jeremym

Re: STICKY: Bullseye - Comments and bug reports thread.

Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:55 pm

Yesterday, I updated 10 4B Pis running 64-bit bulleye, and all the power LEDs are lit, despite the following code in each /boot/config.txt file.

Code: Select all

dtparam=pwr_led_trigger=none
Both raspberrypi-bootloader and raspberrypi-kernel were updated to the latest stable version (1:1.20220811-1 arm64).

Why is this code not working any more, and what can I use instead to disable the power LEDs?

twilightened

Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:33 pm

64 bit and up to date. Chromium still causes irrevertable system freezes/lockups, especially on pages with embedded videos and animations. Keyboard and mouse does not respond during these occasions and a hard-reset is required.

rpdom

Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:12 pm

jeremym wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:55 pm
Yesterday, I updated 10 4B Pis running 64-bit bulleye, and all the power LEDs are lit, despite the following code in each /boot/config.txt file.

Both raspberrypi-bootloader and raspberrypi-kernel were updated to the latest stable version (1:1.20220811-1 arm64).

Why is this code not working any more, and what can I use instead to disable the power LEDs?
This has already been reported. It is not a bug. It is in fact a fix for an old bug and the old way that it was done was wrong.
Try these settings

dtparam=pwr_led_trigger=default-on   # The default
dtparam=pwr_led_activelow=off
As I understand it, that sets the LED to be "On" all the time, but switches the On state to be High which turns the LED off.
Unreadable squiggle

jeremym

Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:25 am

rpdom wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:12 pm
This has already been reported. It is not a bug. It is in fact a fix for an old bug and the old way that it was done was wrong.
Try these settings

dtparam=pwr_led_trigger=default-on   # The default
As I understand it, that sets the LED to be "On" all the time, but switches the On state to be High which turns the LED off.
Thanks rdrom.

A quick search of the previous page for the last few days only showed VNC issues. I didn't realise the change occurred more than a week ago.

ar51an

Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:34 pm

dom wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:26 am
ar51an wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:07 pm
Power LED is not switching off after regular kernel update to 5.15.56-v8+ through sudo apt full-upgrade.
I have below settings in config.txt for switching off power LED:

See https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1742
Thank you. The solution mentioned in the link worked, tested on RP4b with kernel 5.15.61-v8+.
So we only need to specify below line in config.txt:

Removing the trigger line sets the default trigger to "default-on":

jordana

Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:12 pm

twilightened wrote:
64 bit and up to date. Chromium still causes irrevertable system freezes/lockups, especially on pages with embedded videos and animations. Keyboard and mouse does not respond during these occasions and a hard-reset is required.
I experience the same with 64 bit and up to date.

Also wondering if we are badly missing security patches on Chromium. Version on Raspberry Pi OS is still 101.0.4951.57-rpt2 while in Debian stable Software section I see 103.0.5060.53-1~deb11u1 and Security section already advises to upgrade to 105.0.5195.52-1~deb11u1.

Undertow

Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:51 pm

jordana wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:12 pm
twilightened wrote:
I experience the same with 64 bit and up to date.

Also wondering if we are badly missing security patches on Chromium. Version on Raspberry Pi OS is still 101.0.4951.57-rpt2 while in Debian stable Software section I see 103.0.5060.53-1~deb11u1 and Security section already advises to upgrade to 105.0.5195.52-1~deb11u1.
In the last week or so I also saw multiple GUI lockups requiring a reboot on a Pi 400 running fully up to date 64 bit Raspberry Pi OS - all seemed to occur when playing videos in Chromium. At first I thought it was my overclock settings but it also happened after disabling all overclocking. It is no longer occurring and the last change I made before it didn't happen again was "gpu_mem=128" - I had left this at default for 64 bit Bullseye because of the changes in graphics memory allocation and all seemed to run fine up until now. One other possibility is something was broken in the previous kernel which was fixed in 5.15.61-v8+ . Another possibility is something is still broken and I'm just on a run of luck not hitting it :-)

jordana

Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:49 pm

Today I observed a version update:

chromium/stable-security 105.0.5195.102-1~deb11u1 arm64
web browser

chromium-browser/stable,now 104.0.5112.105-rpt2 arm64 [installed]
Chromium web browser, open-source version of Chrome

But I still had it freezing on me once...

geev03

Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:37 am

HDMI audio is not working on rPi4-8, but works on rPi-400
----------------------------------------------
System:
Host: raspberrypi Kernel: 5.15.61-v8+ aarch64 bits: 64 Desktop: GNOME
Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Machine:
Type: ARM Device System: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4 details: BCM2835
rev: d03114 serial: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CPU:
Info: Quad Core Model N/A [MCP] speed: 1800 MHz min/max: 600/1800 MHz
Graphics:
Device-1: bcm2711-hdmi0 driver: vc4_hdmi v: N/A
Device-2: bcm2711-hdmi1 driver: vc4_hdmi v: N/A
Device-3: bcm2711-vc5 driver: vc4_drm v: N/A
Display: wayland server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: modesetting
unloaded: fbdev resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: V3D 4.2 v: 2.1 Mesa 20.3.5
Network:
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 28.64 GiB used: 5.14 GiB (17.9%)
ID-1: /dev/sda type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Ultra USB 3.0
size: 28.64 GiB
Info:
Processes: 206 Uptime: 2m Memory: 7.7 GiB used: 650.6 MiB (8.2%)
gpu: 128 MiB Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.01
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

redvli

Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:56 pm

redvli wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:37 am
I gave HW encoding a new try on a Pi4 but no real luck, see dmesg part:
Transcoding worked after a reboot, this was with kernel 5.15.32
Now with kernel 5.15.61, it delivers a corrupted output, not a valid h264 stream.

