sforza

Is Wake on LAN posible?

Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:38 pm

Hi all,

Planning to install Raspberry x86 on an old celeron laptop and use it as media files server. Since it would likely be unused 20h a day, wondering if I can leave it in suspended mode to save electricity.

Aim is to have it wake up again automatically whenever samba request is received, or any other service/app through the network.

I do know my regular arm raspberry and its os do not feature any power management (not really required). Wondering how this has been handled when ported to x86. In windows suspending works fine, so hardware is capable of handling WOL.

Thanks a lot in advance!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Is Wake on LAN posible?

Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:11 pm

firstly Raspberry Pi's do have the hardware to detect a wake-on-lan magic packed, but to act on the reception the OS must be running. so no wakening on reception of a specific package is NOT possible. No PI has a specific low power mode. so there is no software support in raspbian for it.
but actually I think you already knew this.
For a laptop the situation might be different, as this is just normal Debian just with a special desktop.

thagrol

Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:17 pm

sforza wrote:
Wondering how this has been handled when ported to x86.
It's the other way around. RPiOS was ported from x86 to ARM.

The desktop image is Debian with the RPi tweakes added on top so if Debian supports suspend and WoL on your hardware you should be good to go.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

rpdom

Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:26 pm

The Wake On LAN I've seen on PCs is a feature of the BIOS (or equivalent). It doesn't matter which OS is installed as long as it shuts down/suspends to the right power level and supports resume.
Unreadable squiggle

thagrol

Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:30 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:26 pm
The Wake On LAN I've seen on PCs is a feature of the BIOS (or equivalent). It doesn't matter which OS is installed as long as it shuts down/suspends to the right power level and supports resume.
Not sure if that's still the case. Last time I tried it in windows 10 it had to be enabled in the BIOS, in windows, and even then only worked from sleep not from soft off. At least in windows the OS had to leave the network adapter in a specific state which it would only do under certain circumstances. IIRC this was a deliberate decision by MS.

Not sure about PCs running Linux though - I've not tried it.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

sforza

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:45 am

thagrol wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:17 pm
sforza wrote:
Wondering how this has been handled when ported to x86.
It's the other way around. RPiOS was ported from x86 to ARM.

The desktop image is Debian with the RPi tweakes added on top so if Debian supports suspend and WoL on your hardware you should be good to go.
I did not think about it that way. It's like "back to the origins".

I guess it should work then:

https://wiki.debian.org/WakeOnLan I will consider trying.

Thanks to everyone responding in this thread!

Return to “Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC and Mac”