jalal1118

I need to access raspberry pi from anywhere

Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:24 pm

Hello all.

my name is Jalal and I'm new to this amazing forum and to the whole raspberry pi adventure.

I don't know if this is possible or not, but what I need is a raspberry pi that my overseas brother can access to browse some of the websites that are only available locally. and, I work in a company that blocks A LOT of regular websites (sports, news, shopping...etc.) so I would like to be able to access the pi from work to be able to browse websites that are blocked.

as I mention, I'm new to this but I can learn fast. I need to know what hardware and software I need to get what I need.

thank you for reading.

regards,
Jalal.

neilgl

Re: I need to access raspberry pi from anywhere

Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:59 pm

For the "overseas" to "local", you would need to set up a VPN on the local pi. He then connects to that VPN on his phone/ipad/PC and can see "local" content.
Last edited by neilgl on Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bls

Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:15 pm

See viewtopic.php?p=2007865#p2007865 that discusses the top 3 VPN servers for the Pi and some pros/cons for each.
Pi tools:
Quickly and easily build customized exactly as-you-want SSDs/SD Cards: https://github.com/gitbls/sdm
Easily run and manage your network's DHCP/DNS servers on a Pi: https://github.com/gitbls/ndm
Easy and secure IPSEC/IKEV2 VPN installer/manager: https://github.com/gitbls/pistrong
Lightweight Virtual VNC Config: https://github.com/gitbls/RPiVNCHowTo

epoch1970

Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:54 pm

If your employer spends time and effort blocking some sites, be sure they don’t expect employees to circumvent their efforts.

Read your company’s guidelines before connecting to your Pi from work.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

jalal1118

Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:58 pm

neilgl wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:59 pm
For the "overseas" to "ocal", you would need to set up a VPN on the local pi. He then connects to that VPN on his phone/ipad/PC and can see "local" content.
thank you for replying,
I was thinking that they can connect to the pi (remote access) and then use the browser (google chrome) to browse local websites. what I'm doing right now is that I have an extra laptop and I gave them access to the TeamViewer then they use google chrome on the laptop. the laptop is plugged in and connected to the internet 24/7 just in case they need it. that's why I consider the raspberry pi (smaller and less power needed)

thank you both for replying.

regards,
Jalal.

memjr

Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:13 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:54 pm
If your employer spends time and effort blocking some sites, be sure they don’t expect employees to circumvent their efforts.

Read your company’s guidelines before connecting to your Pi from work.
My employer does hit sort of thing. Trying to VPN to my pi from work is useless, as all non-http(s) traffic is blocked by default, unless the host has been whitelisted. They also block hosts that hits a DDNS host. Pretty amusing actually. The only way to access my Pi from work is to use my laptop (personal, not work's computer/laptop), use my phone's access point and then connect to the Pi.

You may have to do the same.

neilgl

Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:40 pm

"overseas" to "local" via pi VPN. Yes he can use a web browser. No TeamViwer needed.

thagrol

Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:14 pm

So you're wanting to use your Pi for two purposes:
  1. To get around your employer's firewall and fiters
  2. To get around geolocation issues forr an overseas computer.
Both can be done by running a VPN serrver and a suitable routing config on the Pi along with VPN clients on the remote machines. You'll probably need administrator rights on the client computers too.

Before you do that though you should consider the ramifications when you get caught.
  • You're opening every computer on your employer's network to untrusted and potentially dangerous software. One bad website viewed by you could seriously damage their business
  • Your employer will likely disipline you. That could be a minor telling off, a formal warning, a formal written warning, or loss of your job.
  • Even if you keep your job, expect to lose trust and privileges.
  • Your employer's IT department won't be happy with you either.
  • As for your friend's geoblocking issues, whether there is any comeback depends on the services/websites they're trying to access If you're trying to get around geographic restrictions on streaming services expect to have accounts blocked, banned, or cancelled. If that's done at the IP address levelm expect your Pi or home router to be banned to even if using different login accounts for the service.
TL;DR: technically possible but not recommended unless you understand and are willing to accept the consequences.
Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay for them.

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

jalal1118

Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:36 am

thagrol wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:14 pm
So you're wanting to use your Pi for two purposes:
  1. To get around your employer's firewall and fiters
  2. To get around geolocation issues forr an overseas computer.

TL;DR: technically possible but not recommended unless you understand and are willing to accept the consequences.
thank you all for replying.

(thagrol)....... thank you so much for your advice. my main thing was to find a simple way instead of having a laptop running 24/7 for my brother to access from overseas.

again, thank you everyone for your input.

regards,

stevenbowyer

Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:58 am

Why not just get your brother subscribed to a VPN service and cut out the middle-man?

jalal1118

Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:39 am

stevenbowyer wrote:
Why not just get your brother subscribed to a VPN service and cut out the middle-man?
that's a great idea, but my country doesn't support VPNs. I life in Saudi Arabia.

memjr

Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:03 pm

jalal1118 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:39 am
stevenbowyer wrote:
that's a great idea, but my country doesn't support VPNs. I life in Saudi Arabia.
Use WireGuard, you can set it up over https, it looks like any other https traffic and they can't block that.

MiscBits

Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:39 pm

Would VNC via their web offering work?

Never tried it internationally or via blocked security but it would be safer than opening everything up via a VPN.

thagrol

Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:28 pm

MiscBits wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:39 pm
Would VNC via their web offering work?

Never tried it internationally or via blocked security but it would be safer than opening everything up via a VPN.
It's been a while since I've looked into VNC but I'm far from certain that I'd expose a VNC server (on a Pi or anything else) directly to the public internet. You might not be exposing the employer's network with that approach but you could (will?) be exposing the Pi and potentially every machine on that network.
Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay for them.

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

MiscBits

Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:51 pm

thagrol wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:28 pm

It's been a while since I've looked into VNC but I'm far from certain that I'd expose a VNC server (on a Pi or anything else) directly to the public internet. You might not be exposing the employer's network with that approach but you could (will?) be exposing the Pi and potentially every machine on that network.
Agreed - the VNC ports here are occasionally probed - not as bad as ssh etc but still pop up.

The good news is that you do not need to - the web account from RealVNC works without any ports being open on the router or firewall. You have to set the free account up and define the device on the web, set the Pi up with the same account and then connect via your web account and basically, the connection starts from the Pi to RealVNC hosts and then you connect via them (almost a cross between a reverse proxy and VPN).

It's for home users only and no support - details here for the account T&Cs and here for the service and some tech details here.

It will even handle internal proxy servers if you have those details.

edit: Added the third link above...

Return to “Beginners”