l3ttuce579

OSMC and LibreElec not working

Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:56 am

Greetings.
My Pi 4 4GB had been running libreelec while there wasn’t an available version of OSMC for it. When it came, I decided to uninstall libreelec and install OSMC. However, it didn’t work. I get the rainbow screen, followed by the ‘formatting device’ progress bar and then ‘installing files’ one. After these two however, the device reboots, gives the M logo and then just goes black. If I hard reset it just does the same thing. When I tried libreelec again, both directly and with NOOBS, it didn’t work either. Is this an OSMC/LibreElec issue or Pi? It worked fine before. Please help, thanks.

(first time on the forum my apologies for anything missed out)

DarkElvenAngel

Re: OSMC and LibreElec not working

Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:51 pm

Have you tried a different SD card? What model of pi are you using?

NOOB is obsolete everyone will suggest using PINN in it's place.

The other common question is what power supply are you using and do you have anything else hooked up to you Pi? Fans, USB drive, ect..

Give this info and someone will be able to help you better.

l3ttuce579

Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:16 pm

Once I had a mouse and keyboard connected with the same response as without them. I've tried with two different SD cards, one 16 gb and one 32. Power supply is the original, 5V 2A, and model is Pi 4 4gb as stated. I just tried with raspberry pi os, it gave a screen saying 'resizing root filesystem, restarting in 5 seconds' before shutting down and not restarting.
with OSMC before the M logo appeared it said
waiting for root filesystem device
recovering journal
{something that disappears too quickly for me to read}
I'm sorry I forgot to include this before

DarkElvenAngel

Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:57 pm

So you can boot a clean image however once the resize is complete and the system reboots then it won't boot anymore?

How old are you SD cards and what brand? I've seen this type of behaviour in older cards. When you say original power supply is that an official RPI supply or something like a Canakit supply?

What do you use to flash your cards? Honestly not sure why you are able to boot once then not again unless the SD cards are bad but two bad cards seems unlikely unless they're old or not a good brand.

I would hope someone else could chime in an offer something new.

l3ttuce579

Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:47 am

With raspberry pi os, that is the case, but with osmc it'll finish the installation of files, give that screen with the text I mentioned, the M logo loading screen and then it'll crash. If I remove the power cable and plug it back in, it'll give that screen and M logo before crashing again. Libreelec does something similar.

The SD cards are quite old, the 32 GB one is 7 years old and the 16 GB one is 6 years old. Both are from Sandisk. I just checked, the power supply is actually a deltaco one, so not an official RPi one.

I flash the cards with my laptop which has an SD card reader, with a Sandisk microSD to full size SD adapter.

Thank you for your reply.

Note: these SD cards were each in use before trying to get them to work, the 16 GB one was working in both an old Pi 2 and the Pi 4 before I tried to make it work with the new version of OSMC. The 32 GB one has been in a phone ever since we got and seemed to work fine.

DarkElvenAngel

Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:48 am

My first suggestion would be to get a new SD card at that age they might not be happy in a Pi. Mostly they are easy enough to come by and not too expensive.

Have you still got the older Pi? I would try the Raspberry Pi OS on the SD card in that one, if you see the same behaviour you know that the SD card is to blame.

l3ttuce579

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:23 pm

Hi, so I found the old Pi 2 and it already had an SD card in which was running the 2018 version of OSMC fine. I then took the 32 GB card previously in the Pi 4 and flashed OSMC for Pi 2 on it and put it in the old Pi. Instead of crashing after the M logo screen, OSMC loaded up as expected. So I guess, it wasn't an SD card issue? Is it a compatibility issue with the new Pi or perhaps a BIOS thing? This has left me confused and I hope you can still help me out.

DarkElvenAngel

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:24 pm

I can't say for OSMC but there is a version of LibreElec for the Pi 4. That's what I use just make sure the image you've got is for a Pi 4 since there are some changes between the 2 and the 4 that may make a difference depending on what version of the 2 you have.

The only other thing to check, that could be the issue would be that power supply. There are always posts and something not working properly and the power supply is to blame. But I would check you for sure have the Pi 4 version of your image and if it still not working it could be a power issue. I say that because the pi can boot at least into the OS so I doubt the pi itself is the issue.

If you flash Raspberry Pi OS to one card and boot that in the pi 2 and then move that card to the pi 4 it should boot then you can check if you have any low voltage warnings.

l3ttuce579

Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:09 pm

As I said I used to use LibreElec before the Pi 4 version of OSMC came out. After I formatted the card with LibreElec on it nothing has worked, including LibreElec itself. Raspberry Pi OS didn't work on the Pi 4 so I don't think its worth a shot anyways. I understand that the power supply might be an issue as it is 5V 2.1A whereas recommended is 3A of current but I don't have any USB peripherals connected to it and it always worked. It would boot up after a power cycle without hassle too.

l3ttuce579

Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:10 am

It worked! So I was experimenting with USB boot and other different things that weren't making any difference when I decided to finally try my phone charger which delivers 5V 3A standard and it worked! Everything functioned as normal now. I'm surprised because it was working with the 2A charger before but then only works with 3A now which is weird. But anyways, thank you for your help, I couldn't imagine it was something as simple as the power supply.

DarkElvenAngel

Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:44 pm

l3ttuce579 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:10 am
It worked! So I was experimenting with USB boot and other different things that weren't making any difference when I decided to finally try my phone charger which delivers 5V 3A standard and it worked! Everything functioned as normal now. I'm surprised because it was working with the 2A charger before but then only works with 3A now which is weird. But anyways, thank you for your help, I couldn't imagine it was something as simple as the power supply.
Hey glad you sorted it out! Power supplies get old then they can't provide the current they once did this is more true when running near there maximum.

I suggest when you can get yourself an official power supply or equivalent most phone chargers are not good power supplies they work for a while but they aren't meant to power something continuously. A typical phone will charge in a few hours or less these days a Pi can run for days, weeks ect

Good luck with your Pi and OSMC does that work for you now by the way?

l3ttuce579

Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:47 am

Yeah so for now we're just going to shut down the Pi when we aren't using it I hope that's fine?
OSMC was working and then it started doing the same thing again. Now I've installed LibreElec again and its working fine. Let's hope it stays that way.

DarkElvenAngel

Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:46 pm

l3ttuce579 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:47 am
Yeah so for now we're just going to shut down the Pi when we aren't using it I hope that's fine?
OSMC was working and then it started doing the same thing again. Now I've installed LibreElec again and its working fine. Let's hope it stays that way.
I've had better luck and performance with LibreElec I've got it installed on Pi3B+ with the official touchscreen for long car rides and when I need it I have an SD card for my Pi 4 I can swap in when we want to watch movies at the end of the long car ride. Let's hope yours keeps going strong!

Return to “Media centres”