davethomaspilot

Restore WiFi by editing file on SD Card?

Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:42 pm

I have a headless setup. The wireless radio is configured to be BOTH a wifi hotspot and to connect to a wifi router.

The RPI is embedded in an enclosure so that its HDMI port is not accessible. Furthermore, an application auto-starts on boot which disables ethernet (to save battery power).

I made the mistake of using the GUI to disable Wifi, thinking it would disable connecting to a router but that the hotspot (hostapd) would still be available for connection.

Is there a file that I can edit to "undo" what I did by disabling Wifi? Is it accessible if the SD card is put in a USB adapter for editing on a Windows machine? Or, a VM running Ubuntu?

Or, (thinking outside the box), is there something I can do (editing the SD card) to prevent the application from running after boot? If the app doesn't run, maybe I can to ethernet connect.

I can disassemble the enclosure, and plug a monitor into the HDMI port, a keyboard/mouse in a USB port, and get it done that way. But, I can see other users doing this and I either need a simple recovery scheme, or prevent the wifi from being disabled from the desktop.

davethomaspilot

Re: Restore WiFi by editing file on SD Card?

Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:28 pm

Actually, the app also disables HDMI. So I can't plug in a display to enable WiFi.

I used a USB adapter for the SD card and plugged it into another RPI running Buster. The RPI auto-mounted the SD, file manager came up, and I was able to edit the start-up script to prevent ethernet and HDMI being disable.

Then, I plugged in a display and mouse and clicked to enable WiFi.

I'd still like to know where the state for WiFi enabled/disabled is stored.

rpdom

Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:50 pm

Check in /var/lib/systemd/rfkill. There should be a file with a name ending in ":wlan". If that file contains a "1" it disables that interface. If it has a "0", then the interface is enabled.
Unreadable squiggle

epoch1970

Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:03 pm

Or add “rfkill unblock wifi” in /etc/rc.local?
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

klricks

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:22 am

epoch1970 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:03 pm
Or add “rfkill unblock wifi” in /etc/rc.local?
Not needed as the rfkill settings are persistent.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPi OS Bullseye w/ Desktop OS.

epoch1970

Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:33 am

I meant as a one-time measure. Add the line, boot, login, remove the line, reboot.
davethomaspilot wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:42 pm
I made the mistake of using the GUI to disable Wifi, thinking it would disable connecting to a router but that the hotspot (hostapd) would still be available for connection.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

rpdom

Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:36 am

epoch1970 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:33 am
I meant as a one-time measure. Add the line, boot, login, remove the line, reboot.
That's two edits and two reboots, while my option is just one of each.
Unreadable squiggle

epoch1970

Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:40 am

Ok you win.

Return to “Advanced users”