butteryak

Wrong current location?

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:39 pm

Hey all,

Wondering, can't seem to fix this for the life of me. Been using my AIY for quite some time now, and recently moved, for some reason it seems stuck at my own location, even though I have changed things in google home for this device. updated home address, etc. it seems to know what my home address is, but my "current" location, it still thinks Im back at my old address, in fact, when asked to get directions, to home (just as a test) it gives me directions from my old address to my new home.

anyway, not sure how to go about making sure it actually knows where it is. I'm missing something I guess....

thanks ya'll++

rooppoorali

Re: Wrong current location?

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:12 am

Looks like somebody faced the same problem earlier: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... -first-fix

DougieLawson

Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:52 pm

butteryak wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:39 pm
anyway, not sure how to go about making sure it actually knows where it is. I'm missing something I guess....
Change it at https://myaccount.google.com/yourdata/maps
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on https://twitter.com/DougieLawson or LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

butteryak

Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:37 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:52 pm

Change it at https://myaccount.google.com/yourdata/maps
yeah, that is already set correctly, as I mentioned, It knows my home address, it would seem that it has no idea what my "current" location is. apparently it differentiates between home and "current location" but for some reason is not updating the current location to where I'm actually at.

butteryak

Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:39 pm

rooppoorali wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:12 am
Looks like somebody faced the same problem earlier: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... -first-fix

Hmmm, not sure how this applies, not using GPSD

pidd

Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:40 pm

If this is accessed through browser, has the browser got a a default location set and/or location blocked or spoofed?

butteryak

Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:03 pm

pidd wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:40 pm
If this is accessed through browser, has the browser got a a default location set and/or location blocked or spoofed?

No nothing is accessed through a browser. even if it was, I didn't think the Pi had the ability to know my current location, without a GPS module. it's interesting, because my google assistant knows where I am, if anything I would think the AIY kit would get it's info from my location info via google. the AIY kit is linked to my google home which is also linked to my google assistant. every device i have knows my current location execpt the AIY kit. Since the AIY kit is not technically a mobile device, but a stationary thing, I would assume it would just use my "home" address set in my google home for that device. but it's using an old address as my current location. odd, can't seem to get it to update that info. looking everywhere for something I may have missed....

trejan

Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:15 pm

butteryak wrote:
it's interesting, because my google assistant knows where I am
You can do rough geolocation via IP address.
butteryak wrote:
but it's using an old address as my current location. odd, can't seem to get it to update that info. looking everywhere for something I may have missed....
The AIY assistant uses the Python Assistant SDK which was deprecated by Google a year ago. It has been incomplete and semi-broken for a long time before that though.

You can try removing it from your Google account and readding it. It may make it worse so YMMV.

butteryak

Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:11 pm

trejan wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:15 pm
You can try removing it from your Google account and readding it. It may make it worse so YMMV.

yeah, considered this, although with all the changes on google's end and depreciated packages since I set this thing up, concerned it may not add back in, quite honestly can't remember how I added it to google home in the first place, haha. if it was auto detected or what, can't seem to locate any info about that, I mean typically one adds items via bluetooth or the devices wifi itself, but yeah, can't recall how they were added, would wanna be sure I could add them back before removing them :-/ "

butteryak

Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:22 pm

Figured it out.

There was a setting in google assistant to set address, that was not showing on my phone, but it was showing on my tablet. crazy though, exact same app, same release, but for some reason it shows on my tablet in the exact same menu/app location, but not the phone.

weird.

google. ugh.

Return to “AIY Projects”