fergusondavid6

VNC Multiple Users at one time

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi,
I know that you can have many VNC users connected to different displays of the Raspberry Pi, I was wondering how many you could connect at once to a single Pi, without the Pi becoming unusable.

Has anyone done this? If so, how many users work for you?

Thanks in advance.

sdjf

Re: VNC Multiple Users at one time

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:43 pm

I have not tried with more than two users at once. I really think it depends on how many other processes are running that might be memory intense.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

Joe Schmoe

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:49 pm

My experience with every version of VNC that I've tried is that it is "one user only" by default (with the behavior of the new user knocking the old user off). There is an option "shared" that changes this and allows multiple users to connect simultaneously.

Have you tried that?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

DougieLawson

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:38 pm

When you connect a client you can have it in "view only mode". That means it just tracks the primary client, but can't operate the remote system.

I've just tried that with the primary client on my android tablet and a second client tracking it on Win8.1
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on Twitter/LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

sdjf

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:26 pm

Sorry did not mention the "shared" option. I use that when necessary, for two users to connect to the same VNC session. But it sounds like the question is whether it is possible for the Pi to support several users each with their own display. It certainly is possible, but that is where I think memory could turn into an issue, too many independent displays running at the same time. How many is too many will be something that needs to be learned by trial and error, or seeing if anyone else has an answer to the question by using a search engine to ask the question and see if the information about someone else's experience has been posted somewhere on the web.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

Return to “Beginners”