To reproduce:
ffmpeg -i Jellyfish_1080_10s_30MB.mp4 -c:v h264_v4l2m2m Jellyfish_1080_10s_30MB.mp4.rpiHWaccel.mp4

I see also reports on github, like: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/5150

However I had made /boot/config.txt as default as possible, so for example removed also the dtoverlay=rpivid-v4l2 line.

If I now set CMA to 512 via:
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-512

and also increase default GPU memsize:
gpu_mem=256

the output h264 is valid, also the transcoding was almost realtime.

EDIT: It turns out to be random whether it works or not. I rebooted (no changes in config.txt) and now video is corrupted again. transcoding fps is less than half of realtime, so that seems to be an indicator.

rTomasa

Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:40 am

I've just installed the latest 2022-09-06-raspios-bullseye-arm64-lite and the audio via HDMI is not working anymore. Opening alsamixer and selecting vc4-hdmi says that the sound device has no controls (former PCM volume is not present anymore)

Solskogen

Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:00 pm

rTomasa wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:40 am
I've just installed the latest 2022-09-06-raspios-bullseye-arm64-lite and the audio via HDMI is not working anymore. Opening alsamixer and selecting vc4-hdmi says that the sound device has no controls (former PCM volume is not present anymore)
Install pulseaudio (or switch to fkms instead of kms in config.txt)

redvli

Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:14 am

Update/upgrade I did yesterday breaks network availability on my RasPiOS64 installation. Via serial console I see that NetworkManager has a problem with my VLAN configuration. dhcpcd.service isn't started and NetworkManager.service fails, that is the conclusion.

Workaround is to disable NetworkManager.service, then dhcpcd.service gets started as usual. Or maybe remove it completely, as it must have been installed/activated by the upgrade. On another Pi which is a clone network/VLAN wise, NetworkManager.service is not installed. If a run an update there, it will also fail I guess.

pidd

Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:15 pm

redvli wrote:
Update/upgrade I did yesterday breaks network availability on my RasPiOS64 installation. Via serial console I see that NetworkManager has a problem with my VLAN configuration. dhcpcd.service isn't started and NetworkManager.service fails, that is the conclusion.

Workaround is to disable NetworkManager.service, then dhcpcd.service gets started as usual. Or maybe remove it completely, as it must have been installed/activated by the upgrade. On another Pi which is a clone network/VLAN wise, NetworkManager.service is not installed. If a run an update there, it will also fail I guess.

NetworkManager is not enabled by default and is classed as beta at the moment,

rpi-update might enable NetworkManager instead of dhcpcd but that is non-standard.

redvli

Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:57 am

pidd wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:15 pm
redvli wrote:

NetworkManager is not enabled by default and is classed as beta at the moment,

rpi-update might enable NetworkManager instead of dhcpcd but that is non-standard.
no rpi-update, just apt update && apt full-upgrade

It turns out NetworkManager was already installed and also activated. So both dhcpcd.service and NetworkManager.service were active. I switched back to an earlier btrfs snapshot of the rootfs to check that.

But after the upgrade, dhcpcd.service was not started, although activated. And NetworkManager.service manages to set up all the bridges and VLANs, but not setting the IP address that it should get from the router. A quick check showed:

device (br0): failed to read bridge setting 'vlan_protocol'
device (br0): failed to read bridge setting 'vlan_stats_enabled'

but also many other messages that I don't understand well.

The difference with the other RasPiOS64 installation (same set of bridges and VLANs) is that that one still has the default GUI installation. But on this Pi, I ran tasksel to install Xfce Desktop. It is all part of the process of moving from 32-bit to 64-bit OS. The same Pi with 32-bit had multiple Desktops installed and last year in the upgrade from Buster to Bullseye, I had to disable/remove connman, as that manager conflicted/failed when a bridge was used. Similar problem I saw for Debian AMD64. Both Pi's have RTC, maybe that is also worth mentioning (timing).

On installations that were once 'Desktop' but actually run headless (systemctl get-default : multi-user.target) this can happen. Removing all X11/Desktop stuff is no option for this Pi as this is also my media player and I don't want to spent time on getting VLC etc working without X/Wayland/Desktop, if even possible. Thing regarding VC4 (HEVC decoding, H264 encoding, camera) is already enough troubles.

Bottomline is that is not easy or still not possible to have a handfull of bridges and VLANs (including WLAN hostapd) all activated by just /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/*.nmconnection file(s). I know it can be done by nmcli in a script or so, but that doesn't solve anything at the moment. But if someone has something like a router/accesspoint implemented with just NM, I'll be glad to know.

