StefanHeuvink

Need help setting up steam

Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:39 pm

I've been looking everywhere on the web without anything that works.
The only time it kinda worked was when using the base 32 bit raspberry pi os, but I couldn't use the browser based features so I was unable to set the properties for the game I wanted to play (my singing monsters) which should work right? It requires OpenGL 2.0, dual core CPU and 2gb ram.

I have followed many tutorials and tried a lot of things but there is always one of the following problems:
Libappindicator1 could not be found (it is not in debian bullseye)
Fatal error: failed to load steamui.so (which I also get when ignoring the above problem)

Also, why do I get no errors using the 32 bit os but the 64 bit gives me tons of errors?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I am really new to this forum so I am unsure if this is the right place to put this.

HawaiianPi

Re: Need help setting up steam

Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:10 pm

Are you trying to setup Steam Link (for streaming games from another machine) or to play Steam games directly on the Pi?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups, and where is that annoying music coming from?

StefanHeuvink

Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:25 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:10 pm
Are you trying to setup Steam Link (for streaming games from another machine) or to play Steam games directly on the Pi?
I am trying to play games directly on the pi, I know most games are not compatible with arm CPU's but I'd still like to try some games.

thagrol

Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:14 pm

StefanHeuvink wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:39 pm
I wanted to play (my singing monsters) which should work right? It requires OpenGL 2.0, dual core CPU and 2gb ram.
It's not that simple. And whoever wrote the system requirements for that game is partly to blame for your perception of them as they're somewhat vague:
MINIMUM:
Processor: Dual Core Processor
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: OpenGL 2.0 Compatible
Storage: 2 GB available space
Source: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1419 ... _Monsters/

The key take away from those is "Windows 8". That means you need Windows running which means either an x86 CPU (not the ARM CPU found in Pi) or emulation of an x86 CPU.

To get that running on Pi (and it will probably be very slow) you need to get steam running which means you need to get Windows running, which means you need an x86 emulator running.

If you're happy with the unclear legal situation you could try running windows 10 or 11 via the WoR project (ask google) but even then there is no guarantee that steam and that game will run or that the game will be playable. I have no experience of WoR so please don't ask me for help.

A second hand PC from the Windows 8 era is almost certainly a better bet than trying to run this stuff on a Pi.

[edit]
Or, maybe, WINE and the game running on top of an x86 emulation layer. I'm almost certain folks have done that already with varying success.[/edit]
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

HawaiianPi

Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:47 am

thagrol wrote:
Or, maybe, WINE and the game running on top of an x86 emulation layer.
WINE itself is x86, so you'd need something like Box86 running Linux and WINE, then Steam, then the game, which would almost certainly be unplayable (although I've not tried it myself, so I can't say for certain).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups, and where is that annoying music coming from?

StefanHeuvink

Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:09 am

Thanks a bunch, I'm going to try it using box86 and WINE.

The game is also available for android, is it possible to run android with the google playstore on a pi?

thagrol

Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:21 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:47 am
thagrol wrote:
Or, maybe, WINE and the game running on top of an x86 emulation layer.
WINE itself is x86, so you'd need something like Box86 running Linux and WINE, then Steam, then the game, which would almost certainly be unplayable (although I've not tried it myself, so I can't say for certain).
Yeah, that was what I meant. Emulation layer + WINE + Steam + game. Could have expressed that better.

Though there is an ARM port of WINE (it's in the repo) but I've no idea if it can be used with x86 code running under emulation.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

RasPiGaming

Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:12 pm

StefanHeuvink wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:09 am
Thanks a bunch, I'm going to try it using box86 and WINE.

The game is also available for android, is it possible to run android with the google playstore on a pi?
Install Box86 in RPiOS 32 (works in 64-bit OS but a lot harder to set up Steam in), install Steam, enable Proton for all games (usually under Settings -> Steam Play), and configure Proton to use WINED3D (https://github.com/ValveSoftware/proton ... ig-options). Finally, set Steam's view to "Small Mode". Then, hopefully, the game should run.

You can play Android games if you install Android to the Pi: viewtopic.php?t=323020
An RPi can be a gaming PC. As long as you have the right packages and software anyway.
Using a RPi4 8GB with Ubuntu Desktop 21.04, main interests are gaming and programming. Also occasionally uses two RPi3B+ and a RPi3B.

Return to “Gaming”