lionel.fusco

Raspberry pi 4 - full fledged (home) server?

Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:05 am

Hello,

I have been using a lower power computer to function as my cloud (nextcloud), apache (webserver), as well as my mail server (dovecot/postfix). It works fine, I was just thinking about trying to lower my energy bill.

I only have about half a dozen users on the cloud and a bit more get email users on the email server, so not massive traffic.

But, when I click on my cloud page, I don't want to wait ages for it to load, or transfer files from it. From what I have read, the Pi 4B has an improved architecture that has a Gigabit ethernet port that doesn't share a bus with the USB channels, so that's a plus. Also four core CPU should be adequate.

Has anyone tried such a setup? I would like to attach an SSD HD for storage.

This should be energy efficient, AND quiet.
Last edited by lionel.fusco on Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jahboater

Re: Raspberry pi 4 - full fledged server?

Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:00 am

lionel.fusco wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:05 am
But, when I click on my cloud page, I don't want to wait ages for it to load, or transfer files from it. From what I have read, the Pi 4B has an improved architecture that has a Gigabit ethernet port that doesn't share a bus with the USB channels, so that's a plus. Also four core CPU should be adequate.
Also the Pi4 has the option of much larger memory - up to 8GB which should help (large disk cache).
The memory is faster too. Disk access is also faster and USB3 is available.

twiggyxlr4

Re: Raspberry pi 4 - full fledged (home) server?

Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:09 am

I am using mine as a server for my personal files, run a few docker containers or programs and as a CCTV to record my front of my house (1 camera only).
I even watch HD videos from time to time on it while running all those and have no issues whatsoever using it 24/7.
As long as you have a good cooling solution you should have no issues. Mine is powered on ever since I first got it 14 months ago. Very pleased with it.

Return to “Networking and servers”