viroscope

Re: Home entertainment Netwok

Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:04 pm

My project is simple really, Connect a Pi to several TVs and have them connected to my home network along with mapping a network drive to them.

Install XBMC onto each of the systems configured to read the mapped network drive's contents (Mass Movie and Television Storage) along with a couple no longer in use android phones connected via wifi with XBMC remote control.

And pretty much that's it all TVs will be able to watch any movies or shows in the archives and XBMC's parental control features enabled in the kids rooms to restrict the rating of the shows/movies that they choose to watch while still allowing me to run a firewall/ web filter on my router to allow the kids to access the net via their tv while still restricting them to websites that I consider appropriate for them till their older.

But yea that is my personal project/plan for a few Pis

vman81

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:06 pm

I'd love to do this too, but it will probably require h.264 encoded video. For HD at least. Anyone know if it has the horsepower to software decode regular divx?

Benja

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Don't know if it will be able to do software decode, but we haven't yet been told which codecs will be included (except h.264). So until liz comes back with info on that part, all we can do is speculate.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:41 pm

To be honest, I been using H264 for my latest encodes. Difficult to improve on it, find it halves or more the size of the previous MP4 (which I *think* DivX 6 uses internally anyway, 7 uses H264 internally).

Also, started using Handbrake to do my encodes, and it does a better job with h264 than the previous package I was using - DVD::Rip. Not sure why, x264 simply wouldn't work in DVD::Rip.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

Nobody

Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:55 pm

What I would like to know is, if the Raspberry Pi will be capable of decoding h264 in Hi10p flavor and if yes, also at 1080p?

P.S.: Sorry if this has been asked before.

viroscope

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:34 am

Maybe late to reply but yes 1080p too they have the video demo of it now too

Return to “Other projects”