djallegretto

Raspberry pi project ideas for Blind/visually impaired

Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:21 am

Hi. I am totally blind and I am looking 4 Raspberry Pi project ideas. I thought about putting Android on the Raspberry Pi, but I don’t know how I can accomplish this without the Google TalkBack screen reader working, since From what I’ve heard, the Android builds for Raspberry Pi do not come pre-installed with Google Apps. I looked at the Raspberry Pi project website for some ideas, but a lot of the projects were very visual, which used Scratch3 which doesn’t appear to be accessible with Orca, or by using Python To draw images. The intermediate and advanced Raspberry Pi project ideas Require soldering, which I am not comfortable with, or requiring programming knowledge way beyond my skill level. The default Python IDE does not appear to be accessible with orca either, but I used VS codium instead. I could do projects using the GPIO ports, but I don’t know where they are on a Raspberry Pi 400, and I would need visual assistance to connect Any hardware via the GPIO, because I wouldn’t be able to tell which port out of the 40 pins that I am connecting something to. With that in mind, what project Would you recommend me to try on a Raspberry Pi? If you are blind and slash or visually impaired, what projects have you completed Successfully, end do you have any tutorials slash tips on how I can get that’s particular project accomplished?

Thank you.

Please be aware that I am using dictation software.
Last edited by djallegretto on Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

hippy

Re: Raspberry pi project ideas for Blind/visually impaired

Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:05 am

djallegretto wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:21 am
I would need visual assistance to connect Any hardware via the GPIO, because I wouldn’t be able to tell which port out of the 40 pins that I am connecting something to.
If you are willing to accept some initial visual assistance you may be able to find a hack space, maker club, or someone, who would be willing to build a GPIO break out interface for you which could be more accessible and usable.

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”