WODAK

Re: Google Hangouts with Raspberry Pi 4B - Request to Raspbian Foundation

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:23 pm

Why don't you try a different approach. If you have a android phone you can use screen mirroring on rasbian.

For example you can use scrcpy over adb or a mobizen application. Your android phone will be used for camera and a mic. The screen from your android phone will be mirrored on your desktop. For output sound you can use bluetooth with android phone and raspberry :)

Then you can use any of your android conference/chat applications all over WIFI...no cables...:)

I use it for my kids and it works like a charm :)

maxtorete

Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:57 pm

Hi all,

I think the Raspberry has achieved so incredible things that we tend to overestimate it.

I got droidcam working on my Pi 3B+ to use my Android phone as Camera and Mic. I'm a total noob on Raspberry (I bought it a year ago to use it as an Steamlink box, to discover that Steam doesn't use va-api on AMD hardware for in-home streaming), but with a 3 years old son that want to video call his grand parents every day I thought I could give a second try to the Pi.

The result is a 2fps video call with stuttering sounds and a black screen every 2 or 3 seconds. I realized then that a 1080p bi-directional video and audio streaming is a really demanding task, almost impossible for the Pi 3B+ hardware.

It was a fun time fighting to build droidcam though, so I don't think it was time wasted.

Zirconium

Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:36 pm

I was in the exact same position as you (homeschooling, Google Meet etc.) with a webcam that was updating the frame every 5 seconds. However before joining the meeting the video preview was flawless.

I managed to get it working by clicking the 3 dots in the preview video (just before joining a meeting) and then Settings.

Under Video i changed the "Send Resolution" from the default "Standard Definition (360p)" to "High Definition (720p)" which seemed counter-intuitive to me.

It then worked perfectly.

Hope this works for you!

supernormal

Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:26 am

I had the same use case of getting my son attend school via google meet on rpi4 - gb.

I was able to get google meet work without freezed frames by enabling usb boot in pi4 by following instructions here https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/boo ... y-pi-4-usb

I also used the 64 bit Raspberry pi Os. 64 bit os with SD card still caused freezed frames. But with the SSD and usb boot it was smooth. So I presume it’s the SSD.

Return to “Beginners”