Saladin

Low Voltage Warning - New Pi

Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:34 pm

I recently purchased a new Pi 4 8GB w/ an Argon One V2 and have been super excited to set everything up. I've got Plex, PiHole and SMB set up on it via Pi OS 64bit on a 64GB Samsung EVO+ and no actual issues with the software so far. (I think)

Randomly out of nowhere I get a low voltage warning with nothing really happening, I haven't accessed anything on Plex yet so the only real thing running is PiHole. I've configured the fan to turn on at lower temps as well, but when I run

Code: Select all

vcgencmd measure_volts
it tells me the volt is only 0.8700V. Is this normal, even under load?

I apologize if I've been a bit obscure, this is my first dive into the Pi realm so I'm still fresh but I'll be happy to provide any more info if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated :D Have been searching everywhere and can't find anything.

pcmanbob

Re: Low Voltage Warning - New Pi

Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:52 am

Hi.

So a low volt warning means the 5V supply to your pi has dropped below 4.65V,

This is either because you power supply cannot supply the required current at 5V or the cable between your power supply and the pi is of poor quality and you have excessive volt drop over it.

The recommended power supply is this one.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ty ... er-supply/
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

wildfire

Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:21 pm

Have you tried the (slightly more powerful) Argon Power Supply?

Pi Hut Link...

https://thepihut.com/products/argon-one ... 5-25v-3-5a
from link above wrote: Note: The official Raspberry Pi 4 power supply provides enough voltage and current for these cases for general usage, however users may wish to opt for this power supply if their project is likely to be demanding.
E8 85 A2 40 C9 40 81 94 40 81 95 40 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

Burngate

Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:30 pm

Saladin wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:34 pm
... but when I run

Code: Select all

vcgencmd measure_volts
it tells me the volt is only 0.8700V. Is this normal, even under load?
The voltage measured by "vcgencmd measure_volts" is one of several inside the SoC, and has little to do with the in-coming nominal 5v monitored by the PMIC to produce the low-voltage warning.

If the incoming 5v drops, any USB devices attached are likely to suffer before the Pi itself does, but getting the warning means everything is going to be unreliable.

Return to “Troubleshooting”