MarcNBarrett
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:05 pm

The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:27 pm

IMO, the worst feature of the Raspberry Pi 4: the use of two micro-HDMI connectors instead of a single full-size connector. I think this was a dumb, dumb, dumb decision. How many people use two monitors with a Raspberry Pi? I venture that it is probably very few. Probably more people use a RPi headless than use two monitors, so a single connector would have been plenty. I hate it. I have a million HDMI cables, but only one with a micro-HDMI connector, and I am always losing it in my cable clutter. It doesn't help that a micro-HDMI connector looks almost exactly like an old-style micro-USB connector. Micro-HDMI connectors are also less durable than full-sized connectors; I actually broke one on my RPi 4, so I have only one connector now anyway.

I hate this feature so much that I am looking into RPi competitors that have a full-sized HDMI connector. Anyone have any suggestions?

cleverca22
Posts: 6617
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:34 pm

https://www.argon40.com/en-ca/products/ ... berry-pi-4

this case gives you 2 full size hdmi ports on a pi4, problem solved

memjr
Posts: 2164
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:59 pm

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:51 pm

MarcNBarrett wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:27 pm
How many people use two monitors with a Raspberry Pi?
I do.
MarcNBarrett wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:27 pm
I have a million HDMI cables, but only one with a micro-HDMI connector, and I am always losing it in my cable clutter.
That's not a Pi problem, it is you. Keep your cables organized with plastic storage boxes or even zip lock bags.
MarcNBarrett wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:27 pm
It doesn't help that a micro-HDMI connector looks almost exactly like an old-style micro-USB connector.
Never been a problem for me. Get glasses? Again, not a Pi problem, but a user problem.
MarcNBarrett wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:27 pm
Micro-HDMI connectors are also less durable than full-sized connectors; I actually broke one on my RPi 4, so I have only one connector now anyway.
Again, not a Pi problem, but yours. Be more careful. Also if you're using the Pi with more than 1 monitor, it is very unlikely that you'll be taking those cables off and back all the time, so not a problem really.
MarcNBarrett wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:27 pm
I hate this feature so much that I am looking into RPi competitors that have a full-sized HDMI connector. Anyone have any suggestions?
Very cheap https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 6360B6w7cv

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 6845
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:25 am

About 40% or some other large number of Pi's go into digital signage.
Two outputs, two displays, one Pi.

I use my Pi400's as code development platforms, two monitors is great.
Collected enough official MicroHDMi cables and adapters to have unused ones.
The official cable is very good value.

I do agree they do seem fragile, I personally haven't broken one yet.
But I have tried to fix a full size HDMI on a Jetson.
Lots of clumsy, strong people around.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 16040
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:13 am

I would suggest that it isn't "the Pi 4's worst feature" so much as it is the Pi 4 feature that you (specifically) least like/most dislike. Personally, while I have experimented with 2 monitors, it isn't a regular thing for me, but dual-monitor is certainly an intriguing feature and one I can see uses for. I don't find the micro-HDMI connector to be any more of a problem than the mini-HDMI on the Pi0 boards or--for that matter--the mini-HDMI connector on my portable monitor. (And because of the portable monitor, I have a couple micro-HDMI to mini-HDMI cables which are much rarer than micro- to standard HDMI.)

RedMarsBlueMoon
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:49 am

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:49 am

I'm using two monitors currently.
One standard one and then also a VR headset as second monitor.
Granted that's uncommon but its useful to me.

Also I have a mini Arcade build where I'm thinking of making the second HDMI easliy accessible so we can connect a larger TV to play on sometimes, ontop of the first small screen built into the arcade cabinet.

pidd
Posts: 3956
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 8:29 pm
Location: Wirral, UK

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:49 am

My worst physical irritation is having commonly used connections on two sides, it would be more convenient to have power, ethernet, one hdmi, audio and USBs on one side then the extra hdmi anywhere. As it stands it is a three sided board if you include the SD card socket which is also common usage.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 31536
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:57 am

Nah, that's not its worst feature.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

drmullins
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:22 pm
Location: Lambeth, London, UK

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:40 am

I inadvertently damaged one of the micro hdmi sockets when I lifted up the Pi to change the sd card with the micro HDMI to HDMI cable still connected. The socket is just slightly loose on the board and does not work properly. I may yet be able to use this Pi as a headless server. I have now bought the thinnest and most flexible micro HDMI to HDMI cable I could find. I am also going make sure that I insert and remove the cable as infrequently as possible.

