t-a-s

Rewind And Fast Forward not functioning in XBMC

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:41 pm

I am having an issue with the fast forward and rewind functions on OpenELEC xmbc (r11298).

When I use the keyboard shortcuts (R and F) it shows the graphic to say it is fast forwarding or rewinding (and even cycles through 2x, 4x, etc) but the video just continues to play at normal speed just with no sound (which returns when you press play). I get the same effect when I use the OSD menu to rewind or fast forward as well. I have tried previous builds (back to 11258) with the same result.

The up, down, left, right keys skip through the video as they should.

Has anyone else had experienced this?

abishur

Re: Rewind And Fast Forward not functioning in XBMC

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:45 pm

I believe this might be an issue with xbmc itself. I know I read something about that issue, but I for the life of me I can't remember if this is an issue with the pi port of xbmc, or a general issue with xbmc 12.0 at the moment
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Daz555

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:57 pm

Same thing here. I have been working around it by using the left/right and up/down buttons on my MCE remote which move the film 1 min and 5 mins at a time respectively.

t-a-s

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks for the replies, glad it's not just me.

I have read others having problems with FF and rewind with other distributions of xbmc but most of these we're over a year old. I'd not seen any reports from other RPi users (until now).

In fact, I've just found @wumpyr has posted an issue on the git (https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/817) for this bug.

I'll update this thread when I find a workaround or fix.

t-a-s

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:33 am

I've done some poking around and I believe (could be totally wrong!) this is down to omxplayer. In OMXPlayer.cpp I found this, which (I think) explains why

Code: Select all

/* only pause and normal playspeeds are allowed */
  if(iSpeed > 1 || iSpeed < 0)
    return;
I'm sure I saw somewhere else this may be related to an issue regarding syncing the av(?) clock, but I can't find that comment now the life of me.

As a workaround I have changed the FF and RW CEC remote functions to send ACTION_STEP_BACK/FOWARD which skips the video forward or back 5 seconds. It's not ideal, but at least you have some way of moving through the video.

wumpyr

Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:59 pm

@t-a-s Can you please post your remote.xml that changes FF/RW to stepped actions?

t-a-s

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:30 am

Sure:
remote.xml.zip
(526 Bytes) Downloaded 954 times

jbruntt

Fixed my problem on xbian

Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:19 pm

I had the same problem with fast forward etc.
The sample file led me to insert entries for reverse and forward in my remote.xml. A restart, and now I have a much better experience.

I found the file using
find / -name remote.xml

wumpyr

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:03 am

How do I adjust the interval of the FF/RW stepping?

t-a-s

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:25 am

You need to edit/ make advancedsettings.xml see here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Us ... ttings.xml

This should change it to 5 second steps:

Code: Select all

<advancedsettings>
<video> <!-- "VideoSettings" instead of "video" for builds prior to May 22, 2006 -->
  <usetimeseeking>true</usetimeseeking>  <!-- Whether to use time based or percentage based seeking. -->
  <timeseekforward>5</timeseekforward>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a short seek.  Defaults to 30. -->
  <timeseekbackward>-5</timeseekbackward>  <!-- Time to seek backward in seconds when doing a short seek.  Defaults to -30. -->
  <timeseekforwardbig>600</timeseekforwardbig>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a long seek.  Defaults to 600 (10 minutes). -->
  <timeseekbackwardbig>-600</timeseekbackwardbig>
</video>
</advancedsettings>
HTH

Return to “Media centres”