JovianPyx

Raspberry Pi-4 Heatsink Locations

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:58 pm

I've just received two Raspberry Pi 4 B starter kits which contain a small bag with 3 heatsinks. The quick start guide has an image of an older version of the board which has one less IC on it. The quick start guide says to use the image for placement of the heatsinks, but the image does not represent the real board.

The most obvious heatsink is the largest one which would go on the CPU chip (which is easy to identify).

The other two heatsinks are where I have questions. One is small and square, the other is an elongated rectangle (and a bit more than twice the size of the small square one).

There is a heat image here: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ra ... ,6193.html and it's easy to see the CPU chip is hot. To the right there are two ICs, they show some heating, which looks fairly equal to me. In the lower left corner just above the power connector is a very small IC that looks like it gets really hot. I would guess that the small square heatsink goes on this lower left IC.

So my questions are:
1) Is my guess about the CPU chip correct?
2) Is my guess about the lower left IC correct?
3) where do I install the elongated heatsink? (it is not long enough to span both chips on the right of the board).

An updated correct image of the board with arrows labeling the chips and which ones need heatsinks would be very helpful.

Thank you for your time.

drgeoff

Re: Raspberry Pi-4 Heatsink Locations

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:36 pm

The official kit does not contain heatsinks so your kits have been put together by someone else. Suggest you direct your questions to your supplier.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi-4 Heatsink Locations

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:03 pm

The hottest chips are the CPU, the Wifi and the USB chip. So the two ones with silver covers, and the largest of the 3 chips nr the USB connectors.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

Return to “General discussion”