davethomas1359

Wireless printer

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:20 pm

Has anyone managed to find a way to print wirelessly? I have a Samsung SCX-3405FW that works fine in a versions of Windows either in hardwired (USB) or wirelessly. I can see the printer and if I log into it, I lose the Internet. Samsung isn't much help.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Wireless printer

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:31 am

davethomas1359 wrote:Has anyone managed to find a way to print wirelessly? I have a Samsung SCX-3405FW that works fine in a versions of Windows either in hardwired (USB) or wirelessly. I can see the printer and if I log into it, I lose the Internet. Samsung isn't much help.
On the RPi have you setup CUPS ?

This is for a different printer but the principal the same:

http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/printing-cups
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

davethomas1359

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:53 pm

I have installed CUPS but it still doesn't want to print. I'm using the ipp://ipaddress/ipp/printer as the port to no avail.
Is it possible to connect to my Windows WORKGROUP and access the printer on the PC where it's connected (USB)?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:59 pm

davethomas1359 wrote:I have installed CUPS but it still doesn't want to print. I'm using the ipp://ipaddress/ipp/printer as the port to no avail.
Is it possible to connect to my Windows WORKGROUP and access the printer on the PC where it's connected (USB)?
Install SAMBA Networking then can file and print share with a Windows Workgroup, CUPS should recognize SAMBA installed and networking active.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install samba
Maybe not ideal but Google Cloud Print could be used !
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

scruss

Fri May 03, 2019 2:37 am

Old thread resuscitation, I know, but maybe try this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install cups-ipp-utils system-config-printer
(leave off system-config-printer if you’re running from the terminal.)

IPP support shouldn't require fancy drivers, and this made a formerly not very responsive Brother laser printer work rather well.

Main thread, with link to pictures: Getting IPP network printers to work with Raspbian
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

AaronRPI

Sat May 04, 2019 11:56 am

Did you try this code in the terminal?

sudo nano/etc/cups/client.conf

ServerName 128.823.742.251

Then, save with Ctrl-X.
128.823.742.251 is an i.e., place your printer's IP address there.
(I think you need to be connected to the printer by wire for it to work)Also,you need CUPS client installed.

Return to “Beginners”