Herbaldew

Re: Bullseye - Comments and bug reports thread.

Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:40 pm

re: Matchbox Keyboard - Is this just me?

Buster:
buster.jpg
buster.jpg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 1369 times

Bullseye:
bullseye.jpg
bullseye.jpg (30.2 KiB) Viewed 1369 times

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:47 pm

thanks! Latest arandr package update from today seems to have fixed the Screen Layout Editor (left/right is no longer grayed out and working).
2021-11-09-194919_640x480_scrot.jpg
2021-11-09-194919_640x480_scrot.jpg (114.08 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
arandr_update.jpg
latest arandr package update should fix this
arandr_update.jpg (32.24 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
Last edited by aBUGSworstnightmare on Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpiMike

Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:55 pm

Herbaldew wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:40 pm
re: Matchbox Keyboard - Is this just me?
I get the same.

RedMarsBlueMoon

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:06 pm

What I understand is hardware rendering for glxgears was temporarily turned off because it slows down the compositor used on other models of Pi. It would be nice to know whether this understanding is correct and if there's work around.
Oh. I thought that these days compositors actually used Hardware rendering (where available) to be faster and better?
EDIT: I see 'Mutter' (Swedish or German?? :D i guess german) is tied to Wayland. Which is meant to be 'The Future' right? So even more baffling that its not working with Hardware accelleration.

alphanumeric

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:18 pm

malaire wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:16 pm
malaire wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:57 pm
Doesn't work at all with "Raspberry Pi 3 Model B V1.2" and official touch display.

You get message that filesystem was resized and system is rebooted, then Raspberry Pi logo which fades to striped screen, and then nothing (video).

I waited several minutes after that video ends but nothing happened, desktop never appeared.
Neither of the suggested fixes change anything, i.e.
A) add "dtoverlay=vc4-kms-dsi-7inch" to boot/config.txt before first boot
B) add "dtoverlay=vc4-kms-dsi-7inch" and remove "display_auto_detect=1" from boot/config.txt before first boot

Is there anything else I can try, or is the official display just not supported at all in Bullseye?
Didn't work for me either, mine is a very well used version 1, 7 inch touch screen.
I suspect your going to have to disconnect the DSI cable and do the first time use setup on an HDMI monitor.
Then do the config.txt edit, shutdown, connect the DSI cable, cross your fingers, and boot up.

It's a bit of a PITA for me to disconnect the DSI cable, which is why I bailed and went back to Buster.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:20 pm

RedMarsBlueMoon wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:06 pm
Oh. I thought that these days compositors actually used Hardware rendering (where available) to be faster and better?
The answer is, it's complicated.

Depending on the pixel format of the X window, it may need a conversion into a different format suitable for use as a texture by the 3D hardware.
Conversion and then blitting by the 3d hardware may actually be slower than doing a dumb memcpy, especially on the slower models of Pi.
Also when 3d acceleration is disabled, we may be able to use fbturbo which can blit windows using 2D DMA which is generally the most efficient solution.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:30 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:18 pm
malaire wrote:
malaire wrote:
Doesn't work at all with "Raspberry Pi 3 Model B V1.2" and official touch display.

You get message that filesystem was resized and system is rebooted, then Raspberry Pi logo which fades to striped screen, and then nothing (video).

I waited several minutes after that video ends but nothing happened, desktop never appeared.
B) add "dtoverlay=vc4-kms-dsi-7inch" and remove "display_auto_detect=1" from boot/config.txt before first boot

Is there anything else I can try, or is the official display just not supported at all in Bullseye?
Didn't work for me either, mine is a very well used version 1, 7 inch touch screen.
I suspect your going to have to disconnect the DSI cable and do the first time use setup on an HDMI monitor.
Then do the config.txt edit, shutdown, connect the DSI cable, cross your fingers, and boot up.

It's a bit of a PITA for me to disconnect the DSI cable, which is why I bailed and went back to Buster.
sounds odd though, as something seems to probe the DSI display but is failing then.
As this is related to the official 7in display lets hope there will be clear instructions available soon (and/or a bugfix)

RedMarsBlueMoon

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:34 pm

Surprising that it should be faster doing software copies rather than hw format conversions. Something to remember for other things. How does those calculations scale with sceen resolutions?

Also I read about something called 'Cogl',
(re Mutter)
Internally it uses a fork of Cogl, a hardware acceleration abstraction library
used to simplify usage of OpenGL pipelines
Does Raspi OS also use this Cogl?

gadgetoid

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:39 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:27 pm
If not ask the supplier to get one added (I think a pull-request for that display will be accepted by RPT).
I *am* the supplier :?

Thanks for the pointers- I’d noticed these and had a poke around in the corresponding .dts. These overlays don’t seem to be doing all that much.

