '£' key gives a pound sign, so it *is* set up as a UK keyboard. '§' key is '\' so programming is still going to be fun (8-)#
Any suggestions on how to turn it into the *proper* key mapping? I am still using the default.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:35 pm

from the wiki:
Re-mapping the keyboard with Debian Squeeze
If different letters appear on-screen from that which you typed, you need to reconfigure your keyboard settings. In Debian, from a command line type:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
Follow the prompts. Then restart your RasPi.
Or:
From the command line type:
sudo nano /etc/default/keyboard
Then find where it says
XKBLAYOUT=”gb”
and change the gb to the two letter code for your country

Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:32 pm

shift+alt+3 = # on a mac qwertz keyboard

alkopop79

Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:04 pm

None of these work. Absolutely ridiculous! I even tried to open a browser and google it but there's no Internet (the SSH works). Now I'm stuck! Is there any font-table I could look up???

Colin Yarwood

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:07 pm

Alt 3 should do it on a Mac... like this # ;-)

But, using a wired USB A 1242 Mac keyboard on RPi3B+ with the Mouse (single button!) plugged in to the one end or other USB socket of the Keyboard - the Pi Keyboard set up offers two choices... neither of which recognise that key shortcut. Instead it gives you a double ##

Using a Zero W - with only one USB socket - I have a diferent problem which seems to require an un powered USB hub for the same Keyboard and Mouse. I believe this is - as described elsewhere in this forum as due to Power and the presence of a Hub in the Keyboard!

It would be nice if there was a little more consideration of allowing Apple peripherals greater or even real compatability with the Raspbian OS. Mac is mentioned often but to only have two butyton mice instructions somewhat lets Pi down.... at least as far as long standing Mac and Apple Users are concerned.... perhaps instead of # we could write REM?

Colin

TudorJ

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:42 pm

I use a Mac keyboard on my Windows 10 PC and also for Putty. Yes alt-3 works, BUT only the right hand alt 3 (I think it’s called Gray-Alt), the left hand alt-3 does nothing.

Return to “Beginners”