curiousgaruda

What package to install to get comprehensive System Settings?

Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:15 am

Unfortunately, Raspberry Pi Desktop does not offer much by way of system settings. Since it is Debian based, wondering if I can install system wide configuration utilities like Settings or Control Panel? What are some good tools that can be downloaded as a package or from Add / Remove Software tool?
Thank you.

neilgl

Re: What package to install to get comprehensive System Settings?

Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:35 am

Settings and Control panel seem to be Windows things - correct?

curiousgaruda

Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:27 pm

Yes, they are. What I’m looking for is like some sort of settings console that most other distributions have. Raspberry PI doesn’t seem to have a good collection of hardware administrative tools. That’s what I’m trying to install.

B.Goode

Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:23 pm

curiousgaruda wrote:
Yes, they are. What I’m looking for is like some sort of settings console that most other distributions have. Raspberry PI doesn’t seem to have a good collection of hardware administrative tools. That’s what I’m trying to install.

Assume that perhaps the volunteer helpers here don't get out much and aren't aware of the "sort of settings console that most other distributions have." Itemise some of the tools you would wish to have available. Perhaps someone can help you install them.

memjr

Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:22 am

curiousgaruda wrote:
you're going to need to be a lot more specific than that. Linux distros already come loaded with more admin tools than you think might exist.

Take a look at /usr/bin and /usr/system/bin then start googling the names you find in there to see what they all do..

If you need GUI equivalents of those good luck, your choices are endless and many of the available ones suck or are limited, you're not likely to find that perfect tool. This is probably why in Linux admin land we spend a lot of time in the terminal (and once you get used to it you'll wonder how you ever got any sys admin stuff done in windows with a GUI).

Your best bet is to Google specif tools, for example, "debian GUI disk partion" and gparted is one common GUI tool for that. You can also they "Ubuntu GUI disk partition" since ubuntu is based on debian and so is the raspberry pi os.

You're not going to find a Linux version of Control Panel or Administrative Tools.

Perhaps you can Google "debian how can I do XYZ WINDOWS FEATURE" and see what comes up.

Next best thing, and what I actually recommend is to find a lite tutorial on debian admin for beginners. Ubuntu admin will also help, but Ubuntu tends to have a lot of stuff added that is not present by default in other debian based distros.. It'll talk about a lot of basic admin stuff you do in Linux that may or may not have Ana analog in Windows. At least that way you'll have a better understanding of what basic system parts exist in Linux. Like, there are no "services", but there are 3 or 4 different ways I can think of to make something run in Linux that accomplishes the same thing as a windows service does.

Remember this: in Linux EVERYTHING is a file. There is no comm port device. There is a file that lets you read/write to a comm port. The comm port device in Linux is the device attached to your comm port, I.e.a gps dongle.

<command> --help will give you basic command usage and help about the command

man <command> will give you extensive help about the command

Windows default security setting suck, are dangerous, but necessary for non admin people to function. Linux is very tightly tied down. Learn to live with it. Relaxing permissions too much not only will get you into trouble, but can actually break a Linux system without you actually doing anything wrong. The moment you cd / ; sudo chmod -R 777 * you might as well shutdown and reinstall everything from scratch.

Bash is very versatile and very easy to learn, but if you don't use it frequently enough, you'll always feel like it's hard to learn,. It is not hard to learn, it is just very easy to forget. Take the time to work through this https://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/bash/

Aliases are your best bash friends, they make it very easy to do things that would otherwise require multiple commands and looking at help files, etc.

The terminal is not a monster, it truly is the best way to admin in Linux.

Have fun.
Last edited by memjr on Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

kerry_s

Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:33 am

better you just use a os that suits your needs.
have you tried ubuntu?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-09-21 18-33-13.png
Screenshot from 2022-09-21 18-33-13.png (118.21 KiB) Viewed 688 times

neilgl

Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:51 am

Actually, we had forgotten about the excellent webmin. Too many tools to mention
Here it is running on a pi4, looking at an installed Apache2 webserver:
webmin.jpg
webmin.jpg (102.52 KiB) Viewed 601 times

memjr

Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:40 pm

neilgl wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:51 am
Actually, we had forgotten about the excellent webmin. Too many tools to mention
Here it is running on a pi4, looking at an installed Apache2 webserver:
webmin.jpg
HHHssssssss.... < as I make the sign of the cross towards my monitor>

curiousgaruda

Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:36 am

Thank you everyone. I found what I had been searching for.

It is gnome-control-center. It took a while to find the right search term and command.

Return to “Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC and Mac”