There are generic DSI overlays for things like dpi18, but no corresponding vc4 overlays for those- if I’m upstreaming anything would a catch-all vc4-dpi18-generic version make sense?

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:43 pm

gadgetoid wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:39 pm
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:27 pm
If not ask the supplier to get one added (I think a pull-request for that display will be accepted by RPT).
I *am* the supplier :?

Thanks for the pointers- I’d noticed these and had a poke around in the corresponding .dts. These overlays don’t seem to be doing all that much.

There are generic DSI overlays for things like dpi18, but no corresponding vc4 overlays for those- if I’m upstreaming anything would a catch-all vc4-dpi18-generic version make sense?
i see *lol*

Then here is a good reading for you: viewtopic.php?t=312819

My pull request on the Inno added new pincrtl settings as well as some media bus formats.
Don't know which one your display needs, so just check the sources if it's there. If not add it and make pull request.

Edit: forget to mention: your display timing(s) should be added to panel-simple.c i.e.
Last edited by aBUGSworstnightmare on Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1PoP

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:44 pm

malaire wrote:

Same issue here: same Pi model, same blank screen. However i'm outputting to a Sony TV with standard HDMI.
I did try changing the hdmi options to no avail.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:24 pm

for those reporting issues with slow VNC when headless - make sure to have a look at this viewtopic.php?p=1935714#p1935711

ngdl

Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:32 pm

malaire wrote:
malaire wrote:

The only method that got the screen working for me on a Raspberry pi 3a was to use use vc4-fkms-v3d driver.
in config.text replace:

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
with:

dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
that was enough to get the GU working. The second issue I encountered with the touch wasn't working well.
This seems to be due to a composite-screen and that issue was corrected by:
from the desktop GUI select preferences > Screen Configuration
Select configure from the menu then select > Screens > Composite-1
if Active is ticked for Composite 1 click on active and then the click apply button.

gadgetoid

Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:47 pm

Edit: forget to mention: your display timing(s) should be added to panel-simple.c i.e.
:shock:

You're... kidding... right?

*looks at file*

Oh. Oh dear god.

Linux: hey we've invented this cool thing called device tree where you can put all your HW config
Also Linux: hard-codes 5k lines of LCD timings into a .c file

I think I'll just use the best approximation because this is so cursed I might actually have an aneurism trying to work with it.

Just sticking your dtoverlay above ours works pretty well, save for a complete absence of rotation support! I'm guessing the timings set in /boot/config.txt still override those configured in... *gulp* that... eldritch abomination of a .c file.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:50 pm

gadgetoid wrote:

*looks at file*

Oh. Oh dear god.

Linux: hey we've invented this cool thing called device tree where you can put all your HW config

I think I'll just use the best approximation because this is so cursed I might actually have an aneurism trying to work with it.

Just sticking your dtoverlay above ours works pretty well, save for a complete absence of rotation support! I'm guessing the timings set in /boot/config.txt still override those configured in... *gulp* that... eldritch abomination of a .c file.
you can use device tree for sure! Works too as well, but I learned that upstream will never accept such overlays

Everything which is hdmi_something and dpi_something in config.txt will not work with KMS!

Rotation is handled via xrandr, not via overlay (only in case you can change the TCON scan direction via HW inputs)

jamesh

Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:53 pm

gadgetoid wrote:

*looks at file*

Oh. Oh dear god.

Yeah, that panel-simple.c files is a bit of a nightmare. But it does cover quite a few different panels. It would help if panel manufacturers came up with a standard. Hahahahahahahhahahhahahahha. Sorry, what was I thinking!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

Fulleren

Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:57 pm

I'm a little disappointed. I put the image on a new 64GB SD-card, put it into my new 8GB Pi4 and plug it to a 4K TV attached with a Keyboard with a touchpad.
It turn everything on and wait a while. I get the cloud picture but no menubar and after searching i discover "ket" in the uppermost left corner.

The Greetings dialog is there and i can change the password, set language and Wifi network. What i can not do, is activate SSH because there is no way to reach the menu. So i tried to get a console typing Alt-F2 and get a blank screen. It took my a moment to understand that the login prompt is rendered outside the visible area. Typing blind i logged in started raspi-config to activate ssh, but found no way to change the screen resolution. Im lazy so i use Windows remotedesktop program with xrdp for remote graphical sessions.. xrdp was preinstalled in buster but no longer in bullseye. a quick apt-get install xrdp solved that problem. Unfortunately using rdp i just just gets a black screen after login..

I know the TV i use has a resolution of 3840 x 2160 and works best at 30Hz but setting hdmi_mode to 95 did not do the trick.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:01 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:53 pm
Yeah, that panel-simple.c files is a bit of a nightmare. But it does cover quite a few different panels. It would help if panel manufacturers came up with a standard. Hahahahahahahhahahhahahahha. Sorry, what was I thinking!
*hehe* that was a good one!
Don't know if 'thigh knocker' is the correct translation for 'Schenkelklopfer' ...
Maybe knee slapper is the better one.

