Open menu with Windows key

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:44 pm

By 'Windows key", I mean this:
windowskey.jpeg
windowskey.jpeg (5 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
By menu, I mean this:
menu button.png
menu button.png (3.06 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
On my raspbian, the menu does not open when I press the Windows key. I think it used to on Stretch before upgrading to Buster.
Pretty sure it can be fixed by adding an entry in ~/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml

I understand the syntax in lxde-pi-rc.xml, so two questions: What is the key name for the Windows key(such as Print, XF86AudioRaiseVolume, etc.), and what is the lxpanel command to open the menu?
Easily install anything on your Pi using Pi-Apps. Over 2 million users.
Over 200 apps including image editors, IDEs, games, web browsers, appearance themes, and more to upgrade your Raspberry Pi desktop.
More info: https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps

LTolledo

Re: Open menu with Windows key

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:54 pm

On RPi4B-4G with Raspbian Buster Full Desktop (last updated 11/09/2019), pressing the "windows key" activates the menu button (where I can select Programming, Education, Office....etc)

RPi3B with Raspbian Stretch Full Desktop (this unit now am using to write to this forum), same results when pressing the "windows key"

I usually yank out the "windows key" off the keyboards of my gaming units..... ;)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

milkaca

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:56 am

I have the same issue, it stopped working after I upgraded to Buster. Any idea where and what to check?

klricks

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:24 pm

amilino wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:56 am
I have the same issue, it stopped working after I upgraded to Buster. Any idea where and what to check?
My (Left) Windows key works with Buster as before.
The right side Windows key, if your keyboard has one, does not do anything.
Of course all bets are off if you upgraded from Stretch to Buster rather than doing a fresh install.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPi OS Bullseye w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Beginners”