PranavLal

How do I tell that my raspberry pi 400 is switched on?

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:56 pm

Hi all,

Is there a way for me to tell that my raspberry pi 400 is switched on?

I connect my pi to a LAN port and monitor my router logs for an IP address to be obtained. I plan to use this pi as a talking computer. I can do the same when I am at home but what about when I am traveling and in a first use scenario?

I am blind so cannot see any lights.

Pranav

LewTheOrganist

Re: How do I tell that my raspberry pi 400 is switched on?

Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:19 am

PranavLal wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a way for me to tell that my raspberry pi 400 is switched on?

I connect my pi to a LAN port and monitor my router logs for an IP address to be obtained. I plan to use this pi as a talking computer. I can do the same when I am at home but what about when I am traveling and in a first use scenario?

Pranav
Hi and welcome to the list.

I too am fully blind, a mac user (professional / developer) and recently using the pi.

The Pi 400 like the pi boards themselves, is not easy to know if powered on or not until it boots to the chosen desktop OS and ORCA starts up. It's not like a PC where older systems the fans would ramp or there would be a system beep, or the mac, to this day, where it chimes.

Personally I believe that the pi should make use of a starting beep or some kind of chime from the specified output it finds on active boot.

lew
If music be the food of love, then for heaven's sake PLAY ON!

DougieLawson

Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:28 am

LewTheOrganist wrote:

Personally I believe that the pi should make use of a starting beep or some kind of chime from the specified output it finds on active boot.

Anything you try to do in that way won't start until the same point in booting as Orca starting. There is BIOS, there is no on-board beeper.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on Twitter/LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

LewTheOrganist

Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:32 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:28 am
LewTheOrganist wrote:

Anything you try to do in that way won't start until the same point in booting as Orca starting. There is BIOS, there is no on-board beeper.
in that case, BIOS should give system beep as an option on power up. go back to the days of older intel systems, servers, etc where bios would use a system speaker to beep, this is part of POST.
If music be the food of love, then for heaven's sake PLAY ON!

DougieLawson

Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:38 am

LewTheOrganist wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:32 am

in that case, BIOS should give system beep as an option on power up. go back to the days of older intel systems, servers, etc where bios would use a system speaker to beep, this is part of POST.
There is no BIOS, there isn't a POST process. The Raspberry Pi does NOT boot that way.

For the sighted folks; all we see is the green LED winking and the scrolling kernel text if a TV is connected. You wouldn't be able to replace that LED with a beeper because it continues to wink after the system is fully booted.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on Twitter/LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

epoch1970

Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:46 am

It’s always a matter of footprint and cost with built in devices.
However the GPIO is available and addressable from both the boot firmware and the OS.
Just found this thread from 2013: viewtopic.php?t=35412
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

slomobile

Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:40 pm

"For the sighted folks; all we see is the green LED winking"
That must be common across many devices. I wonder if it would be feasible to make a pocketable fingertip worn device with optical sensor, cr2032 battery, and a tiny piezo beeper. If your fingertip is above an illuminated LED, it beeps. If you are using the Pi 400, or any device with an "ON" LED, that LED is in a fixed position, usually within a hand breadth of a corner.
Alternatively, to avoid carrying yet another tool, a camera phone should be able to distinguish the high contrast blinking light from its surroundings and issue a similar beep, or haptic vibration. Its just a matter of finding or developing the app.

chibop

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:38 pm

PranavLal wrote:
I got a case with fan and power adapter with on/off switch. When I press power, I can hear the little fan noise or feel the air coming out from the case.

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”