Anyhow, having an overlay template which has the timings included might be appreciated by some users (as quite some folks here were dealing with overlays to get their panels working).

beardedfool

Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:08 pm

lsb_release -a

Is it intentional that arm64 bullseye (only) shows
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Release: 11
Codename: bullseye

It was quite a handy way to know you're dealing with a pi in ansible through ansible_lsb.id (other suggestions welcome please)

malaire

Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:10 pm

ngdl wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:32 pm
malaire wrote:
malaire wrote:

The only method that got the screen working for me on a Raspberry pi 3a was to use use vc4-fkms-v3d driver.
in config.text replace:

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
with:

dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
that was enough to get the GU working. The second issue I encountered with the touch wasn't working well.
This seems to be due to a composite-screen and that issue was corrected by:
from the desktop GUI select preferences > Screen Configuration
Select configure from the menu then select > Screens > Composite-1
if Active is ticked for Composite 1 click on active and then the click apply button.
Thanks! This works for me also (including the fix to get touch working)!

Peter Ryan

Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:28 pm

Not wishing to pester* but... alt-tab to switch between windows - does it work? For me, it only switches between the last two windows to have focus.

* I was tempted to just post "A GIN AND ORANGE! A LEMON SQUASH! AND A SCOTCH AND WATER, PLEASE!" ... but perhaps that's a bit too obscure? :D

HawaiianPi

Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:07 pm

Fulleren wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:57 pm
What i can not do, is activate SSH because there is no way to reach the menu. So i tried to get a console typing Alt-F2 and get a blank screen. It took my a moment to understand that the login prompt is rendered outside the visible area.
This is a common problem with a TV because they do something called overscan (picture is larger than the screen display area, and the edges get cut off). This is an old feature from the days of rounded edge CRT televisions, and I'm not sure why they still do this on HDTV, but they do.

There are a few ways to fix it. Best would be to turn off overscan in your TV settings. The problem is that not all of them have that setting (most 1080p or higher resolution sets have it, but many lower resolution models do not). Another problem is that TV makers don't call it overscan (most make up their own name for that setting, so it can be difficult to find).

Other fixes exist in the OS. You can turn on overscan compensation, or use framebuffer settings to change the display area. This may or may not work, depending on which graphics subsystem you are using, and may change with updates and new releases (which is why it's better to just set-it-and-forget-it in the TV itself).

So... if you can't find the setting in your TV to turn off overscan, then try settings in raspi-config or config.txt.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups, and where is that annoying music coming from?

twilightened

Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:52 pm

Compared to buster, bullseye feels a lot laggy to be honest. A lot of this lag is probably caused by the new window manager and its effects. It would be cool to be able to turn the window effects off. Apart from the lag, i also experienced "freezes" for a couple seconds in which the system became unresponsive but then came back. And where is "Kodi"??? I need Kodi in my life :)

Got back to Buster like an old lover.

bls

Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:20 pm

twilightened wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:52 pm
Compared to buster, bullseye feels a lot laggy to be honest. A lot of this lag is probably caused by the new window manager and its effects. It would be cool to be able to turn the window effects off. Apart from the lag, i also experienced "freezes" for a couple seconds in which the system became unresponsive but then came back. And where is "Kodi"??? I need Kodi in my life :)

Got back to Buster like an old lover.
Huh. 64-bit Bullseye seems snappier to me than 64-bit Buster. But then, I'm running Lite with icewm as window manager. I still need to fire up a RasPiOS with Desktop. Who knows? I may be coming back sheepishly to agree with you :lol:
Pi tools:
Quickly and easily build customized-just-for-you SSDs/SD Cards: https://github.com/gitbls/sdm
Easily run and manage your network's DHCP/DNS servers on a Pi: https://github.com/gitbls/ndm
Easy and secure strongSwan VPN installer/manager: https://github.com/gitbls/pistrong
Lightweight Virtual VNC Config: https://github.com/gitbls/RPiVNCHowTo

Peter Ryan

Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:22 pm

Peter Ryan wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:28 pm
Not wishing to pester* but... alt-tab to switch between windows - does it work? For me, it only switches between the last two windows to have focus.
Assuming the settings for this are in /org/gnome/desktop/wm/keybindings/ (dconf-editor), then I can see alt-tab in there for switch-applications, and I can also see shift-alt-tab to switch-applications-backwards. The latter works as expected for me. The former, as previously described, does not!

UPDATE: I am running a fresh install of Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye Desktop on a Pi 4B 8GB, so presumably alt-tab is being provided by Mutter?
Last edited by Peter Ryan on Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”