pepperysunshine

LTE without GPIO pins

Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:57 am

Hi all,

I'm very new to raspberrry pi's, and I'm wondering what options there are (if any) to connect my raspberry pi to LTE without having to use the GPIO pins. I want to be able to have my raspberry pi be basically anywhere and able to upload data that it collects in a machine I intend to connect it to.
I'm experienced in software, but not with much hardware, so googling this has been a bit confusing.

Thank you in advance!

ame

Re: LTE without GPIO pins

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:08 am

Purchase an external LTE modem with an Ethernet port. Plug the Pi into it.
Hmm. What can I put here?

pepperysunshine

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:27 pm

ame wrote: Purchase an external LTE modem with an Ethernet port. Plug the Pi into it.
Thank you for the response!!

So out of curiosity, why would one prefer a HAT like the sixfab https://sixfab.com/product/raspberry-pi ... s/#reviews ? It says it can work connected to just the micro usb? But I think I saw some place that the micro usb needs to be connected to a computer or something? I could have read wrong because I can't find the source of that again.

ame

Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:43 pm

pepperysunshine wrote:
ame wrote: Purchase an external LTE modem with an Ethernet port. Plug the Pi into it.
Thank you for the response!!

So out of curiosity, why would one prefer a HAT like the sixfab https://sixfab.com/product/raspberry-pi ... s/#reviews ? It says it can work connected to just the micro usb? But I think I saw some place that the micro usb needs to be connected to a computer or something? I could have read wrong because I can't find the source of that again.
That HAT uses the GPIO pins, which is what you said you didn't want to do. But don't forget, you also need to buy a modem module to plug into the HAT.

If you are confused about something with the "micro USB" then you need to state exactly what is confusing you. Your statement is a bit vague, but probably a non-issue.

pepperysunshine

Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:44 pm

ame wrote:
pepperysunshine wrote:
That HAT uses the GPIO pins, which is what you said you didn't want to do. But don't forget, you also need to buy a modem module to plug into the HAT.

If you are confused about something with the "micro USB" then you need to state exactly what is confusing you. Your statement is a bit vague, but probably a non-issue.
Sorry for that vagueness-- I read in their FAQ section that you can use the sixfab HAT using just the microusb connection (and none of the GPIO pins) And I worried I misunderstood the meaning.. but I believe what I read is correct after all! A non-issue :)

By "LTE modem" in your first response, I just want to make sure I'm thinking correctly here.. I could buy any modem like this (https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-LTE-Broa ... B01MQRHQW4) that uses a sim card, and plug the Rpi to it through ethernet and it will basically be plug and play?

ame

Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:56 pm

pepperysunshine wrote:
ame wrote:
pepperysunshine wrote:

Sorry for that vagueness-- I read in their FAQ section that you can use the sixfab HAT using just the microusb connection (and none of the GPIO pins) And I worried I misunderstood the meaning.. but I believe what I read is correct after all! A non-issue :)

By "LTE modem" in your first response, I just want to make sure I'm thinking correctly here.. I could buy any modem like this (https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-LTE-Broa ... B01MQRHQW4) that uses a sim card, and plug the Rpi to it through ethernet and it will basically be plug and play?
I have no idea for that particular model, but it's the sort of thing I had in mind. You should research carefully, but the things you are looking for are power requirements, any accessories, SIM compatibility, network compatibility, and so on. In some regards it's a black box: put a SIM in it, and you have a live Ethernet socket for your network devices. In other regards there are many manufacturers and models to choose from, so some are better than others, or some are better than others for certain applications.

pepperysunshine

Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:34 pm

ame wrote:
pepperysunshine wrote:
ame wrote:
I have no idea for that particular model, but it's the sort of thing I had in mind. You should research carefully, but the things you are looking for are power requirements, any accessories, SIM compatibility, network compatibility, and so on. In some regards it's a black box: put a SIM in it, and you have a live Ethernet socket for your network devices. In other regards there are many manufacturers and models to choose from, so some are better than others, or some are better than others for certain applications.
Thank you very much! :)

Return to “Beginners”