liudr

Black screen with cursor (basic openbox?)

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:12 pm

I have the most recent Raspbian on an SD card running on RPI3B+. Did the apt-get upgrade. I enabled vnc and was using vnc for all my interactions with it.

I then made a copy using win32 image writer. The original sd card went into an RPI0. The clone went into the RPI3B+. The original card in RPI0 works fine. Without an HDMI display, it is outputting 640*480 resolution over vnc. The clone in RPI3B+ works but won't auto log in to pixie desktop. Instead it shows a black screen with mouse cursor. I can right click and start terminal emulator plus a few other things. The taskbar is gone, so is the start menu and everything else. I also used local display and keyboard. Same result. I tried to "exit" which only results in nothing at all, black screen and mouse cursor, not more right-click menu.

I also disabled auto-login and manually logged into GUI, same thing, only this time the background image is displaying.

How can I fix this problem?
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

gkaiseril

Re: Black screen with cursor (basic openbox?)

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:42 pm

I would not use Windows on any device with Unix/Linux file system since Windows does not recognize the Unix/Linux file system unless some special programs are added to the Windows system.

Using a USB card reader on the Pi 3B+ you can use the SD Copier to clone the running OS.

Have you tried the original SD card in the Pi3B+?
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

lmarmisa

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:41 am

Your problem could be related to the HDMI screen resolution.

Try

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
and then 7 Advanced options -> A5 Resolution and select your option. Finally, reboot the system.

Take a look at the file /boot/config.txt too.

cat /boot/config.txt
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

You can check if your RPi3B+ GUI works properly if the system becomes headless. If so, the screen resolution is the origin of your problem.

liudr

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:59 am

Thanks. My original sd card runs fine on an RPI0 system headless. The resolution I got is 720*480. I am not sure how to change that. The command.txt is identical between my original and clone sd cards.

I went into raspi-config and set the resolution to 1280*720 and rebooted. The result is the same. The pixie desktop is nowhere to be found. I end up with basic openbox GUI.

I have had this RPI3B+ connected to my monitor for the whole time so I thought that I'd just disconnect the HDMI cable and try headless. Same result.

If I can't even get a clone desktop GUI working, I'm not confident with the rest of the system on the clone. I'm going to try the raspbian sd copy on my rpi with the original sd card and see if that does anything better.
lmarmisa wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:41 am
Your problem could be related to the HDMI screen resolution.

Try

sudo raspi-config
and then 7 Advanced options -> A5 Resolution and select your option. Finally, reboot the system.

Take a look at the file /boot/config.txt too.

cat /boot/config.txt
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

You can check if your RPi3B+ GUI works properly if the system becomes headless. If so, the screen resolution is the origin of your problem.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

liudr

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:41 am

gkaiseril wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:42 pm
I would not use Windows on any device with Unix/Linux file system since Windows does not recognize the Unix/Linux file system unless some special programs are added to the Windows system.

Using a USB card reader on the Pi 3B+ you can use the SD Copier to clone the running OS.

Have you tried the original SD card in the Pi3B+?
Win32 disk imager is the officially recommended program to put the raspbian image on an sd card and does that fine. It used to be recommended for backups too. Something changed and it is no longer able to make backups. Thanks for reminding me the SD copier program. The SD copier program runs rather slowly on my RPI0. I did make a copy after a long time. The copy did work so it's great. The point was to be able to make multiple backups on a hard drive and not wasting multiple sd cards for multiple backups. I'll look for other ways to make images, maybe on a linux machine and using DD. I really think that a simple disk dump shouldn't be an issue on windows, which I did many times for RPI1 and RPI2 sd cards before finding paragon backup and restore, which could edit the image, such as changing files within the linux partition in the image, shrinking volumes when writing back to an sd card, and image compression. That has stopped working after a certain raspbian version.

maqdxb

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:02 pm

Here is another possible solution. that is if u have messed up with autostart file somehow..

I had a similar problem with my Pi and I found what the problem was and the solution.

I had 2 autostart files:

Global commands:

/etc/xdg/lxsession//autostart

Local commands:

~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

And, according to documentation "If both files are present, only the entries in the local file will be executed." And my local file was empty.

After deleting the empty file, LXDE desktop was back and no more black screen.

Return to “General discussion”