tigernero

Pi Os bullseye not running on display inch 7 original raspberry

Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:16 pm

I tried to start a fresh installation of Pi Os Bullseye on a pi3A connected to an original 7 inch raspberry display but when it gets to the splash boot logo it crashes black screen and white vertical lines. how to solve?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi Os bullseye not running on display inch 7 original raspberry

Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:43 pm

We are looking in to this. Please make sure you have done a apt full-upgrade to get any very recent bug fixes.

Have you added the correct enabling string to config.txt?

display_auto_detect=1
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

tigernero

Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:04 pm

the string i never added in buster, i will try, regarding the latest updates i don't know. I enabled ssh by entering empty file before first boot. but I haven't given a full-upgrade yet. in case you will receive new compatible bullseye images at the first boot without entering any string? image I repeat comes to the splash and then freezes

jamesh

Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:43 pm

You need that config.txt entry on Bullseye, not Buster (well, specifically when using KMS).

I would recommend getting all software right up to date - there's always a bit of churn as we fix stuff straight after a release.

tigernero

Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:50 pm

then the wording "display_auto_detect = 1" was already active in the config.txt file, I made all the updates with the command "sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade" but the result does not change. after the splash raspberry logo the display goes to freeze, see attachment
Attachments
IMG-20211112-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20211112-WA0000.jpg (161.45 KiB) Viewed 4573 times
IMG-20211112-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20211112-WA0001.jpg (232.93 KiB) Viewed 4573 times

tigernero

Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:55 pm

the problem comes with a pi3A. I should try with a Pi4. I am attaching screen SSH line already active
Attachments
Screenshot_20211112-145420_Termius.png
Screenshot_20211112-145420_Termius.png (237.57 KiB) Viewed 4565 times

tigernero

Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:14 pm

@jamesh

Code: Select all

sudo nano /boot/coonfig.txt

if in config.txt I comment the line:

dtoverlay = vc4-kms-v3d
in

# dtoverlay = vc4-kms-v3d
the display works again and the desktop loads correctly.

what can it be?

jamesh

Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:09 pm

tigernero wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:14 pm
@jamesh

sudo nano /boot/coonfig.txt

if in config.txt I comment the line:

dtoverlay = vc4-kms-v3d
in

# dtoverlay = vc4-kms-v3d
the display works again and the desktop loads correctly.

what can it be?
All that means is that you have disabled the new graphics drivers and gone back to the old ones, which we know work in these circumstances.

Have you read this github issue? https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/4686

tigernero

Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:34 pm

the speech on GitHub is almost similar, the problem lies in the new graphics drives, but I expect the display to work with kms active also put the line "dtparam = i2c_vc_baudrate = 50000" it makes no sense because without the display it works just comment kms. my question is a normal person flashing the OS has to expect an original display to run on a stable version without fiddling right? instead I ask what substantial difference is there between active kms or not? but above all, will you make it work with the new graphics drives?

jamesh

Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:50 am

tigernero wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:34 pm
the speech on GitHub is almost similar, the problem lies in the new graphics drives, but I expect the display to work with kms active also put the line "dtparam = i2c_vc_baudrate = 50000" it makes no sense because without the display it works just comment kms. my question is a normal person flashing the OS has to expect an original display to run on a stable version without fiddling right? instead I ask what substantial difference is there between active kms or not? but above all, will you make it work with the new graphics drives?
Of course. It was tested before release and worked. It seems under some circumstances there are problems, so they will be fixed.

The difference between legacy and KMS is huge. KMS has been under development for over 5 years, it replaces the firmware closed source graphics stack with an entirely open source Linux graphics stack.

tigernero

Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:37 am

I don't have a pi4 available currently, the ones I have are busy with os buster in various configurations, but I would be tempted to test the display with a pi4.

Because currently the display is connected to a pi3A and I would like to understand if the problem occurs only with the pi3A or not.
Attachments
IMG-20211113-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20211113-WA0001.jpg (164.88 KiB) Viewed 4386 times

aBUGSworstnightmare

Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:16 pm

tigernero wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:37 am
I don't have a pi4 available currently, the ones I have are busy with os buster in various configurations, but I would be tempted to test the display with a pi4.

Because currently the display is connected to a pi3A and I would like to understand if the problem occurs only with the pi3A or not.
first you should delete the rotate_lcd command from your config.txt.
Sorry, don't know if this is a valid statement, but as this is a firmware command (communicated via I2C) but now the kernel has control over the module (as KMS is used) this could cause conflicts in the I2C communication.
You can rotate your screen under KMS either by using the parameters on the overlay or via screen configuration utility. But, as rotation is second prio you should not do such atm (until thr DSi display working).

