mikcatta

Remote Pi display (with touchscreen) ?

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:28 am

Hello

Iam looking for suggestions for a remote display that can be used approximately 10ft away from the Pi. Unfortunately we cannot move the Pi.

The display would need to be touchscreen, to enable simple user input (pin or password, menu selection) and would need to be fairly robust, to survive some "heavy handed" users.

If the display needs its own microcontroller to drive the display, communicate with the pi etc, that would be acceptable and maybe even preferable.

This will be a commercial product, so will need to be available in quantities off 50+ pieces.
Last edited by mikcatta on Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Remote Pi display (with touchscreen) ?

Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:05 am

10ft = 3.048m, correct?

Why not simply use a good quality HDMI cable? USB (for touch) will be an issue thought as it's specified for 2m only. So a USB repeater cable should be used.

mikcatta

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:03 pm

I am looking for display ideas that will at that distance. Cheers

aBUGSworstnightmare

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:16 pm

mikcatta wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:03 pm
I am looking for display ideas that will at that distance. Cheers
FPD-Link III - that's what you should look into. No off the shelf solution available (AFIK) so will require some decent knowledge by you to get it working.

FPD-Link III will also allow to connect a I2C touch in the backchannel. It requires a single coax cable between your host and the display device (power needs extra wires for sure).

thagrol

Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:53 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:05 am
it's specified for 2m only. So a USB repeater cable should be used.
Depends on the version. IIRC USB 2 is specc'd for 5m.
Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay for them.

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

thagrol

Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:56 pm

mikcatta wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:28 am
If the display needs its own microcontroller to drive the display, communicate with the pi etc, that would be acceptable and maybe even preferable.
Go old school. Use a networked Pi running an X server and tell your application to use that display rather than the default.

Or use a Pi running a VNC client connected to a VNC server on the other/existing one.
Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay for them.

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.

mikcatta

Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:37 am

Has anyone used the Pi Pico to drive the display, communicating with the Pi3 over serial, USB or WiFi?

Geek3579

Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:22 am

I've just setup a headless Pi2 with Rasberry Pi OS, accessed on an old iPad2 using VNC. The Pi sits next to the router and is connected by a LAN cable and has a static IP.

I use this setup as a browser, as the iPad is well past it in terms of browsers being updated, thanks to the apple built-in-obsolesence.

No audio access, I'm afraid.

mikcatta

Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:27 pm

Not really reproducible at scale, but thankyou

thagrol

Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:07 pm

mikcatta wrote:
Not really reproducible at scale
How large a scale are you looking at and is this for a commercial project (i.e. one to be sold for profit, used as part of a for profit production process, etc.)?

If commercial, you'll probabbly get better and more targeted advice by employing a consutant that is local to you who can then discuss your actual requirements and potential solutions in real time.

We're largely volunteers spread all over the world and some of us try to avoid "for profit" posters seeking free support and advice. Especialy if they're not upfront about it (or is that last bit just me?).

aBUGSworstnightmare

Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:28 am

f
mikcatta wrote:
Not really reproducible at scale, but thankyou
if you're up for ideas on a commercial solution then good luck, I'm out (as I don't offer FOC consulting).
thagrol wrote: We're largely volunteers spread all over the world and some of us try to avoid "for profit" posters seeking free support and advice. Especialy if they're not upfront about it (or is that last bit just me?).
+1
It's not just you @thagrol!

mikcatta

Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:29 pm

Ok, thank you for your suggestions guys

Return to “Other projects”