vratimos

Create an App to help someone with DEMENTIA

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:39 pm

I would like to make an app for my mother, who suffers from DΕΜΕΝΤΙΑ. My kids brought me a Christmas present RASPBERRY Pi 4. I was programming when I was a student (!) In 1981 (Newbrain). If there is no ready-made application I think for a start, a screen and motion detector. When my Mother comes in, to welcome her and inform her visually and audibly about the DAY, TIME and DATE. Please let me know about the equipment I need to buy. Thank you for your help.
Chris Vratimos
cvratimos @ gmail dot com

knute

Re: Create an App to help someone with DEMENTIA

Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:49 pm

You will need a monitor for the visual display, speakers (either in the monitor or separate), and a sensor to detect that mother is close by. The SR-HC04 sonar sensors are very easy to use and cheap. You can record in your voice the day, month and time. Play them back and turn on the monitor when mother approaches the sensor.

Sounds like a fun project. I would be happy to contribute some code.

hippy

Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:50 pm

The most effective "has arrived home" detector I crafted was having a magnetic door closed sensor and a pressure mat under the carpet.

Door opened with mat not stood on followed by door closed with mat stood on worked well for me.

Samuelz

Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:13 am

The MindMate app is perhaps the ultimate in dementia apps. It is more than a tool, but is more like a friend. It is always there for the patient. It can help ...

[removed spamlink banned poster kept post as mindmate is a relevant tip]

themagicm

Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:35 pm

If you want to code in something relatively easy that can create apps with a GUI, look at Xojo. I use that to create apps that run under Linux.

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”