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 5673
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:55 am

drmullins wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:40 am
I inadvertently damaged one of the micro hdmi sockets when I lifted up the Pi to change the sd card with the micro HDMI to HDMI cable still connected. The socket is just slightly loose on the board and does not work properly. I may yet be able to use this Pi as a headless server. I have now bought the thinnest and most flexible micro HDMI to HDMI cable I could find. I am also going make sure that I insert and remove the cable as infrequently as possible.
If you've damaged one of them, simply use the other! HDMI1 can do 4k@30Hz still.

NOTE: make sure to ALWAYS remove the uSD when trying to remove a Pi4 from it's official case!

@OP: I'm using my Pi4/CM4 with three displays frequently!

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 5673
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:04 am

pidd wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:49 am
My worst physical irritation is having commonly used connections on two sides, it would be more convenient to have power, ethernet, one hdmi, audio and USBs on one side then the extra hdmi anywhere. As it stands it is a three sided board if you include the SD card socket which is also common usage.
Wow .. turn out to a wishlist!

@pidd: https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/co ... -io-board/ has all you've dreamed off! Making wishes become true is sooo easy these days ...

User avatar
MikeDB
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:27 am

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:10 am

It's worst feature by far is it's so popular you cannot buy them for love nor money (well not at under twice list price anyway)
Always interested in innovative audio startups needing help and investment. Look for InPoSe Ltd or Future Horizons on LinkedIn to find me (same avatar photograph)

drmullins
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:22 pm
Location: Lambeth, London, UK

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:24 am

Unfortunately the second micro HDMI socket does not work either even though it does not look damaged.

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 5673
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:31 am

drmullins wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:24 am
Unfortunately the second micro HDMI socket does not work either even though it does not look damaged.
Well, then your options are:
- use it headless
- use it with a DSI display
- use it with a DPI display
- use it with DSI + DPI

Take a choice ...

btw .. excessive force is able to damage everything, not only microHDMI connectors.

pidd
Posts: 3956
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 8:29 pm
Location: Wirral, UK

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:34 am

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:04 am
pidd wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:49 am
My worst physical irritation is having commonly used connections on two sides, it would be more convenient to have power, ethernet, one hdmi, audio and USBs on one side then the extra hdmi anywhere. As it stands it is a three sided board if you include the SD card socket which is also common usage.
Wow .. turn out to a wishlist!

@pidd: https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/co ... -io-board/ has all you've dreamed off! Making wishes become true is sooo easy these days ...
I've been tempted but then my wallet puts the blocks on it, the Raspberry Pi4's are reasonable value with little reputable competition in their performance bracket, the CM4's plus interface board's price band has a lot more competition in their price bracket.

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 5673
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:37 am

MarcNBarrett wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:27 pm
IMO, the worst feature of the Raspberry Pi 4: the use of two micro-HDMI connectors instead of a single full-size connector. I think this was a dumb, dumb, dumb decision. How many people use two monitors with a Raspberry Pi? I venture that it is probably very few. Probably more people use a RPi headless than use two monitors, so a single connector would have been plenty. I hate it. I have a million HDMI cables, but only one with a micro-HDMI connector, and I am always losing it in my cable clutter. It doesn't help that a micro-HDMI connector looks almost exactly like an old-style micro-USB connector. Micro-HDMI connectors are also less durable than full-sized connectors; I actually broke one on my RPi 4, so I have only one connector now anyway.

I hate this feature so much that I am looking into RPi competitors that have a full-sized HDMI connector. Anyone have any suggestions?
ahh ... so sorry man! Some options for you
- https://www.waveshare.com/product/raspb ... acce-a.htm
- https://www.waveshare.com/product/raspb ... dapter.htm

Oh sorry! Might not be an option as it's not a competitor and would force you to keep using RPi stuff

User avatar
MikeDB
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:27 am

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:31 pm

Or simply use a Pi3 of course
Always interested in innovative audio startups needing help and investment. Look for InPoSe Ltd or Future Horizons on LinkedIn to find me (same avatar photograph)

User avatar
mooblie
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:07 pm
Location: The Scottish Highlands

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:48 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:57 am
Nah, that's not its worst feature.
OK, James, I'll bite. What IS its worst feature IYHO !?

