User_user
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 am

window settings

Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:53 pm

Image Hi
I have raspberry pi OS installed. explain to me how to move these to the left. so that the window is controlled from the left side. installed by Gnome silence. what are the raspberry pi tools for this? just move the buttons without changing the theme

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 4555
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: window settings

Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:29 pm

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout 'close,maximize,minimize:'

User_user
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 am

Re: window settings

Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:09 pm

[https://ibb.co/H45V7xV] don't have a tab "window border"

User_user
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 am

Re: window settings

Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:12 pm

kerry_s wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:29 pm

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout 'close,maximize,minimize:'
you didn't understand the question

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 31814
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: window settings

Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:22 pm

User_user wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:12 pm
kerry_s wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:29 pm

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout 'close,maximize,minimize:'
you didn't understand the question
The answer did exactly what you requested, moved the window top bar icons (Close, minimise, maximise) to the left of the window.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

User_user
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 am

Re: window settings

Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:32 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:22 pm
User_user wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:12 pm
kerry_s wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:29 pm

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout 'close,maximize,minimize:'
you didn't understand the question
The answer did exactly what you requested, moved the window top bar icons (Close, minimise, maximise) to the left of the window.
they haven't moved.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 31814
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: window settings

Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:35 pm

Hmm, worked first time for me on a stock Raspberry Pi OS. Make sure you copy the line in to the terminal exactly as written above. Any extra spaces or spelling mistakes and it won't work as expected.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

User_user
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 am

Re: window settings

Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:43 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:35 pm
Hmm, worked first time for me on a stock Raspberry Pi OS. Make sure you copy the line in to the terminal exactly as written above. Any extra spaces or spelling mistakes and it won't work as expected.
dconf-warning **: : failed to conmit .... the connection is closed

klricks
Posts: 8548
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Location: Grants Pass, OR, USA

Re: window settings

Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:39 pm

kerry_s wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:29 pm

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout 'close,maximize,minimize:'
For me this command only worked when system is running with Mutter and did nothing when running Openbox.
For Openbox using obconf works

Code: Select all

obconf
In Appearance tab --> Change Button Order from LIMC to IMCL
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPi OS Bullseye w/ Desktop OS.

User_user
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 am

Re: window settings

Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:02 pm

klricks wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:39 pm
kerry_s wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:29 pm

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout 'close,maximize,minimize:'
For me this command only worked when system is running with Mutter and did nothing when running Openbox.
For Openbox using obconf works

Code: Select all

obconf
In Appearance tab --> Change Button Order from LIMC to IMCL
thank you gentlemen. I'll put the raspberry pi in the closet. before the arrival of the kernel version 6.9, this will be an excuse to get it out of the closet thanks ;)

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 4555
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: window settings

Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:47 pm

maybe you should have told us your pi version.
if your running anything less than a rpi4-2gb the answer is very different.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-11-22 10-44-01.png
Screenshot from 2022-11-22 10-44-01.png (20.73 KiB) Viewed 512 times
Screenshot from 2022-11-22 10-44-29.png
Screenshot from 2022-11-22 10-44-29.png (31.62 KiB) Viewed 512 times
Screenshot from 2022-11-22 10-44-57.png
Screenshot from 2022-11-22 10-44-57.png (39.94 KiB) Viewed 512 times

User_user
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 am

Re: window settings

Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:45 am

kerry_s wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:47 pm
maybe you should have told us your pi version.
if your running anything less than a rpi4-2gb the answer is very different.
Image
8Gb RAM.

User_user
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 am

Re: window settings

Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:46 am

kerry_s wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:47 pm
maybe you should have told us your pi version.
if your running anything less than a rpi4-2gb the answer is very different.
https://ibb.co/Zh4YFkr

User_user
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 am

Re: window settings

Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:53 am

User_user wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:46 am
kerry_s wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:47 pm
maybe you should have told us your pi version.
if your running anything less than a rpi4-2gb the answer is very different.
https://ibb.co/Zh4YFkr
the new kernel release will cause interest in building a kernel for this board. if you are developers, do not take away this opportunity in the future. thank you so much for your support guys. you have a very strong community.

