asparks91110

Raspberry Pi 400 Space Bar Strange Behaviour

Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:28 pm

Ordered June 21, and used off and on for a month now. The space bar will frequently not output a "space" when pressed, and often prints "<gh", acts as an up arrow, or even closes whatever I'm typing in.

I opened it up and cleaned the ribbon cable with an alcohol wipe which seemed to fix it for a couple days but it's back already. I keep it in a case when not being used so I don't think it's dust or debris, and I've never spilled on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tried this with no longterm luck:
viewtopic.php?t=296171

nishynair

Re: Raspberry Pi 400 Space Bar Strange Behaviour

Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:21 am

Try to remove the spacebar and clean it using this guide: https://support.pishop.us/article/89-pi ... alfunction

Also, apparently some earlier models of the pi 400 had the plastic rivets that attach the keyboard backplate to the plastic keyboard cover broken off, check this post and view the google drive photos they attached: viewtopic.php?t=313386. If this is the case it may make sense why it registers the up arrow key when you press the spacebar.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Raspberry Pi 400 Space Bar Strange Behaviour

Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:50 am

nishynair wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:21 am
Try to remove the spacebar and clean it using this guide: https://support.pishop.us/article/89-pi ... alfunction

Also, apparently some earlier models of the pi 400 had the plastic rivets that attach the keyboard backplate to the plastic keyboard cover broken off, check this post and view the google drive photos they attached: viewtopic.php?t=313386. If this is the case it may make sense why it registers the up arrow key when you press the spacebar.
from linked website
NOTE: The spacebar and shift key mechanisms are MUCH more complex than the other keys. We DO NOT recommend disassembling the spacebar or shift keys.
RPis are covered by warranty, so in case OPs Pi400 fails he/she should contact the seller instead of trying to fix it. 'Opening' the Pi400 and 'wiping the FPC with some alcohol' has voided the warranty for sure.

Return to “Raspberry Pi 400”