You are powering the display from the Pi3A+. An you use another USB power supply (or a power bank) to power your displays to see if this is a power issue? Make shure to remove the jump wires from the GPIO40 header when doeing this test (no need to disconnect from the display, just leave them).

tigernero

Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:08 pm

The lcd_rotate = 2 command is an option that I entered up to buster to rotate the display since the cover is positioned in such a way that I had to rotate it 180 °

2) I use the original raspberry power supply and use the touch display power supply as well as your indication by making it powered by the gpio pins and it has always worked

3) even eliminating the wording lcd_rotate the problem remains.

Tried to remove the wording lcd_rotate = 2, powered the display with another official power supply and pi3a with its official power supply but the problem REMAINS

what other proof do you want me to do?
Attachments
IMG-20211113-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20211113-WA0006.jpg (240.82 KiB) Viewed 4302 times

jake77

Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:13 pm

I have the same issue using a Pi 2 Model B V1.1: the screen goes gray during boot and never comes back. It affects only the DSI screen.

I did not use this pi, neither the screen for a few years now, and I had a clean Bullseye installed using the pi imager. I updated all libs using apt, so all is vanilla and up to date. I tried to rotate the screen as - as long as it works - it is upside down on my pi, but did not make any other modifications from the software side.

A video of the screen going gray during boot: https://youtu.be/mCAyGL7uqlI.

tigernero

Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:11 pm

try putting

dtparam = i2c_vc_baudrate = 50000
in your config.txt file and restart.

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
let us know if it goes.

KillrBill

Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:49 pm

I have exactly the same issue.

One of the first things I (have to) do when i create a fresh install for the touchscreens is to rotate the screen. Bit of a design flaw there Raspberry, maybe a fix for V1.2 You have to rotate everything not just the desktop but the touch controls also.I used to just put the rotate_lcd=2 in the config file but this doesn't work in Bullseye. yet..(i hope)

Stuck sticking with Buster until it's fixed.

djthorpe

Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:44 am

Hi @tigernero thanks for the info. On a Raspberry Pi 3B I added the following to my /boot/config.txt:

dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
dtparam=i2c_vc_baudrate=50000
This worked for me!

W. H. Heydt

Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:58 am

Just to add a data point...

Pi2Bv1.1 with RPF 7" screen. Fresh Bullseye build. The only thing that got the display to come up was commenting out the KMS driver. VNC worked consistently through all the changes and even had the correct 800x480 geometry, so it appears that the 7" display was being detected all along.

I was only putting Bullseye on it because of an recurrent (post-upgrade) audio problem with Buster, which Bullseye appears to have fixed (so far...cross fingers). The only display things this Pi runs are dclock and a terminal window with metadata from an audio stream, 3D acceleration isn't needed, anyway.

KeithMck

Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:59 pm

I had to replace kms with fkms on Bullseye to get my monitor to work.

kolsi

Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:50 am

The same problem here. Clean Lite image on SD card, Raspberry Pi 3 boots, console log appears and then the screen blacks out.
It is definitely the bug. I don't see any reason why I should modify some settings in the cleanly created SD card :roll:

jamesh

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:09 am

kolsi wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:50 am
The same problem here. Clean Lite image on SD card, Raspberry Pi 3 boots, console log appears and then the screen blacks out.
It is definitely the bug. I don't see any reason why I should modify some settings in the cleanly created SD card :roll:
Please run an update, there have been fixes that are in apt that may help.

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade

kolsi

Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:45 am

My solution is to modify config.txt on SD's boot partition on PC and disable used KMS driver.

The advice to update/upgrade system when Pi does not boot is useless. If the Pi is not connected to internet and user has no possibility to modify SD card content, then he ends up with unusable device. At least, it should be stated on the website that current Raspberry Pi OS is not compatible with Pi3 without further manual modifications.

Dan Stormont

Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:00 pm

I'm having the same issue with a Pi 3 and the 7" display: installed a fresh image of bullseye on the SD card and now I get nothing but white lines after the initial boot. Asking me to modify boot files or update the image is not something you should expect the average user to do! I'll give it a try by editing the boot config to use the older fkms graphics driver using an editor on another machine but that's not realistic for most users. This is supposed to b a computer that you can give to someone just getting started out.

You really need to warn people on the download page that this image is not working with the 7" display!

NoicTheBrave

Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:24 am

In 2022 here!
Funny enough, all i did was (for both "head" and headless), was do

sudo raspi-config
and in there should be something called "Interface Options"

while this was not the most technical method, I enabled pretty much everything:
* VNC
*SPI
*Serial Port
*1-Wire

I got it to work on the Pi 4 w/ 8GB of RAM connected to the 7" display, used the Pi W2 to change those settings, but i believe this could be done on any Pi (set up those settings).

I truly believe that this VNC thing was most likely the culprit tho. Never actually messed with it, so idk :P

Regardless, Hope this helps, if not, Good Luck!

wtfbbq

Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:26 am

Is there a "fix" for this yet?

I'm trying to get this working on a pi 3b v1.2.

I've tried everything on these forums and other forums as well.

Adding the following parameters to the config did not work

dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
dtparam=i2c_vc_baudrate=50000

I also tried them individually and also together to no avail.

Thanks

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”