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 4555
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: window settings

Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:23 am

the new kernel release will cause interest in building a kernel for this board. if you are developers, do not take away this opportunity in the future. thank you so much for your support guys. you have a very strong community.
i don't get it, whats wrong with the current stable kernel?

there's also the option of going with another os that's more up-to-date, manjaro, ubuntu, fedora, etc....

is there something in particular your after?

kinda feels like your trolling us :lol:

some of us play with other os's, if it's not to fringe someone can usually help.
i'm currently learning my way around fydeOS now that HWA works.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-11-23 1.23.11 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-11-23 1.23.11 AM.png (79.72 KiB) Viewed 380 times

User_user
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 am

Re: window settings

Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:15 pm

kerry_s wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:23 am
the new kernel release will cause interest in building a kernel for this board. if you are developers, do not take away this opportunity in the future. thank you so much for your support guys. you have a very strong community.
i don't get it, whats wrong with the current stable kernel?

there's also the option of going with another os that's more up-to-date, manjaro, ubuntu, fedora, etc....

is there something in particular your after?

kinda feels like your trolling us :lol:

some of us play with other os's, if it's not to fringe someone can usually help.
i'm currently learning my way around fydeOS now that HWA works.
in the current version of the kernels, I am not satisfied with everything. absolutely everything. but this is a huge material for creating a new one . a new Linux will be built on this. I think that the foundation will already be laid in version 7.0. I'm not a troll. this is not confirmed data. I just hope so. you're doing a great job. thank you

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 31814
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: window settings

Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:40 pm

User_user wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:15 pm
kerry_s wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:23 am
the new kernel release will cause interest in building a kernel for this board. if you are developers, do not take away this opportunity in the future. thank you so much for your support guys. you have a very strong community.
i don't get it, whats wrong with the current stable kernel?

there's also the option of going with another os that's more up-to-date, manjaro, ubuntu, fedora, etc....

is there something in particular your after?

kinda feels like your trolling us :lol:

some of us play with other os's, if it's not to fringe someone can usually help.
i'm currently learning my way around fydeOS now that HWA works.
in the current version of the kernels, I am not satisfied with everything. absolutely everything. but this is a huge material for creating a new one . a new Linux will be built on this. I think that the foundation will already be laid in version 7.0. I'm not a troll. this is not confirmed data. I just hope so. you're doing a great job. thank you
Sorry, this makes no sense, and seems entirely unrelated to the original question which was not related to the kernel at all.

Kernels with a major version of 7 won't be out for quite a few years. We are not even on 6 yet.

Which parts of the kernel are you not satisfied with?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

User_user
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 am

Re: window settings

Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:49 pm

I was asked a question, and out of politeness I tried to answer.
jamesh wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:40 pm

Sorry, this makes no sense, and seems entirely unrelated to the original question which was not related to the kernel at all.
Which parts of the kernel are you not satisfied with?
since talking about the kernel is irrelevant to the topic for you, then I will not answer them. with respect to you.

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 20858
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: window settings

Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:23 pm

User_user wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:49 pm
I was asked a question, and out of politeness I tried to answer.
jamesh wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:40 pm
Sorry, this makes no sense, and seems entirely unrelated to the original question which was not related to the kernel at all.
Which parts of the kernel are you not satisfied with?
since talking about the kernel is irrelevant to the topic for you, then I will not answer them. with respect to you.
Perhaps if you wish to discuss the issues you have with the current kernel, you could start a new topic?

I'm sure people will be interested to hear what you have to say.
Unreadable squiggle

User_user
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 am

Re: window settings

Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:29 pm

rpdom wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:23 pm

I'm sure people will be interested to hear what you have to say.
good joke. :D
okay guys, we are waiting for improvements. they will definitely come.

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 20858
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: window settings

Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:52 pm

User_user wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:29 pm
rpdom wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:23 pm

I'm sure people will be interested to hear what you have to say.
good joke. :D
okay guys, we are waiting for improvements. they will definitely come.
No joke. Are you being serious? It doesn't sound like it.
Unreadable squiggle

User_user
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 am

Re: window settings

Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:26 pm

rpdom wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:52 pm
if people really wanted to know what others think, they wouldn't try to ban me on all Linux forums.

epoch1970
Posts: 8170
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 9:33 am
Location: France

Re: window settings

Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:58 pm

User_user wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:26 pm
rpdom wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:52 pm
if people really wanted to know what others think, they wouldn't try to ban me on all Linux forums.
And they don’t succeed?
It’s not that hard I think. Maybe others will demonstrate.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 31814
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: window settings

Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:50 pm

Seems this topic has lost any validity.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”