Hermanni

Official display only have 796x480 visible pixels

Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:38 am

Hi,

I have Raspberry Pi 4 and Official 7" display setup and I noticed following problem when running sway (wayland dispaly manager): The screen area is 4px columns narrower than it should be and because of that the right borders and content of windows get lost. Everything shows that the display should be 800x480 but in physical unit, it looks like I am missing 4 columns of pixels.

Is this inteded specification of Official 7" screen or is there something wrong in my settings that may create this problem?" You can easily reproduce the problem when you install RaspberryPi OS Lite (64bit) and then install sway from repository: apt install sway. Sway can be started from terminal with command sway. You can notice the missing right border of screen when you open terminal (foot).

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Official display only have 796x480 visible pixels

Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:07 am

Hermanni wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:38 am
Hi,

I have Raspberry Pi 4 and Official 7" display setup and I noticed following problem when running sway (wayland dispaly manager): The screen area is 4px columns narrower than it should be and because of that the right borders and content of windows get lost. Everything shows that the display should be 800x480 but in physical unit, it looks like I am missing 4 columns of pixels.

Is this inteded specification of Official 7" screen or is there something wrong in my settings that may create this problem?" You can easily reproduce the problem when you install RaspberryPi OS Lite (64bit) and then install sway from repository: apt install sway. Sway can be started from terminal with command sway. You can notice the missing right border of screen when you open terminal (foot).
Can you post a picture which allows fo seeing the offset?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:06 am

This rings some bells.
I've pushed a couple of patches to https://github.com/6by9/linux/tree/rpi-5.15.y-tc358762 that tell the bridge chip the resolution, rather than letting it autodetect. Could you try those out?
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:15 am

6by9 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:06 am
This rings some bells.
I've pushed a couple of patches to https://github.com/6by9/linux/tree/rpi-5.15.y-tc358762 that tell the bridge chip the resolution, rather than letting it autodetect. Could you try those out?
maybe OP can (or someone else reading this threat).
I'm out since I don't have an official 7in DSI screen on hands (neither a clone of it).

Hermanni

Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:26 pm

Hi,

Thank you for replies and I did try the custom kernel and it didn't solve the problem. I have now few pictures from sway (Wayland) and i3 (x11) window managers. As you can see from pictures, terminal windows are missing border from right and also in i3 you can see that last digit from a clock is missing half.

You can find pictures in Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Return to “Official Display”