bizzehdee

Native SDK, Circuit Python or Arduino for Pico?

Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:53 pm

I have been working on a few personal projects with a few different Pico's, and ive tried both the native sdk with C/C++ and the arduino platform (via platformio).

I have found that a lot of the arduino libraries have not yet been updated to properly support the pico.

I have been taking the time to create patches for the arduino libraries, but patches are currently being ignored. I have also taken to writing my own libraries for certain thing (like bmp280, ili934x, mpu6050).

With that, it has made me think, what does everybody use? Do people actually use the native pico-sdk? Or do people use the arduino platform? or Circuit Python?
Native Pico Libraries: https://github.com/bizzehdee/pico-libs (bmp280, mpu6050, ili9341/ili9340 display driver, i2c abstraction, fonts, and more)

memjr

Re: Native SDK, Circuit Python or Arduino for Pico?

Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:22 am

Pico sdk/micropython for me.

Edit: I know this is not what you're asking, but for Arduino, Platformio is the way to go for me.
Last edited by memjr on Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ejolson

Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:17 am

bizzehdee wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:53 pm
I have been working on a few personal projects with a few different Pico's, and ive tried both the native sdk with C/C++ and the arduino platform (via platformio).
Curiously, PlatformIO is based in Ukraine.

https://community.platformio.org/t/plat ... r/26330/10

While the infrastructure is distributed globally and decentralised, it's possible the war has disrupted things. If you're able to make patches and progress, I'd consider sticking with it.

I've been using the Pico SDK created by Raspberry Pi. Though I don't like cmake, it works reasonably well for me.

neilgl

Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:59 am

Pico sdk/micropython for me.
But also tried Arduino IDE on pi4 (and Win10) to have massive fun trying to get the IDE to select a Port!

Return to “General programming discussion”