RobCranfill

Re: new Raspberry Pi Imager doesn't see Micro SD card

Sat May 23, 2020 5:43 pm

I just ran into this problem - my SD card wasn't recognized by Imager, even tho everything else on my Windows machine could see it.

Then I noticed the card - an old-school full-sized SD card, not a micro card - was locked: the little tab on the side was set to the 'locked' position.

I unlocked it, tried again, and now Imager sees the card. Ya might call this a bug in Imager; I would.

DougieLawson

Sat May 23, 2020 6:05 pm

RobCranfill wrote:
I unlocked it, tried again, and now Imager sees the card. Ya might call this a bug in Imager; I would.
With microSD cards in adapters there's no lock. Every RPi since the 2014 B+ uses micro SD. So your feature request has a very small potential user base.

The code is open source https://github.com/raspberrypi/rpi-imager so there's nothing to stop you adding that new feature and doing a pull request.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on https://twitter.com/DougieLawson or LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

davidcoton

Sat May 23, 2020 8:38 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
With microSD cards in adapters there's no lock.
The two brands of adapter I have (RPi and Sandisk) both have lock sliders on the adapters themselves, so it still can be an issue.
Solution is the same, though.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

incognitum

Sun May 24, 2020 8:30 am

DougieLawson wrote:
RobCranfill wrote:
With microSD cards in adapters there's no lock. Every RPi since the 2014 B+ uses micro SD. So your feature request has a very small potential user base.
It used to show read-only devices in early versions.
But those have been hidden later because the read-only devices also included a lot of things that are not a SD card nor USB stick, like open .DMG files on Mac OS X.

B.Goode

Sun May 24, 2020 9:27 am

RobCranfill wrote:
I just ran into this problem - my SD card wasn't recognized by Imager, even tho everything else on my Windows machine could see it.

Then I noticed the card - an old-school full-sized SD card, not a micro card - was locked: the little tab on the side was set to the 'locked' position.

"Ya might call this a bug in Imager; I would."

You are welcome to your view. I would call it a sensible design choice.

The primary purpose of Raspberry Pi Imager is to write an image to the designated output device, often - but not exclusively - an SD, or microSD, card. If the card is write-locked it can't be written to, so not listing it as being available as a target for writing seems entirely consistent.

andreabefuen

Fri May 29, 2020 8:50 am

OH MY GOOOOOOD
I've been like 2 hours trying to figure out WHY I can't use Raspberry Pi Imager and it was the scroll down!

thanks btw!

RobCranfill

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:54 pm

I see that the "locked cards don't show up" is already reported as issue #59 on GitHub. I didn't realize this was open source, I will look there first in future! :-)

Botspot

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:05 pm

Yes, the scroll down problem has been very frustrating, myself included.
I opened an issue on their GitHub page, and they FIXED IT!
:) :D :mrgreen:
Easily install anything on your Pi using Pi-Apps. Over 2 million users.
Over 200 apps including image editors, IDEs, games, web browsers, appearance themes, and more to upgrade your Raspberry Pi desktop.
More info: https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps

Ryan780

Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:27 am

I cannot believe that is the only thing that is causing this problem!!! I went through the exact same thing. Even though this should really be fixed, just posting a simple warning or not on the bottom of the window would be at least something. I mean, how hard are scroll bars in a UI implementation really? I am really disappointed that this doesn't work right. I mean, this seems like a HUGE miss to me.

Update: And would you look at that, the scroll bars do appear...but only AFTER you've already scrolled!! Also, you can't click and use the arrow keys to move up and down. So, the only possible way to use it is a mouse with a scroll wheel. Good grief.

Botspot

Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:56 pm

Ryan780 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:27 am
I mean, how hard are scroll bars in a UI implementation really? I am really disappointed that this doesn't work right.
the scroll bars do appear...but only AFTER you've already scrolled!!
Are you using the latest version? See my above post - they fixed it so now scrollbars show constantly.
Easily install anything on your Pi using Pi-Apps. Over 2 million users.
Over 200 apps including image editors, IDEs, games, web browsers, appearance themes, and more to upgrade your Raspberry Pi desktop.
More info: https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps

RUHavingFun

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:51 pm

**** Updated ****

My version was 1.2 and I just updated to 1.5 and now see they do handle this better now.

Just ran into this. Hard to believe still an issue. Seriously please make it more obvious there are possibly more choices. Mine is B: and so since it is not at the top as I would have assumed but I do see my Lexar device in the list but showing a zero size it is not intuitive that there is more to the list.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-04 104953.png
Screenshot 2021-01-04 104953.png (49.06 KiB) Viewed 633 times

Return to “Beginners”