memjr
Posts: 2164
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:59 pm

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:55 pm

pidd wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:49 am
My worst physical irritation is having commonly used connections on two sides, it would be more convenient to have power, ethernet, one hdmi, audio and USBs on one side then the extra hdmi anywhere. As it stands it is a three sided board if you include the SD card socket which is also common usage.
Now that you mention this, I do agree. This would be a heavenly setup:
Screenshot 2022-08-16 105403.jpg
Screenshot 2022-08-16 105403.jpg (18.87 KiB) Viewed 852 times
This shows ports the Pi does not have, but you get the point :)


Edit: I posted the pic just to demonstrate how nice it would be to have all ports in tone side like PCs have on the back side as in that picture. I'm fine with just HDMI ports as it is now, and have no need myself for other types of video ports in addition to those.
Last edited by memjr on Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dp11
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 950
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:46 pm

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:15 pm

you want 4 video outputs !!!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 31536
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:21 pm

mooblie wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:48 pm
jamesh wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:57 am
Nah, that's not its worst feature.
OK, James, I'll bite. What IS its worst feature IYHO !?
That would be telling!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

ejolson
Posts: 9994
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:42 pm

memjr wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:55 pm
pidd wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:49 am
My worst physical irritation is having commonly used connections on two sides, it would be more convenient to have power, ethernet, one hdmi, audio and USBs on one side then the extra hdmi anywhere. As it stands it is a three sided board if you include the SD card socket which is also common usage.
Now that you mention this, I do agree. This would be a heavenly setup:
Screenshot 2022-08-16 105403.jpg
Screenshot 2022-08-16 105403.jpg (18.87 KiB) Viewed 771 times
This shows ports the Pi does not have, but you get the point :)
That configuration of ports has no power input. It's probably on the top of the board.

It's also worth mentioning that having one of each kind of video connector--though perhaps convenient when plugging scavenged parts together in a home setup--may not be as useful as two identical micro HDMI ports when deploying new multiple-monitor configurations and signage. In particular, imagine having to use a different type of video cable for each monitor in a signage application.

For some setups swapping the location of one of the micro HDMI ports of the Raspberry Pi 4B with the two USB2 ports on the side would make for more convenient usage options. For others maybe not.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 31536
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:58 pm

memjr wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:55 pm
pidd wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:49 am
My worst physical irritation is having commonly used connections on two sides, it would be more convenient to have power, ethernet, one hdmi, audio and USBs on one side then the extra hdmi anywhere. As it stands it is a three sided board if you include the SD card socket which is also common usage.
Now that you mention this, I do agree. This would be a heavenly setup:

Screenshot 2022-08-16 105403.jpg

This shows ports the Pi does not have, but you get the point :)
About $5 worth of connectors there. Most of which are never used. That's a lot of wasted money and materials!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

memjr
Posts: 2164
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:59 pm

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:03 pm

dp11 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:15 pm
you want 4 video outputs !!!
The more the merrier, right?!!!

But no, that's not what I was trying to say.

I was referring to having all the ports on one side like PCs have in the back and pasted a pic to show it.

As where we have 2 columns of USB ports and one ethernet on the side, that pic shows USB ports with an ethernet on top. I'm not advocating for that, but goes to show that stacking them up like that could make space available to one side or another when trying to move them all to one side (if that were to ever be attempted).

memjr
Posts: 2164
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:59 pm

Re: The Raspbery Pi 4's Worst Feature

Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:11 pm

ejolson wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:42 pm
memjr wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:55 pm
pidd wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:49 am
My worst physical irritation is having commonly used connections on two sides, it would be more convenient to have power, ethernet, one hdmi, audio and USBs on one side then the extra hdmi anywhere. As it stands it is a three sided board if you include the SD card socket which is also common usage.
Now that you mention this, I do agree. This would be a heavenly setup:

Screenshot 2022-08-16 105403.jpg

This shows ports the Pi does not have, but you get the point :)
That configuration of ports has no power input. It's probably on the top of the board.

It's also worth mentioning that having one of each kind of video connector--though perhaps convenient when plugging scavenged parts together in a home setup--may not be as useful as two identical micro HDMI ports when deploying new multiple-monitor configurations and signage. In particular, imagine having to use a different type of video cable for each monitor in a signage application.

For some setups swapping the location of one of the micro HDMI ports of the Raspberry Pi 4B with the two USB2 ports on the side would make for more convenient usage options. For others maybe not.
I posted the pic just to demonstrate how nice and tidy everything could fit on just one side as it is on the back side of a PC today. I myself do not need more types of video ports, HDMI is just fine for my uses. I edited my original post to reflect that.

Return to “General discussion”