JacobRD23

Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:48 am

To whom it may concern,

I have made a long-form post in the troubleshooting section, however I think that I might want to link it here if it would interest you. It's about the Wayland implementation in the 64-bit RPiOS.

You'll be able to read it here.
viewtopic.php?p=2039691#p2039691
Jacob Davis
"The Autistic Power User of the Internet"

"Old Longing's nomadic leap, chafing at custom's chain,
Again, from its brumal sleep, wakens the ferine strain."
-Jack London, Call of the Wild

twilightened

Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:40 pm

Latest updates caused a little bit of a problem on my end. At first it was the GTK3 dependency error. Then i tried to do the updates from the terminal which actually did it. However Chromium was only uninstalled and not reinstalled. So i manually reinstalled it. Everything works now but it was kind of weird.

UPDATE: Ok here is the problem. My system is 64 bit but i was using 32 bit Chromium for "widewine" purposes. So the latest updates gave me an error as i was using 32 versions of some packages. I then entered "sudo apt full-upgrade" which uninstalled my Chromium. In a mishap, i reinstalled Chromium without checking what version i was installing and obviously, it was 64 bit. When i tried to play some music through Spotify i realized that it wasn't working. I reverted back to 32 bit Chromium by entering the following command:

sudo apt install chromium-browser:armhf libwidevinecdm0

And now everything works. So developers, please bear in mind that most of us are still using the 32 bit Chromium under 64 bit OS.

JacobRD23

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:44 pm

I've had the same issue myself, but for now I decided to stick with Firefox, which was installed to replace my Chromium.
twilightened wrote:
Latest updates caused a little bit of a problem on my end. At first it was the GTK3 dependency error. Then i tried to do the updates from the terminal which actually did it. However Chromium was only uninstalled and not reinstalled. So i manually reinstalled it. Everything works now but it was kind of weird.

UPDATE: Ok here is the problem. My system is 64 bit but i was using 32 bit Chromium for "widewine" purposes. So the latest updates gave me an error as i was using 32 versions of some packages. I then entered "sudo apt full-upgrade" which uninstalled my Chromium. In a mishap, i reinstalled Chromium without checking what version i was installing and obviously, it was 64 bit. When i tried to play some music through Spotify i realized that it wasn't working. I reverted back to 32 bit Chromium by entering the following command:

And now everything works. So developers, please bear in mind that most of us are still using the 32 bit Chromium under 64 bit OS.
Jacob Davis
"The Autistic Power User of the Internet"

"Old Longing's nomadic leap, chafing at custom's chain,
Again, from its brumal sleep, wakens the ferine strain."
-Jack London, Call of the Wild

twilightened

Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:58 am

JacobRD23 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:44 pm
I've had the same issue myself, but for now I decided to stick with Firefox, which was installed to replace my Chromium.
twilightened wrote:

Firefox is ok but you still can't play Spotify on it and if i am not mistaken, its youtube performance is still lackluster.

max11

Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:58 pm

System Raspi4b 4gb, Bullseye with rec. software

Today i installed Bullseye on a new sd card, made all updates (system is up to date) etc and switched via raspi-config ssh and vnc on.
So far so good.
I then installed Kodi. From Buster i know that i have to check the troubleshooting options in the vnc-server menu.
Having set these options the vnc symbol disappears from the panel list. A reboot doesn't bring it back.
Thus i cannot change settings in the vnc-server anymore.
How do i get it back?

Max11

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:39 pm

I don't believe you can run kodi (or any app which uses drm layers directly) using VNC.

max11

Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:55 pm

I can run vnc on buster and 'watch' Kodi. That is, i use it for the menues, to watch a movie via vnc is basically working, but heavily stuttering.
VNC is only used if i select from the menu or have to fill out something.

BTW: that is not a solution for the missing vnc symbol on the panel .(my problem) - This happens already BEFORE i try to start kodi. VNC just disappears after having made changes in the VNC-Server menue.

ejolson

Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:08 pm

dom wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:39 pm
I don't believe you can run kodi (or any app which uses drm layers directly) using VNC.
I thought the advantage of RealVNC over other remote desktop applications on the Pi was that it scanned the GPU frame so video and 3D acceleration could be used by running the applications.

dom

Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:59 am

max11 wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:55 pm
I can run vnc on buster and 'watch' Kodi. That is, i use it for the menues, to watch a movie via vnc is basically working, but heavily stuttering.
VNC is only used if i select from the menu or have to fill out something.
I use the kodi remote app on iPhone for that - allows copy/paste of email addresss, urls etc when setting up addons.

dom

Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:02 am

ejolson wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:08 pm
I thought the advantage of RealVNC over other remote desktop applications on the Pi was that it scanned the GPU frame so video and 3D acceleration could be used by running the applications.
That may be using dispmanx_snapshot to grab the gpu framebuffer, which won't be available on kms.
(The kms writeback connector has similar functionality, but I suspect isn't supported).

Switching to fkms driver may be a workaround.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”