skar
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Whole of KS3/4 Computing taught on a Raspberry Pi?

Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:54 am

Has anyone thought or done this: Teaching thew whole of KS3/ KS4 computing on a Raspberry Pi? I have a suite of Pi-Top CEEDs which we use to teach python and now have SQL Lite/ browser on the image. I was wondering if anyone has taught the whole curriculum using the Raspberry Pi? I am thinking of doing this if I can find the right software alternatives and adapt lessons to suit the Pi. I know we can get software like GIMP, blender, Inkscape etc. I will be using the NCCE resources for KS3 before moving on to KS4. Thinking of the cost, it's cheaper to have a suite of Raspberry Pis then Windows desktops and would be utilise the resources we have. Any ideas or help most welcomed.

tepalia02

Re: Whole of KS3/4 Computing taught on a Raspberry Pi?

Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:04 am

Sounds good. But keeping the High price and supply shortage of the latest version of Raspberry pi in mind, do you think you can implement this?

Gavinmc42

Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:00 pm

But keeping the High price and supply shortage of the latest version of Raspberry pi in mind
I had to buy another laptop because the kid's school one is still waiting for parts.
Pi's high price? Spent enough on his laptops to supply Pi's to more than half his class :shock:

Unity will be a problem and you will need to stick with the old 2.79 Blender.
I use Pi400's for my development coding, perfectly suitable for my simple things.
Are Pi-Top CEED Pi4?
The difference between Pi3 and Pi4 is huge, the 4's are much better at those bigger software apps.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

B.Goode

Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:11 pm

skar wrote:
Has anyone thought or done this: Teaching thew whole of KS3/ KS4 computing on a Raspberry Pi? I have a suite of Pi-Top CEEDs which we use to teach python and now have SQL Lite/ browser on the image. I was wondering if anyone has taught the whole curriculum using the Raspberry Pi? I am thinking of doing this if I can find the right software alternatives and adapt lessons to suit the Pi. I know we can get software like GIMP, blender, Inkscape etc. I will be using the NCCE resources for KS3 before moving on to KS4. Thinking of the cost, it's cheaper to have a suite of Raspberry Pis then Windows desktops and would be utilise the resources we have. Any ideas or help most welcomed.

Perhaps it would be helpful to say which Country you teach in? The content of the curriculum might vary from one jurisdiction to another.

To enable non-teachers to help you, can you provide a link to the relevant curriculum?

skar

Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:19 pm

Hi,
I am based in England and we use Pi 3B+ at the moment, you can convert Pi 4s to work on the Pi-Top CEED with some changes to the cables. I think this project may take a while to implement, it really depends how much of my free time I spend converting lessons to be suitable for the Raspberry Pi and any snags I get, when I get to KS4. I think KS3 is doable in a relatively short space of time such as the summer holidays. If a project like this can work, I would think it could save thousands in purchasing new equipment, compare the cost of 30+ Raspberry Pis vs 30 Windows machines.

Gavinmc42

Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:30 am

The Foundation has projects like this one.
https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... snow-scene
It assumed you had a PC running Blender, I think these were made were before Pi3 and Pi4.
Pi4 has no trouble, especially the Pi400 which can be overclocked a bit more.

Not sure how much 30 Pi400 kits plus screens would save.
IT also has to support them and they like their locked down OS's.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

geev03

Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:47 am

skar wrote:
.... Thinking of the cost, it's cheaper to have a suite of Raspberry Pis then Windows desktops and would be utilise the resources we have. Any ideas or help most welcomed.
Raspberry Pi Foundation's stated aim is "to put the power of computing and digital making into the hands of people all over the world"
Any one of the, 40 million , rPi devices can now deploy self contained HTML5 learning resources created with H5P tools, [url] https://h5p.org/node/1209824 [url] that can be consumed from any type of connected devices including Chromebooks, Android / iOS devices or various types of old / new Windows devices .

So to reduce the cost and increase efficiency, consideration may please be given to :
(i) creating a 'HTML 5 learning/teaching resource' for any of the STEM subjects
(ii) delpoying it on a rPI, ( simplest way, busybox httpd)
(iii) consuming that resource from any of the connected devices.

Return to “Teaching and learning resources”