jbeale

simple physics experiments with pico

Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:10 pm

In case of interest, here's a 2-minute overview of a simple, open-ended physics experiment which was part of an online class I was planning to do. I shelved that plan, but meanwhile the video may be of interest, or give people some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xls6aK81NFc
PendulumVid1.jpg
Pendulum Experiment Video
PendulumVid1.jpg (66.06 KiB) Viewed 213 times
-john
Last edited by jbeale on Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

neilgl

Re: simple physics experiments with pico

Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:21 pm

Good one thanks.

jbeale

Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:33 pm

Thanks for having a look. My goal was to do something really simple that a lot of people could immediately understand, but also demonstrate how any physical experiment is really measuring a lot of different things, only some of which you may have intended or initially accounted for.

With that setup it's pretty easy to play around with things and find not only what different things affect the results, but also exactly how much they do. Because it's a pure timing experiment, the results can be very precise, so the variations you see even down to a few PPM are all associated with the mechanical parts, and the analog part of the opto-sensor eg. any variation in the ambient light. The basic experiment can be extended and refined in a lot of different directions.

jbeale

Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:15 pm

If that one was interesting, here's the intro to the first example in that series, using a similar setup with the Pico to measure a ball rolling back and forth along a track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er2Vd2JBarc
Ball-Rolling.jpg
Ball-Rolling.jpg (52.19 KiB) Viewed 155 times

Return to “General”